Ender's Game Comic from Dabel Brothers...

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Ender's Game Comic from Dabel Brothers...

Postby Boothby » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:22 pm

To quote from the SciFi.COM site:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 416&type=0
The Dabel Brothers and Marvel Comics will develop a comic with an original story by Orson Scott Card focusing on Ender Wiggin, the central character in Card's award-winning novels Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead.

The original "Enderverse" story will be titled Gold Bug and will take place sometime near the end of Ender's Game, as Andrew "Ender" Wiggin arrives on a new colony world as its first governor. It will be published as part of the hardcover collection of the first volume of the comic-book adaptation of Card's The Tales of Alvin Maker: Red Prophet, published by Marvel Comics and produced by Dabel Brothers Productions.

The new Enderverse story will feature art by Jin Han and will be scripted by Jake Black. Additional Enderverse projects are planned for the future and will be announced by Dabel Brothers Productions later in the year.
I've spoken to Mr. Card (well...we exchanged e-mails), and he adamantly stated it's NOT the part of the Ender's Game story that's to be in the movie. It is, basically, the epilogue.

It will still be great, though! [/fanboy]

Also...nothing new as to when, what or who regarding the movie.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:45 pm

I wish he'd stopped after SftD, or at the very least after CotM.

Not that I don't enjoy reading more of the Enderverse, I do. I just think there's a reason why Card skipped all this and fast forwarded to Ender leaving Trondheim. It was unnecessary for the completion of Ender's story. And now he keeps coming out with these gap-fillers, milking the Enderverse for all it's worth with concepts that border on fan fiction, when he should be coming up with new ideas and worlds.

Ah well.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:50 pm

wonder if it will have anything to do with Edgar Allen Poe's short story "The Gold Bug"
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:59 pm

Well, apparently it's not quite the epilogue, either.

Couldn't tell you if he's incorporated something from Poe...

But still, if it's an exploration of that first Bugger world, I'll enjoy it.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:23 pm

I wish he'd just write Shadows in Flight already! :cry:

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:42 pm

I'm kind of curious to see some of this stuff illustrated. That's one of the reasons I thought First Meetings was cool. It had some pretty neat pictures in it and such.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:25 pm

I wish he'd just write Shadows in Flight already! :cry:
You mean Shadow's End right? :wink:

ender23
Launchie
Launchie

the books

Postby ender23 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:09 pm

I wish he'd stopped after SftD, or at the very least after CotM.

Not that I don't enjoy reading more of the Enderverse, I do. I just think there's a reason why Card skipped all this and fast forwarded to Ender leaving Trondheim. It was unnecessary for the completion of Ender's story. And now he keeps coming out with these gap-fillers, milking the Enderverse for all it's worth with concepts that border on fan fiction, when he should be coming up with new ideas and worlds.

Ah well.

Actually i believe he wanted to write speaker first and needed to go back and write ender's game to give speaker some background. both books are about interaction with buggers/aliens... (framlings :)) I'd wait 10 years for another book like speaker for the dead, after xenocide the books have fallen off a little. I LOVE them still but speaker is the most complete book when it comes to story line, characters, and introduction of a new species. It's like he thought of the entire world/plot/group of characters then wrote the story... it's amazing... (i only felt this way after maybe the 10th reading though....)

I will read anything that comes out in the enderverse! I jsut feel the way ender's game -> speaker -> Xenocide is put together is perfect!

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:58 am

I'm slightly afraid that this comic will do to Ender's character what Shadows has done to Peter's. Here we have another chance for OSC to take one of his characters who he spent entire novels developing into an almost mythic hero, or in Peter's case nearly a villain, and instead placing them in a situation where all their weaknesses come creeping out in the most awkward way, as Peter's did when confronted with trying to run the Hegemony.

This comic likely won't be long enough for all that, but it'll be interesting to see Ender caught between the Invincible Commander of his youth, and the Galaxy-Striding Sage of his older years.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”