Audiobook Version of Enderverse novels

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Ender91
Launchie
Launchie

Audiobook Version of Enderverse novels

Postby Ender91 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:32 pm

Does anybody else but me listen to the Enderverse books on tape? I prefer it. There are actual forwards and acknowledgements read aloud by Orson Scott Card himself, and I think (not sure) that they're only for the audio versions.

Granted, becasue I'm such an Ender nerd I have ALL the books (even first meetings) in paperback, but I prefer the ones on tape.

Anybody? Anybody?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: Audiobook Version of Enderverse novels

Postby zeroguy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:15 am

There are actual forwards and acknowledgements read aloud by Orson Scott Card himself, and I think (not sure) that they're only for the audio versions.
There is a forward in the physical EG copy, by the way. Is the audio one different?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Ender91
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ender91 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:22 pm

Really? I have no forward at all for the EG on audio, but there's a forward on some shadow books, and I think a long afterward after Xenocide (maybe Speaker for the Dead...I'll have to get back to you)

I definatley reccomend the audio versions of these books. It's just a different rythym to the stories; a different pace. You can find them at audible.com, but i'm sure you can also find them on Limewire or something.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:50 am

Really? I have no forward at all for the EG on audio, but there's a forward on some shadow books, and I think a long afterward after Xenocide (maybe Speaker for the Dead...I'll have to get back to you)
Or it's a preface, or something. It's only in the newer editions, since it talks a bit about EG through the times, or something.

The long afterward is almost certainly in Xenocide, since I remember it talking about Chinese (or maybe just Southeast Asian) cultures, names, etc. And Xenocide had a lot more Chinese people than SftD...

dgf hhw

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Nits picked

Postby Sibyl » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:59 am

It's "Foreword" or "Introduction" or "Preface" and "Afterword". The Foreword comes before, and the Afterword comes afterward, but they're both composed of words, or a "word" as in "to the wise". Then of course there are Acknowledgements and things, which may be anywhere.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:23 pm

Forgive me; it was after 3AM and I was quite tired at the time.

(That post was about two sentences longer than it needed to be, though, for my tastes.)

dgf hhw

fairygreen
Launchie
Launchie

Postby fairygreen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:40 pm

I absolutely love the audio versions! I got hooked on audio while listening to Stephen Fry read the Harry Potter series. I heard something about an Ender's Game movie, and it brought the book back from distant memory (I read it a long long time ago). I decided to check if an audio book was available.

I think I have listened to it at least 4 times and all the sequels twice. The cast is wonderful. Extremely talented. I particularly love the voices of Stefan Rudnicki and Scott Brick. If I remember correctly, Card mentions in one of his afterwords in the audio that he writes stories to be read aloud. It was so much better than reading the book (which itself was wonderful).

If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend listening to the series in additon to reading it.

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Mon May 19, 2008 9:18 pm

I have Xenocide in audio. Didn't like it all that much. And Audible charges way too much.

emay
Launchie
Launchie

Postby emay » Tue May 20, 2008 1:16 am

The cast does a fab job with the audio versions of the novels, and I enjoy listening to these as I commute back and forth to work. I just finished Xenocide and have started Children of the Mind. One of my coworkers also feels that once was quite enough for Xenocide, but I'm sure I'll play it again sometime.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”