Shadows in Flight

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.

Which Title?

Shadows in Flight
46%
Shadow's End
54%

Total votes: 50

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Shadows in Flight

Postby peterlocke123 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:01 pm

This book is supposed to be the Ender-Shadow tie, correct? Not my idea, but I would prefer the name "Shadow's End" as a title, thus portraying the end of the series and also being a homage towards "Ender's Shadow"

Comments?

Soara
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Soara » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:10 pm

I actually like Shadow's End better than Shadows in Flight. Shadows in Flight sounds like a overly dramatic action movie, or a bad rock song. You should post that idea on Hatrack, maybe OSC would like it.
Keep on keepin' on! --Randy

Arlecchino
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Arlecchino » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:04 pm

Speaker's Shadow anyone? Haha I like Shadows End best I guess...

Fish Tank
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fish Tank » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:23 pm

Also selected "Shadow's End". But I think "Shadow's in Flight" must refer to

Spoilers..

Bean and his children. So Shadow's End would seem as if Bean and his Children die. Which could happen but that would give a little too much of the book away.
Fight the machine!

Primus Pilum
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Primus Pilum » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:54 am

both are good titles but I prefer Shaddow's End I feel it better represents the end of the bean story line as it merges with ender's. Of course if OSC decides this is not his final bean novel than Shaddow's end does not work

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:37 am

Welcome to PWeb Primus Pilum! Have some gyoza.

Although I LOVE the Enderverse, I don't really think it would be fitting to continue it for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever...so in that case, I hope this is the final book and he SHOULD title it Shadow's End. But that's not likely.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:34 am

Part of my issue with it being called Shadow's End is that it implies that it is the end, and that there is an ending, and I dislike that. I don't want him to write any other Ender or Bean books, I don't think--too much of a good thing and all--but acting like this is The End just doesn't seem to fit with the end of the Speaker series or the end of the Shadow series. It doesn't have to be called "End" to be the last book--but it can be the last book without being the end.

So my vote went to Shadows in Flight.

GodInYourEyes
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GodInYourEyes » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:45 pm

what about speaker for the shadows? or dose that make it sound like bean is going to die?
Lost in the dark with only one light to guide us

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:26 pm

I kinda like Shadows in Flight. It's mysterious, and doesn't reveal as much of the plot as Shadow's End does...though they're both nice titles =)
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

PhanaticEnder.Reader
Launchie
Launchie

Postby PhanaticEnder.Reader » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:14 am

Speaker's Shadow anyone?
i think that (above) is BRILLIANT!!!

your a genius, whoever you are

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:30 am

Speaker's Shadow

It is supposed to tie the Speaker and Shadow series together, it's so obvious. But I guess Shadows in Flight from the options.

Achilles
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Achilles » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:19 pm

I chose shadow's end, but this would depend on what is included in the book, thats the thing, it's the authors to choose.

I dont know what to think, whether the shadow series should end here or keep going, it's all up to what OSC writes.[/i]

Drfuji
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Drfuji » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:57 pm

Shadow's End...soo much better
maybe Beans will get shot down by Buggers :p

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:24 am

*just finished reading Shadow of the Giant*

wha?
I am not done yet? is it really true?
yay! :D

LeftiesWillRule
Launchie
Launchie

Postby LeftiesWillRule » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:20 pm

both are good titles but I prefer Shaddow's End I feel it better represents the end of the bean story line as it merges with ender's. Of course if OSC decides this is not his final bean novel than Shaddow's end does not work
good point, but i think he will finish it up and 9 novels, because of everybody in ender's jeesh (carn, petra, bean, dink, fly, tom, dumper, hot soup, vlad, and of course Ender)
hlp ndr jeesh tgdr en rus bns tun 6 rmy siz 40 n try sbtg bn fnd wiggin ptr

Snowrelax
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Snowrelax » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:42 am

Part of my issue with it being called Shadow's End is that it implies that it is the end, and that there is an ending, and I dislike that. I don't want him to write any other Ender or Bean books, I don't think--too much of a good thing and all--but acting like this is The End just doesn't seem to fit with the end of the Speaker series or the end of the Shadow series. It doesn't have to be called "End" to be the last book--but it can be the last book without being the end.

So my vote went to Shadows in Flight.
You could also interpret Shadow's End to imply that Bean will no longer be a shadow or a suppository for another person or entity any longer. First it was Ender, then Peter, then Mazer/Graff for Peter. Not necessarily an end to his life, but an end to his behind-the-scenes work.
There is no right or wrong, morals, ethics, nor responsibilities. There are merely only likely possibilities and outcomes. Roll the dice and walk your fate.
- Gin

greenbeans16
Launchie
Launchie

Postby greenbeans16 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Shadows End.

kind of cool how it has end in it, like Ender. Simple things like that make me happy....

Arden
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Arden » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi, everyone.
I can't really tell about the wishes of all the readers out there, but do you think our arguments will (or should) make a difference about the title of the sequel? Did the author use reader response to title previous books? I can't but (en)trust him completely with all that is yet to be in the Ender Saga and the Shadow Series, the man had me convinced.
In case all this is just a poll, then I guess I'm not that happy about the version which includes 'end', not when it comes to Bean. Anyway, someone should clarify the question.
PS. Any idea how I can read Shadow of the Giant?--it's not available in my country. Even a .txt would do. Thanks

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:56 pm

Actually Orson Scott Card does listen to reader responses, as he mentiones in his aknowledments.

As for finding the book online, try a pirating site or utorrent maybe.
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

Azarel
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Azarel » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:35 am

I think I still like 'Shadows in Flight', but I always thought there would be some mention in the Ender series of Bean passing him in a shuttle or something.

Also, I was surprised there was no mention of Bean in 'Investment Counsellor' given the fact that it was Bean who had the IF create the software in which Jane's Aíua initially took up residence.

Either way, if Card says there are still loose ends, I look forward to reading how he ties them up.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:29 pm

You have to keep in mind the order that these stories were written in, and that Card is for the most part just making it up as he goes along. There were no mentions of Bean whatsoever in the Ender books because they were all written before "Ender's Shadow", and until ES was written, Bean was just a minor character with no back story. "The Investment Counselor" was also written well before "Shadow of the Giant", in which it was established that Bean played some part in Jane's birth. It's what's commonly known as a "retcon", retroactive continuity.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Azarel
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Azarel » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:11 pm

You have to keep in mind the order that these stories were written in, and that Card is for the most part just making it up as he goes along. There were no mentions of Bean whatsoever in the Ender books because they were all written before "Ender's Shadow", and until ES was written, Bean was just a minor character with no back story. "The Investment Counselor" was also written well before "Shadow of the Giant", in which it was established that Bean played some part in Jane's birth. It's what's commonly known as a "retcon", retroactive continuity.
I was totally forgetting the book timeline yeah. That being the case, and in partly doing it to please fans as well as get the stories out of his own head you can't really complain :)

--
Stop complaining I say!

Pixel
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Pixel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:21 pm

I'm going to have to say "Shadows in Flight."

Assuming you've read Shadow of the Giant, you would know why "in Flight" makes sense as the title.

Arden
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Arden » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:49 am

Actually Orson Scott Card does listen to reader responses, as he mentiones in his aknowledments.

As for finding the book online, try a pirating site or utorrent maybe.
Thanks, puppets.
On second thoughts, neither 'shadow' title will do--while "...End" sounds pretty much like Howards' End (!) and would stick the thought dear Bean is going to die on everyone reading the book (and now I wonder if reading Shadow of the Giant will make a difference to me), "...in Flight" reminds me of the Nazgul (as in LotR), really can't help it. Call me a silly launchie, I'm still unhappy with either title.
...But then i'm starting to see the point of all this talk.

Pixel
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Pixel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:53 am

You really shouldn't try making a decision on this unless you've read Shadow of the Giant. That way, you have enough knowledge to give a fair opinion.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”