Did Ender's Game make you cry?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.

Did Ender's Game make you cry?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 53

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Thu May 01, 2008 8:55 am

I got all sniffly in many placed throughout the series. I never sobbed or anything, but I did get all choked up.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu May 01, 2008 10:21 am

Speaker made me a little moist eyed, so I tore the book in half and ate it while having sex with hot swedish sisters.

sirrocko711
Launchie
Launchie

Postby sirrocko711 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 pm

EG was more of a goosebump-inducer rather than tears, but Alai's goodbye to Ender ("Salaam") made me pretty misty-eyed.

Ender's Shadow however, I was a friggin faucet during the last chapter. Bean's journey is so tragic and bittersweet; when you turn to that last page and they're in Greece and his Mom is running out the door to him... Powerful stuff, jeebus christ...

A tear or two went loose at the end of SotG (the letter scene) and I'm sure at some points during SftD as well, but yeah, it was ES that really wrecked me.

ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ptr.arkanian » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Enders Game made me cry a little but Enderverse on a whole definitely did. I cried for three hours when I finished Shadow of the Giant. The letter Bean left for Petra was too much.
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

Deinonychus
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Deinonychus » Thu May 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Not precisely sure about EG, but in various other places in various books. I'm exceptionally, sometimes annoyingly, empathetic. That SotG ending's a killer when you've come through so much with Bean and Petra.

The reason i consider Card perhaps my favorite author, though, is how often while reading his books i have to pause and contemplate what's just happened and it's lead-up, kinda stunned by the brilliance of it.

I was somewhat disappointed at the dearth of such moments in Ender in Exile. :(
Jurassic Park's Velociraptor = Deinonychus, for those unaware.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 pm

shadow of the giant made me cry. and also did children of the mind, we ender turned into dirt! (properly saying DIED) ender's game made me sad with the outcome. not enough to make me CRY! :!: :!:
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:49 am

[quote="Darth Petra"][quote="greenbeans16"]Nope. Children of the Mind and the entire Shadow series did though.

What was sad about EG?[/quote]
No idea. It's one of those random weird things. I laughed at the end of Titanic, but Ender's Game made me cry......

It does'nt make much sense.[/quote]
you luagh the ending of Titanic wwas funny? and you cried when you EG?
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Natalis
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Natalis » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Ender's Game is a strong book, but I think it doesn't aim to reduce you to puddles. I shed some tears at some scenes, but a few days after reading, after all the pondering and comparing, I ended up doing a full-fledged crying and sobbing :p

Just finished the book three weeks ago btw.

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:29 pm

I would say I got teary-eyed or depressed in pretty much every book except A War of Gifts, First Meetings and Ender's Shadow. But I'm kind of a sensitive person. I cry during a lot of my books. I sometimes cry when I think of those books.

EG:
- When Bean visits Ender and Ender says he's tired of the game. (I just feel so bad for him!)
- Ender's visit with Valentine.
- When Ender finds out the game was real.

I think I get more teary-eyed when I THINK about EG than when I actually read it.

SFTD:
- When Pipo and Rooter die.
- When Ender tells Valentine he's leaving Trondheim.
- Everything in the whole treaty scene.
- When the Hive Queen is released (I found it so beautiful!).
- The little spiel about Jane and Ender's severed relationship.

Xenocide:
- Qing Jao walking in on her dead mother.
- Qing Jao's "test." As a fellow germaphobe, my skin was crawling throughout the entire scene. On top of that, Han Fei-tzu's love for Qing Jao was overwhelming for me.
- The first meeting with the Hive Queen.
- The chapter called "Martyr." The whole freaking thing.
- The riot. :(
- Ender's reaction when Val and Peter are sprouted from his mind.
- The ending with Qing Jao. She never truly lived.

CotM (Anybody else think that this was the best title out of all the books? It's a clever double-entendre and it sounds cool.):
- Whenever I read a single word about Ender. I already knew he died, so I made every word count.
- Ender's death. I've never bawled so hard in my life. I don't care what the book says, Ender is Ender, and he is dead. Just because Young Peter is still alive does not mean Ender lives on as well. Screw this aiua talk!
- When Miro talked Young Val out of her body. That was AWFUL. I got antsy with every word and wanted to slap Miro. I've never agreed with Quara so much.

SotH:
- I got really sad when Petra badmouthed that "doctor" guy that was trying to help her, and then Achilles shot him. I felt so bad for that guy for some reason. I didn't cry but I was depressed the whole day as a result.
- Sister Carlotta's death. Her death killed me more than pretty much anything from the other Enderverse books besides Ender's death.
- Sayagi's death.

SP:
- When we met Alai and the song "Jerusalem" by Bruce Dickinson played on my iPod. I don't know why that hit me so hard, but I started crying for no reason.
- I thought the scene where Petra goes through all Hell to get in vitro was beautiful, so I was extremely teary-eyed when they were outright kidnapped.

SotG
- Nothing in the beginning, but in the last seventy-five pages or so, I felt like old wounds were ripped open with the whole Peter-Ender thing, and when Petra came home, I was as sad as Petra was.
- Beautiful part that made me cry from its sheer beauty: When Peter added, "I love you," to the beginning of Bean's letter. I was so taken by that.

EiE:
- The first time the reader interacted with Ender. I missed him so much after the Shadow series!
- Ender's conversation with Abra.
- Finding the Hive Queen.
- Arkanian Delphiki beating up Ender, and Ender maintaining, "I will not hurt my friends' child."

Oh my Lord, I'm a sap!

Vendor's Game
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Vendor's Game » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:35 pm

I'm so glad other people cried at the end of Shadow Of The Giant. Bean's letter just killed me, and then Peter finally opening up to Ender was like I was being kicked while I was down. I just finished reading it last night and I literally cried myself to sleep.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:17 pm

"Lost Boys" made me cry...and hug my kids.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:21 pm

Well of course people would cry at the end of Shadow of the Giant. Bean's letter, when Petra read Ender's book to Peter's grave, Peter opening up to Ender. the ending is just sad.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:45 pm

I also cried in every book. sometimes from happiness, but not often.
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

TheTranskinator
Launchie
Launchie
Location: i'm not sure... it's dark and a i hear laughing... aww crap

Postby TheTranskinator » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:52 pm

I clicked yes before I realized that it said Ender's Game, not Speaker... so yeah. I got sad for Ender, but never cried. Until Speaker came...

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: Did Ender's Game make you cry?

Postby TerresaWiggin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:12 pm

not much only the first time but I was the same age as Ender sooo....
However in SotG Petra's letter makes me cry every time.
I stopped reading it in class.
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re:

Postby TerresaWiggin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:14 pm

EG didn't.

Children of the Mind almost did.

End of Shadow of the Giant made me cry, at the end. If you DIDN'T cry at the end of SotG, you are a HEARTLESS. PERSON.
AGREED
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Sharpe
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Sharpe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:39 pm

OSC is the only author that ever made me cry.

Actually, I think my Kids Illustrated Classics version of Call of the Wild sent my crying to my mother when I was 9 or 10.

But I've turned into the person who doesn't cry alot. In the last 4-5 years, I've wept twice. Once when I finished EG, and once either when I finish Speaker of Shadow, but I don't remember which.

Exile almost did it again, but not quite :(

BobbyOodle
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 08 Jul 2013

Postby BobbyOodle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:43 pm

That particular book did not, no.
But a part in Xenocide did. SPOILER AHEAD ALERT.
The chapter "grego's war". When Grego forms a mob and they get out of control and burn down the Pequenino forest nearest to Milagre, and then Miro stands between the piggies and humans. The enormity of that situation made me cry, not a lot though.

It was surprising to me that I didn't cry so much, because usually I get super attached to the story and I just cry a lot. It's an issue. I did another time in Shadow of the Hegemon, I'm just not sure where. It may or may not have been out of happiness.
Salaam, my friend.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”