Poll: Series about minor characters?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.

Would you like a series about the minor characters?

Yes
36%
No
39%
Maybe?
25%

Total votes: 28

The Puppetmaster
Launchie
Launchie

Poll: Series about minor characters?

Postby The Puppetmaster » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:49 pm

Would you like a series about the minor characters? Like Carn Carby, Crazy Tom, etc...
Dance, my little puppets, dance!

The Puppetmaster
Launchie
Launchie

Postby The Puppetmaster » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:11 pm

If you see this then answer the poll!!!
Dance, my little puppets, dance!

Snowdemon
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Snowdemon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:35 pm

I said maybe. It could possibly be cool, yet I think it would be hard for it to be well written, and for us to not find too many inconsistencies. At the same time it would be interesting to see how the minor characters we grew to know and love, thought about the stuff going around them and their childhood.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:42 pm

I said no because, although I would love to know about the other characters' lives, I'd much rather make my own assumptions about them. I want to know the story, but sometimes too much information will ruin the mystery. It's fun to be able to ask "What if.." and make up your own story line to go with it.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:59 pm

We already have the Shadow series, which shed light on a number of minor characters such as Bean, Petra, and Alai. No need to make too much of a good thing. Like human. said, it's better to leave somthing to the imagination rather than giving everyone a detailed backstory and a series of books dedicated to them.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:57 pm

No; it would be too much. Besides, nobody's story can compare with Ender's in Battle School. and Bean covered Earthlife afterwards. As for backgrounds, OSC's short stories work spectacularly.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:20 am

Maybe not a full series, but rather just a short story showing what they did with their lives etc.

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:56 am

I'd like to see series books on how say each of them did after battle school, and perhaps how they ended up on colony worlds, or whatever, how they set them up, that kind of thing.
SARA
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

PhanaticEnder.Reader
Launchie
Launchie

Postby PhanaticEnder.Reader » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:53 am

I'd much rather make my own assumptions about them. I want to know the story, but sometimes too much information will ruin the mystery. It's fun to be able to ask "What if.." and make up your own story line to go with it.
i think it would be great if OSC created another series, because this quote (above) says how the reader wouldn't be able to speculate and make up your own storyline etc, but i think if OSC wrote another series, because of the way he writes, there would still be a mystery at the end and lead people to thinking "What if...", because he is an amazing writer and his writing style

and, he would make a huge amount of money, so nothing really lost for him is there? :wink:

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:47 am

No. I don't think it would work out so well. It'd be hard for Card to come up with original plots for each one....
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:33 pm

Not a series- maybe a book, with many short stories, like said before.

However, Alai must get at least a book, and possibly a series- maybe combined with the minor characters', or with the post-Shadow series- he is perhaps the 4th most important character in the books, other then Ender and Bean (and Petra, which got her big role in the Shadow series), and we know so little about him.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:51 pm

Short stories would be cool... but isn't he sort of doing that with the IGMS on Hatrack? I actually haven't read any of them, but I get the idea that every issue has a short story about an Enderverse character.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

John Locke
Launchie
Launchie

Minor Characters-Far and away YES

Postby John Locke » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:47 am

In the "Shadow" series, there are short snips of what life is like for Han, Virlomi, Alai, among others, that I really enjoy. I want to know WHY Han had the worst bed in his campaign against the Russians. I want to know HOW Alai got into a position of confidence in Damascus before he became Caliph. I want to know MORE about Virlomi's guerilla actions that kept the Chinese pinned down for weeks. These are great stories, and WHAT happens after they join COLMIN to go to new planets would sweeten the deal.
Anyone want to be my Demosthenes?
"And what in the name of Merlin's most baggy Y Fronts was that about?"
I just want an "enemy" to create an ongoing political debate that will give both of us respect and a following for peace.

greenbeans16
Launchie
Launchie

Postby greenbeans16 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:20 pm

Dont want to make anyone angry, but can they really be compared to Bean and Ender, or Petra, Valentine, and Peter? I don't think they should have their own series; I think it's better with them playing secondary roles.

John Locke
Launchie
Launchie

Minor Characters ARE Interesting

Postby John Locke » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:46 pm

As I read the series again, they catch my eye. The way Card writes them, I am guessing, and reguessing, and am yearning for more on the characters. I not only read for enjoyment, but to sharpen my mind against the genius children of the series. More books would be wonderful.
Anyone want to be my Demosthenes?
"And what in the name of Merlin's most baggy Y Fronts was that about?"
I just want an "enemy" to create an ongoing political debate that will give both of us respect and a following for peace.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”