Ender's Game Publicity

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Ender's Game Publicity

Postby Cassandra » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:38 am

Looks like Summit Entertainment and Lionsgate are stepping Up their advertisement:

http://www.endersansible.com/2012/03/18 ... enes-blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this is half as good as how they handled the Hunger Games I'm going to jump up and down!

Edit: Could this be the unfinished tumblr? http://endersgamemovie.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Re: Ender's Game Publicity

Postby Mich » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 am

Hurm, very sweet news. My go-to place for updates might change from being Ender's Ansible! Of course, I imagine you'll point out anything of interest that shows up, so no need to panic.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:26 am

Sounds good to me :D I hope it has an RSS feed so I can plop it onto my iGoogle.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

drobbins
Launchie
Launchie

Postby drobbins » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:08 am

How about a surprise trailer attached to the Hunger Games movie opening? I think it would be good look if they had enough film to pull it off.

Just my two cents..

--D

Lord Roem
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lord Roem » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:25 am

How about a surprise trailer attached to the Hunger Games movie opening? I think it would be good look if they had enough film to pull it off.

Just my two cents..

--D
No, no, definitely not. Editing will only happen after shooting. Long ways away I'm afraid.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 am

Teaser trailers often are made with very little and often no shot footage.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:56 pm

JJ Abrams made a teaser trailer for SUPER 8 and CLOVERFIELD prior to filming... I wouldn't say it's out of the question. And the first HUNGER GAMES trailer came out just a month or so into filming -- at about the same point the EG movie is at now...

Salaam

Taft
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Taft » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Let's also consider that some might-or-might-not-use CGI could be tossed together for something.

Still, I doubt that it would be kept totally under wraps tbh. Abrams was, in both cases, shooting for mystery/horror stuff...something which this definitely isn't.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:07 pm

There's now an official Twitter account: @EndersGameMovie

And word on the street is that we'll be seeing some more official promotional material coming from official channels very, very soon. Keep eyes open.

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 pm

And word on the street is that we'll be seeing some more official promotional material coming from official channels very, very soon. Keep eyes open.
We haven't confirmed that's the official Twitter yet.
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:33 pm

We haven't confirmed that's the official Twitter yet.
And finally it's confirmed :)

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 am

It's up: http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/ender-s- ... 62670.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks beautiful. On the other hand...the stars are....octahedrons? I always thought they were cubes! Also...battle room is outside?
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Craig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Craig » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Translucent walls! Battle School in orbit over Earth! Looks absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see more!

Salaam

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Translucent battle room walls could be problematic with the sun being bright and all. I think the stars are different shapes. There's a funky one in the bottom left.

Analysis aside. It looks epic.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:10 pm

I really and truly thought the background was just them taking artistic license for promotional purposes and that's not how it will actually look. I seem to be the only one interpreting it that way, though.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm

I really and truly thought the background was just them taking artistic license for promotional purposes and that's not how it will actually look. I seem to be the only one interpreting it that way, though.
I would be completely okay with that. Battle School doesn't have epic views of Earth in my mind--all they have are walls. But, I have already resigned myself to this movie having no details from the book and hopefully just staying true to spirit of it. I've never been the type that required my film adaptations to be every beautiful detail of a book brought to life..so I may be weird.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Craig » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:07 pm

I would be completely okay with that. Battle School doesn't have epic views of Earth in my mind--all they have are walls. But, I have already resigned myself to this movie having no details from the book and hopefully just staying true to spirit of it. I've never been the type that required my film adaptations to be every beautiful detail of a book brought to life..so I may be weird.
I agree with you. Most people don't take the time to understand that film and books are two very different mediums. Books can't be turned into movies without making necessary changes. In this case, the "details" (which I always find funny, since OSC has always said he has no idea what any of his settings look like) are changed to suit the visual medium--not to mention the novel was written in 1985 and technology has progressed a little bit since publication...

I always point to the Harry Potter films. Most consider the third film to be the best or among the best. It was also the first film to take liberties with the story.

I'm excited about the movie. At the very least, it'll look fantastic! :-)

Salaam

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Not translucent...transparent.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 pm

I always point to the Harry Potter films. Most consider the third film to be the best or among the best. It was also the first film to take liberties with the story.
Not to get off topic....but WHAT? I loved the novel version of Prisoner of Azkaban, but of all 8 films, it's easily in my 3 least favorite. That isn't just in retrospect either, I remember being appalled when I first saw it at how badly it butchered the story.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 am

Not translucent...transparent.
Haha, thank you.
Not to get off topic....but WHAT? I loved the novel version of Prisoner of Azkaban, but of all 8 films, it's easily in my 3 least favorite. That isn't just in retrospect either, I remember being appalled when I first saw it at how badly it butchered the story.
Then you'd be in the minority. Rottentomatoes has the critics and audience ratings for the eight movies at the following:

Sorcerers Stone: 80% and 81%
Chamber of Secrets: 83% and 80%
Prisoner of Azkaban: 90% and 85%
Goblet of Fire: 88% and 74%
Order of the Phoenix: 79% and 82%
Half Blood Prince: 84% and 75%
Deathly Hallows Part 1: 79% and 87%
Deathly Hallows Part 2: 96% and 92%

So, PRISONER OF AZKABAN has the 2nd highest critics score and the 3rd highest audience score (2nd if you consider Deathly Hallows parts 1 and 2 one movie).

Of course, my point in all of this was that books and film are very different and have to be treated as such. Film is a visual medium, stories are told through images and dialogue--and you will see substantial differences between the descriptions in EG and the look of the movie. A word for word, even scene for scene adaptation simply doesn't work in most cases and wouldn't work for Ender's Game. For this movie and any other book to screen transfer, don't think of them as an "adaptation" (which they are only in the vaguest definition of the word), think of them more as a re-interpretation.

Funny... I just got a strong sense of deja vu... I've been involved in this debate since PWEB first opened.

Salaam

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 am

Does the poster look cartoonish to anyone else?

To me it seems a little odd how different the poster looks from the other released stills.
I was pretty pleased when I saw that the other stills don't look too "shiny" sci-fi and cold.
I mean, you might notice that they really haven't used the color black in the the released pictures, the poster is more navy really.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:08 am

it isn't a photo, or a photo compilation. It is a drawing/painting. Also--think about the size of a friend standing at the far end of a football field. None of the other kids in teh picture are THAT far away!

BTW, the time it would take you to push off from the near side of a 300 yard long room and arrive at the other side (assuming no losses)? About 60 seconds. Assuming you reach 15 ft/sec when you push off.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:43 pm

The poster looks like Tron: The YA Legacy to me.

But, again, I'm not taking it too literally as representative of the movie. I'm thinking it is something shiny and detailed just enough to get attention and give you things to look at and find.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:58 pm

--Boothby

Craig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Does the poster look cartoonish to anyone else?
I had the same complaint on your Ender's Ansible Facebook post. It's definitely a little too CGI-ish for me, but like Boothby said, it's a picture compilation and the proportions are off. It offers a taste of things to come and a general sense of what the Battle Room will look like. Between now and when the trailer comes out, we should get some more stills and those should give us a better idea of the overall look of the film, because like you said, this doesn't exactly match the color palette from the other stills we've seen.

Salaam

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Translucent battle room walls could be problematic with the sun being bright and all.
Problematic, or tactical. Depending on the time of day the battle takes place, sun flare could be used to the advantage of one army or the other.

Also, I see no indication that "live" flash suits have lighting on them. Part of the advantage of flashing the legs was that the flashed areas would go dark, decreasing visibility. I always envisioned a pitch black room, similar to some kind of black-light laser tag. Will Dragon Army be flashing their own legs at all...?

Another problem with being able to see Earth: does it make it harder to envision the enemy's gate as being down? All of the soldiers we see in the poster seem to be stuck in the up-down mindset of Earth gravity, with their bellies towards the earth.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:37 pm

That's a definite concern, CCS: The earth will be "down"
--Boothby

Craig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 pm

The same thought went through my head, but don't you think it's a pretty neat way to visually foreshadow the ending?

Salaam

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:22 pm

I don't think they'll do that....
--Boothby

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am

I don't think they'll do that....
I agree. Plus, from what we've seen in the poster, the gates are not "up-down" oriented, so I don't think it'll happen.

Now that I've thought about it a little more, having the Earth visible would make Ender's battle room innovations even *more* groundbreaking, since no one else has liberated themselves from the old up-down mentality just because the Earth is where it is.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:51 am

I agree. Plus, from what we've seen in the poster, the gates are not "up-down" oriented, so I don't think it'll happen.

Now that I've thought about it a little more, having the Earth visible would make Ender's battle room innovations even *more* groundbreaking, since no one else has liberated themselves from the old up-down mentality just because the Earth is where it is.
C^2S--The gates are ALWAYS up-down oriented. At least, they are to ME!

But the presence of the EARTH as the largest reference in the "sky" is going to mess with that--but not only for the kids, but for the audience as well (mark my words).
--Boothby

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:36 am

C^2S--The gates are ALWAYS up-down oriented. At least, they are to ME!

But the presence of the EARTH as the largest reference in the "sky" is going to mess with that--but not only for the kids, but for the audience as well (mark my words).
Spoken like a true jeesh member! But I can envision a scene where Ender not only liberates his army from traditional up-down thinking, but the audience as well.

Ender: "See the Earth? All the other armies are imagining the Earth as down, and they have to stay correctly oriented. But this is zero-gravity. Up and down can be whatever we want them to be! Instead of imagining us floating above Earth, imagine us falling down alongside it. The enemy's gate is down."

After this point, the orientation of the camera will really help the audience catch Ender's drift.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 am

Just so long as the person sitting next to me doesn't lose their lunch when Ender blows their mind and the camera rotates the view to the new angle.
The enemy's fly is down.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 am

I think we're all good with changes in camera angles like that, these days....Star Wars, Star Trek...heck, even the intro battle sequence in "Lost in Space" !!
--Boothby

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Hilarious interview with Harrison Ford on Jimmy Kimmel. No EG references, but still funny:

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/ ... -live.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--Boothby

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”