Peter's personality

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Peter's personality

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:09 pm

(Mild Shadow Saga spoiler warning)

If Peter hadn't been told he was too ambitious for Battle school, and was told the truth instead (see one of the Shadow books) what would be different?

Personally, I think he would have tried to prove that people would follow him by becoming Hegemon, but because he would not be watching out for being too aggressive he would end up as another Achilles, failed and probable been assasinated.

Plus, of course, Bean would never have helped him.

Hmmm...

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:51 pm

Personally, I think that OSC's retcon regarding the "real" reason why Peter wasn't accepted is hard to swallow. In the opening of chapter 9 in EG Graff says to Major Imbu that "[Peter] was rejected from the program because he was the most ruthless and unreliable human beings we've laid hands on." Also, if it wasn't his aggressive personality that was the problem, why did the I.F. ask the Wiggins to have a girl next?

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:24 am

The two could be linked. Maybe his aggressiveness was the main reason that no-one would follow him.

The IF may have wanted a girl because she might be easier to follow in some way, maybe partially due to ambition.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:43 pm

I'm not so sure that Peter would have acted differently if he had been told a different reason for why he was rejected. I think that his main motivation was simply to prove that he mattered as much as Ender did. I also think that it was just age and a single-minded focus on a goal that mellowed him, not concerns about controlling his aggression just because the I.F. said that's why he didn't get into Battle School.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”