OSC Hosts Ender Fan Fiction Contest

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

OSC Hosts Ender Fan Fiction Contest

Postby Cassandra » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:10 am

I'm well aware that OSC is strongly anti-fan-fiction, but it looks like he's changed his mind!
He's going to host a fan-fiction contest this wall!
Toooooo excited!
http://www.endersansible.com/2012/06/14 ... n-contest/
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Re: OSC Hosts Ender Fan Fiction Contest

Postby Boothby » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:13 am

All I can think of is a story about how the aerospace industry starts to respond to world events and RFQs after the scathing of China...
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:06 am

First EG gets made into a movie and then OSC endorses fan fiction. Did hell freeze over recently and I missed it?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

drobbins
Launchie
Launchie

Postby drobbins » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:36 pm

All I can think of is a story about how the aerospace industry starts to respond to world events and RFQs after the scathing of China...
The race to reverse engineer and develop alien technology to give us the weaponry to defend ourselves before the aliens come back again?

I'm in... Steve, let's talk!

-D

drobbins
Launchie
Launchie

Postby drobbins » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:47 pm

I got a couple stories I would love to delve into:

1. Story about the pilots and soldiers in the fleet when they realize that they are being led by kids.
2. IF Fleet's Flight School: Top gun for the Ender's Game Universe, taking the world's best pilots and training them to fight in humanities greatest war.
3. Dragon Army before Ender
4. Story of a brilliant child forced to be a soldier in some civil war riveted Sub Saharan African country and his journey to Battle School.
5. The creation of the Giants Drink Game
6. Battle School Construction
7. Anti-I.F. Fleet and Anti-Hegemony activism

Oh what to do...

-D

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:28 pm

wow. I would love to submit something for this too! I better stop looking at this forum or I'll end up using too many idea of others.... wait... that's Card's whole objection to Fan Fiction to begin with...

I guess I could rest on my laurels and be happy with my part in "Ender's Epic" (poem done with others on this forum LONG ago) ... but writing a short story in that universe could be fun!
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Wow, color me surprised. OSC often said that he disliked fanfic.
Pweb member since 2000

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:45 pm

For those who are will not be writing stories, what are some EnderVerse stories you would like to see told?

This would be a great list to give individuals who may be interested in participating some ideas! Brainstorm away!

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:25 pm

Oh...god. I just realized what is going to happen, and it's not good. No, it's not good at all.

Knowing OSC's stand on homosexuals (not homophobia, but something...else) and his position on the board of the National Organization for Marriage (a group that opposes homosexual marriage), AND, coupled unnaturally with all that information, also knowing what the history of "Fan Fiction" has been for lo, these many years ("No, please don't do that..." Ron said, gingerly, to Harry. "Well, all right, maybe just this once..."), I can see where this whole thing is heading.

No, it's too horrible to contemplate.

All I can say is that, even as a staunch Liberal, I don't think even *I* would want to have to vet those short stories about to start pouring in. I wish Jake Black all the luck in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_O ... r_Marriage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:43 pm

:faceplant:
ANYway...

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Personally, I'd be interested in an account of the first and second invasions from the Formic point of view and their (it's?) realization that the indeginous primates inhabiting their newest colony system are in fact sentient.
The enemy's fly is down.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Personally, I'd be interested in an account of the first and second invasions from the Formic point of view and their (it's?) realization that the indeginous primates inhabiting their newest colony system are in fact sentient.
That'd be interesting indeed... and with the info provided in "Shadows in Flight," it might even be possible to reveal something of the relationships between the queens and their various drones/workers.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:56 am

Anyone ever read Tim Zahn's Conquerer's books? First volume Conqueror's Pride is from Humans POV - where they encounter an alien vessel, send a welcome message, and immediately get bombarded/destroyed by the Alien race. Clearly hostile, right?

The second book Conqueror's Heritage contains much of the same time period from the Aliens' POV. And their interpretation of events, and who started the conflict, was very, very different for very fascinating reasons.

The Third Book, Conqueror's Legacy, went back and forth between both sides moving forward.

I don't remember many details, but I thought the concept was fascinating, and loved it when I read it a decade and a half or so ago. Anyway, that's what this discussion reminded me of.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”