Sexual scene

What do you think is happening with film production? How do you think things will look? What are options for sequels? Show us your own Movie Posters and Trailers here!
User avatar
Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:53 pm
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: November 7th, 2001

Sexual scene

Postby Jebus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:06 pm

How do you think the upcoming movie will handle the sexual scene in EG that was alluded to when Bean visits Ender in his room in Battle School? It's probably way too risqué for a major movie, but at the same time it's a pivotal and heart-wrenching moment that captures the total loneliness that the characters are feeling.

To be honest I don't think art should shy away from issues that are challenging for us to have to think about. If the scene is done tastefully, I think it should be kept in, but I know it would be hard to watch child actors do something like that.

lol it would be hard

Violet
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:59 am

Postby Violet » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 pm

they should get rid of it. i skip that bit every time i read the book anyway. gross.
~Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!~

User avatar
Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:53 pm
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: November 7th, 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Hello? I feel like I'm talking to myself here.

User avatar
Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:03 pm
Location: Somewhere, beyond the sea.

Postby Mitchi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:54 pm

I don't remember a sexual scene, did I completely miss something? (it tends to happen when I read books, I'll completely forget something was ever there)
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

User avatar
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 4442
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:49 pm
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: July 1st, 2000
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Luet » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Stick around, Mitchi, you'll get it soon. :wink:

And Jebus, I hope they would leave it out both to avoid the controversy and to keep the rating PG-13.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

User avatar
Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:03 pm
Location: Somewhere, beyond the sea.

Postby Mitchi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Awww but I feel so left out :p
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-


-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:00 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Postby spanish_rockette » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 pm

What sexual scene, I dont remember a sexual sence?
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

User avatar
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Posts: 7827
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:35 pm

spanish_rockette wrote:What sexual scene, I dont remember a sexual sence?



Jebus wrote: alluded to when Bean visits Ender in his room in Battle School



The scene raises a lot of tough questions that I'm not sure the public, at least in the US, is ready to handle. I'm sure that even using fade out and/or silhouettes would get protests the likes of which haven't been seen since The Passion of the Christ was released.

The movie could use the publicity but Nomi's right, keeping the scene would bump it past the PG-13 rating, ultimately limiting the audience. If we really want to draw people to the movie, I hate to say it but I think it wasn't too far off to suggest Bieber be brought in.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

User avatar
Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:53 pm
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: November 7th, 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:08 pm

This is the age old debate of commercial success versus artistic integrity.

I want to see the Ender's Game movie, not some gutted family-friendly version of it, but the real thing.

"Censorship is to art as lynching is to justice."
- Henry Louis Gates

This scene was cited by OSC as his favourite to reread. He said those two pages have been reread so many times they have literally fallen out of his copy! I think if the author is so enthusiastic about this moment, it has to be kept in.

User avatar
mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:22 pm
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:48 pm

i can't be the only one that didn't read that scene in a sexual way... in any of the 20 times i've read the book.
Ubernaustrum

User avatar
Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:03 pm
Location: Somewhere, beyond the sea.

Postby Mitchi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:39 pm

mr_thebrain wrote:i can't be the only one that didn't read that scene in a sexual way... in any of the 20 times i've read the book.


Yeah I didn't see that as sexual either :?
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-


-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

User avatar
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Posts: 7827
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:22 am

Oh, brain...I think I'm actually disappointed.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

User avatar
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 4442
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:49 pm
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: July 1st, 2000
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Luet » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:58 am

Seriously. Mitchi is new, so it's understandable. But you Josh? Tsk, tsk.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

User avatar
Young Val
Commander
Commander
Posts: 3163
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:00 pm
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: September 12th, 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).
Contact:

Postby Young Val » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:30 am

Jebus,

In theory, I'm with you on maintaining the artistic integrity--but at this point, isn't ANY movie better than none? If they have to cut it I'll be disappointed, but I'll understand.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

User avatar
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2513
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:26 pm
Title: Huey Revolutionary
Location: Canada

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Removing that particular scene addresses the most overt evidence of the underlying relationship but there's no way to simply censor the more subtle aspects and still have it be the same story. Even the conflict with the Buggers is little more than a metaphor.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

User avatar
mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:22 pm
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:34 pm

look, i first read the book in like 7th grade. i don't think in any of the times that i've re-read it that i've over analyzed every scene for any underlying meaning.

i'm sorry, i read to be transported i don't read to try to glean the authors true meanings.

and i don't care if bean and ender starred in a gay porn, it's just not how the scene came across to me. and i'm normally fairly perverted.
Ubernaustrum

User avatar
Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:53 pm
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: November 7th, 2001

Postby Jebus » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:42 am

...
Last edited by Jebus on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:22 pm
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:56 am

well, the scene where ender and bean sleep together IS in the book. it's just not sexual. and honestly it's been awhile since i've read it, so i figure it probably could be inferred to be sexual by extreme perverts.... which i assume you are. :P


still fine, egg on face.

been so long since we've had newbies i forget about tricking them.
Ubernaustrum

User avatar
Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:53 pm
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: November 7th, 2001

Postby Jebus » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:08 am

Well I definitely am ;). Now let's delete these posts.

User avatar
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:36 pm
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000
Location: colorado, baby!
Contact:

Postby steph » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:33 pm

You crazies tripped my content filter with this thread and I had to add pweb at a "safe site."

It's a good thing I love you guys. :D
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

User avatar
Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:03 pm
Location: Somewhere, beyond the sea.

Postby Mitchi » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:38 pm

mr_thebrain wrote:well, the scene where ender and bean sleep together IS in the book. it's just not sexual. and honestly it's been awhile since i've read it, so i figure it probably could be inferred to be sexual by extreme perverts.... which i assume you are. :P


still fine, egg on face.

been so long since we've had newbies i forget about tricking them.


Also ES states that he slepts at the FOOT of ender's bed so...

That's why i got confused D:
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-


-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

User avatar
waffleman
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby waffleman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:11 pm

The scene isn't that sexual....

You people are so immature. :roll:
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

User avatar
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 5185
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:30 pm
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: February 4th, 2002
Location: ^ Geez, read the sign.
Contact:

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Mitchi wrote:
mr_thebrain wrote:well, the scene where ender and bean sleep together IS in the book. it's just not sexual. and honestly it's been awhile since i've read it, so i figure it probably could be inferred to be sexual by extreme perverts.... which i assume you are. :P


still fine, egg on face.

been so long since we've had newbies i forget about tricking them.


Also ES states that he slepts at the FOOT of ender's bed so...

That's why i got confused D:


Well, Bean makes it very clear that even though he's smarter, Ender is the Dom.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

User avatar
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 4442
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:49 pm
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: July 1st, 2000
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Luet » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Just when I think it's been ruined, EL rocks the house.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

User avatar
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:59 pm
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:55 pm

waffleman wrote:The scene isn't that sexual....

You people are so immature. :roll:

Or you just haven't experienced enough of life, yet, to "get" the pretty explicit sexual undertones...
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:00 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Really, are you guys that immature? I mean I've heard worst perverted things than this. really?
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

User avatar
waffleman
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby waffleman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:08 pm

spanish_rockette wrote:Really, are you guys that immature? I mean I've heard worst perverted things than this. really?


I like you supporting me, but bad spelling always takes away from the point.

What I think is that there are sexual parts but they are not that bad. Especially compared to what you see in theaters now rated merely pg or pg13

This is not a movie for little children though the magic of this book is the space theme and age of the main characters does make it more attractive to little kids. Unlike me the little kids and older kids would not understand all the sexual parts. The worst ones may be toned down if you really want to. But really OSC's approach to sex is too scientific to be good romance in my opinion.
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.

Pablo Picasso

User avatar
Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:53 pm
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: November 7th, 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:07 pm

waffleman wrote:This is not a movie for little children though the magic of this book is the space theme and age of the main characters does make it more attractive to little kids. Unlike me the little kids and older kids would not understand all the sexual parts.


Well I'm glad you do understand them, because to be honest, while I got the gist of the scene, I'm still not exactly sure what happened... :oops:

Can you give me a bit more detail on it?

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:00 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Postby spanish_rockette » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Yeah, my spelling isn't the best...
:roll:
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

User avatar
Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 2517
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:11 pm
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: August 17th, 2002
Location: Evansville, IN
Contact:

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Luet wrote:And Jebus, I hope they would leave it out both to avoid the controversy and to keep the rating PG-13.


They might as well leave in the relatively harmless bedroom scene. The desk penis, shower fight and little kids running around completely naked for no good reason other than simply because they can already bump the movie into R territory.

(By the way, someone needs to turn that penis thing into an iPad app now that real tech has finally caught up with 80's sci-fi.)
The enemy's fly is down.
Image

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:43 pm
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: January 10th, 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:40 pm

Dr. Mobius wrote:(By the way, someone needs to turn that penis thing into an iPad app now that real tech has finally caught up with 80's sci-fi.)


Someone hasn't done it already? That's surprising...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

User avatar
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 pm
Contact:

Postby locke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:28 am

Dr. Mobius wrote:They might as well leave in the relatively harmless bedroom scene. The desk penis, shower fight and little kids running around completely naked for no good reason other than simply because they can already bump the movie into R territory.


you forgot the 'walk between my legs without touching my balls" and another naughty bit. it's subtle but I always took the Petra meets Ender scene to be that Petra was naked when they met, because it's when petra gets up off the top bunk and swings her legs over the side to jump down that Ender realizes she was a girl. Naughty naughty, all that skinning going on.

I approve of the Jeebishness of this thread!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

User avatar
waffleman
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby waffleman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:29 am

locke wrote:
Dr. Mobius wrote:They might as well leave in the relatively harmless bedroom scene. The desk penis, shower fight and little kids running around completely naked for no good reason other than simply because they can already bump the movie into R territory.


you forgot the 'walk between my legs without touching my balls" and another naughty bit. it's subtle but I always took the Petra meets Ender scene to be that Petra was naked when they met, because it's when petra gets up off the top bunk and swings her legs over the side to jump down that Ender realizes she was a girl. Naughty naughty, all that skinning going on.

I approve of the Jeebishness of this thread!


approve of the Jeebishness of this thread!


Those parts might make it a 14a movie. if they dont go in too much detail.



I have fear though that the audience might be misinterpreted and they will try to please the younger audience making the movie something completely different. And probably ruined.
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.

Pablo Picasso


Return to “Ender's Game Movie Rumors, Speculation and Fan Art”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest