So long, Ender's Game!

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

So long, Ender's Game!

Postby Boothby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:00 am

Well, there's no much action here, or at EndersAnsible, or at EnderNews.

And there's no new "News" on the web about "Ender's Game" (film production or otherwise)

Are there some other, larger Ender's Game websites that I just don't know about? Is there some HUGE Ender's Game fan-base out there that goes somewhere else for their news and their chatter? Or, perhaps, just sits quietly at home, reading and re-reading the Ender's game and Shadow series books over and over and over again?

So, two questions:

1) What in the world is happening to post-production on this film? and

2) Where's this great, big, propelling "fan base" I keep hearing so much about? And why aren't they (we?*) doing anything? I know part of the answer: because "there's no 'there' there" for us to help. It's like pushing a rope.

* I've intentionally excluded myself from that "we," since I've already burnt myself, and my welcome, out by my incessant beating upon the shores and virtual doors of Digital Domain, Odd Lot, Summit, etc., in my efforts to contribute to the production design of this film. Darian Robbins has continued to carry that torch, as have the people running the sites I've mentioned, but...who else? Where are the production companies (who DO visit these sites--or, at least, DID), asking for our moral support, or our oft-proffered help?

This production effort is coming off as a big ol' slice of FAIL, though I'd love to be proven wrong...

Does anyone care to comment? Is there anyone left that isn't just here to discuss the non-existence of Gof, or the existence of pretty flying unicorn ponies?
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Nutmeg
Launchie
Launchie

Re: So long, Ender's Game!

Postby Nutmeg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:12 pm

This production effort is coming off as a big ol' slice of FAIL, though I'd love to be proven wrong...
Hate to say it, but that line sums it up for me too :(

I typed up a longer reply but my connection has been a bit wonky today and it didn't get posted, so this will do for now.

drobbins
Launchie
Launchie

Postby drobbins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Steve,

I lament the lack of promotion for the movie just as much as you do. I'm sure some of this lack of promotion has to do with the Digital Domain Bankruptcy. I still think that they are sorting out contractual and financial stuff behind the scenes and maybe that is preventing them from moving forward.

I wouldn't say I'm carrying any type of torch, Steve. I'm just trying to purge out my fanboy feelings and ideas about how I would make and market movie so I can obsess about other things in life.
Those pieces were not hard to do, I just tried to make visual representations of Enderverse the fan base would know that are familiar with the story.

I think they started out well with the Production Blog and initial efforts to reach out to various fan sites. In my mind those efforts were generating a good buzz for the project, and I just HOPED and EXPECTED that they would keep it up to keep the fan base interested. That's were my problem lies, I have such high hopes for this movie, I expected it to be marketed in a certain way. I am projecting my own desires on something that I don't own, nor control.

In answer to your 1st your question, I would expect that they are finishing up the Special EFX and editing for a trailer at minimum. I would think they would also want that trailer to be attached to the Twilight Movie that's coming out in November. That is a huge fan base that they should want to be getting interested in the Movie for next year, purely for economic reasons.

-Darian

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:21 pm

I wonder if I asked some of my "Links" to DD, Summit, etc., what was going on, if they'd be able to tell me anything.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:38 pm

Darian,

I didn't mean "carrying a torch" in a bad way....

You make a good point, though....If I had ANY money left (and it's not just DD that had invested, so there SHOULD be other funds available), I would create a trailer for release with Twilight in order to bring up the interest in EG, which would help put together more financing for the film.

But they're not merely "finishing up" the VFX. They'll be working on the VFX until mid-year, at least. If we're lucky, they're just getting started.
--Boothby

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:28 pm

So this movie hasn't made any progress still? :(
We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond
We will dance among the world that orbit stars that aren't our sun
All the oxygen that trapped us in a carbon spider's web
Solar winds are whispering, you may hear the sirens of the dead.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:07 pm

I haven't heard anything.

When I wrote and bitched about it (I admit--I'm a little miffed) on "EnderNews" I was reminded to "be patient and wait"

I've BEEN patient. Nothing happens. I find that the best way to make things happen is to push, and ask, and offer to help. But that hasn't worked, either.

I've done a search for recent updates--nothing. I've done a search for what Twilight and Hunger Games fan activity and film production activity was like roughly a year before the releases of those films--there was a heck of a lot more activity there. (And, lest we forget, EG was initially touted as the next best young-teen-film franchise, so it was being compared DIRECTLY against Twilight and Hunger Games.)

Maybe I should try some of my contacts with Digital Domain to see if they 1) know anything, and 2) are allowed to comment.
--Boothby

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:17 pm

(I just asked...we shall see)
--Boothby

drobbins
Launchie
Launchie

Postby drobbins » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Steve,

Don't worry, I didn't take the "torch" comment in a bad way. I see your point. I think they will be trying to focus first on some VFX shots that that can be used in the trailer. In my opinion, you don't need anything elaborate. This could just be a "teaser" for the real trailer. I think they could pull together an interesting trailer with just the live footage they shot in front of the real portions of the set.

Contacting your contacts?! What are you doing Steve?! Starting trouble again I see. I'm telling Hollywood! Your never going to work in this town ever again! :)

Given Digital Domain's money issues, I wonder if their creditors would of allowed them to stay afloat a little longer if they started their movie merchandising campaign early in some capacity. Now I realize that also takes some money to do, but maybe the financial and online sharing by the fan base would of been enough to show their creditors that there is potential for a good stream of revenue in this movie they just need to hold out a little longer.

They showed us a picture of the International Fleet symbol on the Production Blog. In my mind, the same day I would of dropped a website where you could purchase the IF Fleet logo on a mug, T-shirt, Iphone case, etc. Maybe that would of inspired the fan base to buy some items that could of went to generating a profit for the movie...

Then again...they did have a a lot of debt so it might of ending up being just pennies in a well. I dunno I'm just thinking out loud.

...sigh

I'm just saying I'm ready to support with my wallet, if the production team has something to buy on theirs.

I'm still betting that they attach a trailer to the Twilight movie com November.

-Darian

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Contacting your contacts?! What are you doing Steve?! Starting trouble again I see. I'm telling Hollywood! Your never going to work in this town ever again!
But, Darian, I have never WORKED in that town!

Well, just the once, designing the giant rotating whale for Spike Lee's "CLOCKERS."

http://youtu.be/FZXeB8-PHu4 (roughly the 30 second mark)
--Boothby

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:28 am

I'm still betting that they attach a trailer to the Twilight movie com November.
I think you'll lose that bet. That would be rather early for a trailer even if everything was going well, wouldn't it?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

drobbins
Launchie
Launchie

Postby drobbins » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:02 pm

I think you'll lose that bet. That would be rather early for a trailer even if everything was going well, wouldn't it?
True and I guess. Obviously I'm not a movie industry player so I don't know what the time frame usually is for when you put trailers out for movies. I'm simply got my marketing hat on. If I was running Summit (Lionsgate or whoever) knowing this is my last Twilight movie and knowing how big that audience is, you can best believe I'm going to let them know about other movies I got in the works, like Ender's Game. This time next year, I want your butt buying tickets and sitting in those same seats.

The trailer can be real simple at this point. I think a initial good trailer could be made with a combination of the live footage they filmed on full sets plus one shot of something CGI.

That's just my opinion though.

-Darian

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Do any of us know who gets to select what trailers are associated with what film releases? Is it the producer(s)? Is it the theater?

But it wouldn't be the first time that a production company released a trailer for a film that never appeared--or appeared (unintentionally) years later
--Boothby

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:53 pm

True and I guess. Obviously I'm not a movie industry player so I don't know what the time frame usually is for when you put trailers out for movies. I'm simply got my marketing hat on. If I was running Summit (Lionsgate or whoever) knowing this is my last Twilight movie and knowing how big that audience is, you can best believe I'm going to let them know about other movies I got in the works, like Ender's Game. This time next year, I want your butt buying tickets and sitting in those same seats.

The trailer can be real simple at this point. I think a initial good trailer could be made with a combination of the live footage they filmed on full sets plus one shot of something CGI.

-Darian
I really hope you're right. We've heard essentially zip from the movie team in the last 5 months. Now would be a great time to see what's up their sleeves.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

theAntiPeter
Launchie
Launchie

Postby theAntiPeter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:11 am

Saw this on CNN yesterday. Hope?! November 1st?!

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/04 ... appointed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:43 pm

-Darian
I really hope you're right. We've heard essentially zip from the movie team in the last 5 months. Now would be a great time to see what's up their sleeves.
I heard that with Hunger Games they had a "teaser" trailer, that they showed especially early to gain attention and satisfy fans.
Also how about I just go around the school and tell random people (oh wait I already did that)
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 pm

I just have this gut wrenching feeling that the movie is going to do horrible in the box office.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:43 pm

I know a lot of people who are planning to see it. I just think the fan base is a lot older and less internet connected than newer series.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:49 pm

I just have this gut wrenching feeling that the movie is going to do horrible in the box office.
I think it'll be a moderate success at the very least. Summit has a lot of faith in this movie, enough that they gave it a prime release date (after production finished--coincidence?), it has over a $100 million dollar budget so you know it'll have a massive marketing push, and science fiction movies are *in*. I think it has the potential to do quite well, and I don't say that just because I'm a fan. I simply believe the timing is right.

Salaam

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:23 pm

I know a lot of people who are planning to see it. I just think the fan base is a lot older and less internet connected than newer series.

I think the phrase is, "Bitch, please..."
--Boothby

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:40 am

This film could catastrophically tank in the box office and I wouldn't care. I just want to see it, I don't care if anyone else does or not. Sure, doing poorly in the box office will hurt any chance for sequels, but I don't think there's much of a chance for sequels anyway.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm

I'm pretty sure they're thinking along the lines of sequels (they would follow the Shadow Saga) and are approaching EG as an Ender/Bean film.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm pretty sure they're thinking along the lines of sequels (they would follow the Shadow Saga) and are approaching EG as an Ender/Bean film.
Oh, who am I kidding. I'd kill for those sequels. :shock:

allenwatson23
Launchie
Launchie

Postby allenwatson23 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:52 pm

Nobody has even mentioned this controversy. It may have to do with the promotion aspect of the movie.

http://authorallenwatson.wordpress.com/ ... adventure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Huge Ender's Game fan and a lover of reading. First book due out soon!
http://authorallenwatson.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Nobody has even mentioned this controversy. It may have to do with the promotion aspect of the movie.
I think it's probably "old news" to many of us here, and I think, at least personally, that we've accepted the fact that authors are people too, and they can have and express their own politics, opinions and views. They're even allowed to write about it and talk about it ... hopefully in respectful ways.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

allenwatson23
Launchie
Launchie

Postby allenwatson23 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 pm

I agree. And I'm sure it is old news here, but this is a small portion of the audience that they have to reach if they want a success at the box office. Many people are going to find out about Card's views at the worst time. I just honestly hope it does not affect the movie. I want nothing more than for there to be a new Ender love affair with a younger crowd.
http://authorallenwatson.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 am

true... people do tend to get on their soapboxes at the most incredible (senseless) times...

Actually, it baffles me sometimes. I cannot reconcile the intense dislike and negative actions of someone for those whose opinion differs from their own ... with the intense dislike and actions of people who are taking action against such dislikers. Confusing, I know...

Anyway, if people decide not to watch EG because they have something to teach OSC, then they're not being as open-minded and accepting as they preach either... which ironically puts them in the same camp, as far as I'm concerned.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:52 am

Anyway, if people decide not to watch EG because they have something to teach OSC, then they're not being as open-minded and accepting as they preach either... which ironically puts them in the same camp, as far as I'm concerned.
You're right. I just hope that potential boycotters of the film realize that many many people, from various backgrounds and political camps, came together to create this story on film for the sake of the art (and money, but whatever). If they boycott it, they're hurting not only OSC but all the actors and production personnel involved.

But, since the masses love to jump on stupid pseudo-political bandwagon crusades, I'm sure none of them will consider that.

allenwatson23
Launchie
Launchie

Postby allenwatson23 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 am

This movie honestly has little to do with OSC other than it being based on his book. It is very doubtful that anyone on production staff shares his views. It is Hollywood, right?

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:30 am

This movie honestly has little to do with OSC other than it being based on his book. It is very doubtful that anyone on production staff shares his views. It is Hollywood, right?
Actually, OSC is a producer.
It's Hollywood and New Orleans.
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:57 pm

The concern is that a meaningful percentage of any money that goes to OSC goes to oppose same-sex marriage and other Liberal causes. Card tithes to the Mormon church, which has been a major contributor in opposition to Gay Marriage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/15/us/po ... d=all&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition he is a board member for the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), so he actually has a say in how that organization opposes Gay Marriage:

http://www.nationformarriage.org/site/c ... 0/Home.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If nothing else, NOM is leading a campaign to "Dump Starbucks," so if you don't care about equality, but do like a nice semi-bitter cup of coffee and endless packets of "Sugar in the Raw"...

http://www.nomblog.com/27311/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not like what you and I do--changing our profile picture on Facebook and trolling Conservative websites and the Glenn Beck fan-page. Card's money and efforts go to opposing Liberal causes (if you're a Conservative, I have to think you'll have no problem seeing the movie, so this info doesn't really impact you)
--Boothby

allenwatson23
Launchie
Launchie

Postby allenwatson23 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:27 pm

As some here have seen on my blog, I certainly don't agree with Card's views. Sometimes I wish I didn't like EG as much as I do. Then it would be easier to say, "I'm not seeing this movie because of him." I do recognize that his views are pretty common, especially where I live (SC). I wish he could just stay out of the debate, and I'm surprised he didn't pull off of the board of NOM in anticipation of the movie coming out.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Then either he thinks it won't have an impact, he doesn't want to ""back down," or staying on the board is more important to him that risking a small percentage of "boycotters"
--Boothby

StoneGirl8
Launchie
Launchie

Postby StoneGirl8 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Since he's so passionate about what he believes, I bet Card could care less about the box office. Why should he when he's still raking in the money for his books? :roll:

Personally, I think it's all moot anyway. The movie smells to me like another Eragon. Does anyone remember when that travesty of a movie came out? It was greatly anticipated because of the success of the book series, but the movie was no where close to upholding its promise. It had tons of special effects, but the soul of the book was missing (as well as a lot of important plot points). It did so terribly, that they never even tried to shoot the movie for the next book in the series.

I'll be crushed if this turns out to be the Ender's Game movie's fate. I want movies for the rest of the Ender continuum!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Eragon was indeed a travesty, but it had all the trappings of failure (Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, and Robert Carlyle aside) well before it hit theaters. Gavin Hood is definitely not Stefen Fangmeier.

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”