Hair

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
eriador
KillEvilBanned

Hair

Postby eriador » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:40 am

Has anybody else noticed that Hair is never mentioned in the Ender books? A person's hair is a very powerful symbol in many cultures, yet it's never mentioned (aside from Ender noting that one Salamander was hairier than the rest, and Peter joking about the number of pubic hairs that he and Val have).

Do you guys think I'm crazy to think of this, and how do you think of the character's hair? Or do you not?

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:19 pm

you sick bastard!

j/k
Ubernaustrum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:38 pm

In SotG it mentions that one of the kids has Bean's black hair--what with the African ancestry and all. Still, as OSC doesn't give very many physical descriptions, I tend to give characteristics to the characters that, as I read later in the books, aren't right (e.g. I see a brown-haired European Bean with almost no hint of African in him).
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:14 pm

There was also a description of Val early in EG, how her hair was a halo around her head, or something.

I don't think it's all that odd, since OSC barely gives any physical descriptions in general.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Peter Wiggin
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Peter Wiggin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:49 pm

well most characters are a microcosm of their cultures so you can assume that hair color is consistant. as far as the wiggins go, i thought eg mentioned that ender had brown hair that got lighter when he was at the lake, peter had brown hair but a bit darker and i thought val was blonde

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Welcome to PWeb Peter Wiggin! Have some gyoza!

The way you envision all three Wiggins is the same as me. Of course, you should know what color your own hair is... ;-)

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:34 am

Actually I just finished reading Giants again and thought the same thing about Bean having black hair. I'm almost postitive though, that they definitly state Old Valentine from the later Ender books has gray hair.

But I envision the Wiggins the way Peter mentioned them.

Also I know they do mention that Valentine has blonde hair, Bean has black, Petra has lightbrown hair, and other than that it's pretty much slapped in our faces that the Riberao kids have black hair.

As for Ender and Peter, I assume they do have brown hair, given their heritage mostly, light to dark brown hair. But you know what they say about people who assume.
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:02 pm

I think Ender was supposed to be blonde or light brown, but I always gave him dark brown/black hair in my mind and salt 'n pepper gray hair when he's older in the later books.

And I totally had Bean pictured as a blonde white kid. I had Mazer as white too. I read New Zealand and automatically assumed he was of European descent. I gave him a scruffy long hair and whiskers look. Kinda like me, or the video game version of me anyways.

Another thing to consider is that after a few hundred years of interracial mingling, the current racial norms might not be normal anymore. The screwball races from Clarke's 3001 come to mind.
The enemy's fly is down.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”