Good movie to pair Enders Game with

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Peterh001
Launchie
Launchie

Good movie to pair Enders Game with

Postby Peterh001 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:43 pm

I am currently a year 11 student studying english. My Currrent task involves reading a novel of choice (Enders Game) and linking it with a movie following similar themes or techniques. I am having some problems finding a film and wondering if anyone could help. :D
Thanks
Peter

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: Good movie to pair Enders Game with

Postby Tiny genius » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:41 am

Well Peter, this is an interesting one. I know no films of exploitation or manipulation of children/child soldiers... hmmm.
I'm doing year 10 English right now and really haven't the foggiest where to start on this one.

Sorry I can't be of much help, I really just posted to say welcome to P-web, I hope you stick around. I'm sure nearly everyone here'll be more help(ful) than me on this one, but I'll tell you if anything comes to me.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Peterh001
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Peterh001 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:29 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, Its a tricky one but hopefully someone has one in mind. The movie does not have to be based on child soldiers though, it can focus on similar techniques as the novel, just one similar aspect.
Thanks
Peter

JohnPaulWiggin
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 06 Aug 2012

Postby JohnPaulWiggin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:28 pm

First thing I thought of was Star Wars, how the two stories portray human interaction with extra-terrestrial life. I supposed you could also do this with any movie where aliens and humans encounter one another.

Another way you could go is a movie like Blood Diamond or something that does show child soldiers. This would be a great comparison, I think. In Blood Diamond, we see the child soldiers as abducted, abused, brainwashed, and forced to commit atrocities. In Enders Game we think of the child soldiers as volunteers, rescued from bad situations, educated, healthy, heroic, brilliant, etc. Then of course there are the comparisons. Technically Ender committed an atrocity as well, and in both cases adults are calling the shots on behalf of the children they are controlling.

Peterh001
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Peterh001 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:19 am

Hi,
Thanks for the reply :D . You make some very interesting points here, Blood Diamond seems to be a nice choice but I am a little concerned about the rating, I will speak to my teacher about this tomorrow. Star wars is also another good possible choice as it has a close relation to the Buggers and the Humans.
Thanks Again, Peter

JohnPaulWiggin
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JohnPaulWiggin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 am

There are also documentaries called Soldier Child and Invisible Children that might help, though I haven't seen either one so I don't know if they are any more or less classroom appropriate.

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Hmmmm let me think about this, will hopefully reply within a day.
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

JohnPaulWiggin
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JohnPaulWiggin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Just had another idea. Its from the new Bourne Legacy movie, so its a bit of a spoiler.

In the Bourne movie there is a scene where characters debate whether a scientist is responsible for the experiments they perform while being directed by the company they work for. This is just like whether Ender should be blame for the xenocide of the buggers.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”