Ender's Game Comic Book

What do you think is happening with film production? How do you think things will look? What are options for sequels? Show us your own Movie Posters and Trailers here!

What do you think of the Ender's Game comic?

Like it
89%
Don't like it
11%

Total votes: 9

Aesculapius
Soldier
Soldier

Ender's Game Comic Book

Postby Aesculapius » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:56 pm

I think I saw a thread somewhere relating to this, but I can't seem to find it so I thought I'd just create a new one.
I was looking through some random sites the other day and I found out about the Ender's Game comic books. Here's a link to it. It gives you a preview of the first 10 pages or so:

http://io9.com/5059516/read-the-first-1 ... nders-game

I don't think that's how I imagined Ender or any of the other characters to look like, but there you go. What do you think?
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
-Benjamin Franklin

Aesculapiüs

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:13 pm

I totally agree. None of them look right.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:09 am

The first five issues of Ender's Game and the first five issues of Ender's Shadow are already out in hardcover as collected volumes (the individual issues are also available in standard comic format, but I always prefer the hardcovers).

ETA: And I really enjoyed them. The artwork was fantastic and just cements my belief that Ender's Game can translate into other (more visual) mediums.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:12 am

I don't like comic book drawing. period. That's all I'm saying.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Aesculapius
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Aesculapius » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:23 am

I don't mind comic book graphics, but I think the artist for Ender's Game could have made Ender a bit more...like Ender? haha
-Benjamin Franklin

Aesculapiüs

The Polish Boy
Launchie
Launchie

Postby The Polish Boy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:39 pm

I didnt really like how they made the characters look but I liked the artwork of Battle School

Aesculapius
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Aesculapius » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Yeah, Battle School is nice.

Welcome to pweb, The Polish Boy.
-Benjamin Franklin

Aesculapiüs

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:24 pm

The heck with what the characters look like--what about the Battle School itself!?
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:06 am

Or the mind game, Steve.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:35 am

Just checking to see if anyone here would be interested in a set of these comics before I sell them elsewhere. I have 1-5 EG plus "Recruiting Valentine" and 1-5 ES (plus the extra variant first edition). So, twelve total, new and unread. I bought an extra set because I'm a dork. PM me if you're interested.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:43 pm

I wish I had read your post before yesterday, Luet... I bought both hardbound editions yesterday (Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow)...

As far as the comics themselves, I like them. The story seems too rushed, but what's on the page is definitly true to the book, which I like. I can't wait to get the rest of it.

Salaam

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Just shows you need to come around here more often. :P
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:18 pm

As far as the comics themselves, I like them. The story seems too rushed, but what's on the page is definitly true to the book, which I like. I can't wait to get the rest of it.
This was my initial reaction to them, that they felt extremely squashed together, kind of a "you know where this is going" type thing, to me, but they still felt wonderfully done, and I loved the art style.

Also,
Just shows you need to come around here more often. :P
this!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:00 pm

i like the way they worked it, but i'm not a huge fan of the artwork. not marvel's finest artistry.
Ubernaustrum

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Because I don't have that good of visual imagery, I felt the comic's artwork was good. I feel the comic stays true to the novel, which is big for me. However, this is the biggest thing that I have with the comic. If you don't read the novel first, you're going to be like... what the heck? He killed a kid?! I feel you need the context for this comic to be great. Either way, I still carry the EG comics everywhere with me.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:17 pm

Card was very adamant that the comics not have inner-dialogue. Perhaps he wanted to make sure it could work that way, as the film will be much the same way.

Glass
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Glass » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:13 pm

I didn't like the graphics from the First Meetings collection of short stories. Ender looked sort of like an emo kid.
"...there silence suggested that they didn't want to talk about what they didn't want to talk about."

-from Teacher's Pest

Craig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Craig » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks for the pseudo-welcome back Mich and Luet. :)
i like the way they worked it, but i'm not a huge fan of the artwork. not marvel's finest artistry.
Have you seen the artwork for Ender's Shadow? I haven't read them yet, but I have flipped through them. It definitly seems less anime-esque and more nitty-gritty.
And it was a smart move by him, but it certainly shows the difficulties in bringing the book to the visual mediums. With the Ender's Game comic there are some large plot points that go either unnoticed or unexplained. This is the comic's biggest flaw. I think that if your a newcomer to the story and these comics were your first encounter with it, you'd be hopelessly confused.

That said, they're certainly a good starting off point. Especially since, as most of you have also said, they are so true to the source material.

Salaam

Craig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Craig » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:51 pm

So I finally read both comics and I have two thoughts. The Ender comic feels rushed, too condensed, jumbled and doesn't make a whole lot of sennse, even to an Ender expert. What's weird though, is that I think the Ender's Shadow comic is great. It's fantastic. I think that it might be because while Bean is the main character/story there is a juxtoposition of stories with Sister Carlotta bring the other... For this reasonalone I think that having two main story lines in the Enders Game screenplay will only add to the depth of the movie -- as the dual stories in the Ender's Shadow make for a more interesting comic.

Salaam

Return to “Ender's Game Movie Rumors, Speculation and Fan Art”