Author's Definitive Editions

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
philoticweb
Launchie
Launchie

Author's Definitive Editions

Postby philoticweb » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:07 pm

I'm compiling a list of the differences between the original versions of Ender's Game (1985) and Speaker for the Dead (1986) and their revised editions (both 1991).

It's a bit overwhelming, though, and I'd really like some help. If I can get a few people's help, I can split up the chapters so everyone works on a smaller portion. Also, if you only have the Author's Definitive Edition, PM me and I'll see what I can do about getting you the original text. ;)

Ender's Game

Chapter 2
...That's blood, Peter."
...That's blood, Peter. It's not mine."

Chapter 3
"And I passed?" (asked by Ender)
"And he passed?" (asked by Theresa)

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Wiggin. But that's the name he calls himself."
"That's the name he calls himself."

Chapter 6
"That little slanty-eyed butt-wiggler?"
Ender decided that Alai was joking. "Hey, we can't all be *******."
Alai grinned. "My grandpa would've killed you for that."
"My great great grandpa would have sold him first."

"That little butt-wiggler?"
Ender decided that Alai was joking. "If you didn't hold yours so tight it would wiggle, too."

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Re: Author's Definitive Editions

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Awesome project! I don't think I have the time now to help though :(
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:56 am

Good project. Give me a few weeks for school to get over and I can help out. Where did you find the original?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

philoticweb
Launchie
Launchie

Postby philoticweb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:43 am

Let me know when's good, LilBee91!

The copy I'm using for both is the Ender's Game / Speaker for the Dead combo book, Ender's War. I found it on Amazon for about $7-8 including shipping.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Okay--my schedule is all nice and free now. I'm ordering Ender's War off Amazon and then I'll be able to start. PM me and let me know how you want to split it all up.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

DragonArmy
Launchie
Launchie

Postby DragonArmy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm

For the record, if you're wondering why the change was made in Chapter 6, removing the N-word, here is a very detailed answer from Card himself: click.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who does it. I enjoy seeing revisions and then investigating why they were made. I don't know why... it's just interesting I guess.

EDIT: And a request, could you please make it more clear which parts are original and which parts were changed? For the one-liners you put them one after the other with no space, but for the multi-lined changes, you put a space in between, so it can be sort of confusing, I think.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:12 am

Here is the start of my work on SftD. As I get further along, I'll just update this post.

Speaker for the Dead

Chapter One: Pipo

Original: The first visitors to this world had started calling them that in their first reports back in ’86, and by the time Lusitania Colony was founded in 1925, the name was indelible.
Definitive: The earliest visitors to this world had started calling them that in their first reports back in ’86, and by the time Lusitania Colony was founded in 1925, the name was indelible.

Original: Pipo compared Libo’s work, his way of thinking, his insights, his attitudes, with those of the graduate students he had known in University before joining the Lusitania Colony.
Definitive: Pipo compared Libo’s work, his way of thinking, his insights, his attitudes, with those of the graduate students he had known in university before joining the Lusitania Colony.

Original: “Nothing,” said Pipo. “The piggies have done what piggies do, for whatever reason piggies do it.”
Definitive: “Nothing,” said Pipo. “The pequeninos have done what pequeninos do, for whatever reason pequeninos do it.”

Original: Pipo wondered: Are the piggies like Ariel, leading the young lovers to happiness, or are they little Calibans, scarcely under control and chafing to do murder?
Definitive: Pipo wondered: Are the pequeninos like Ariel, leading the young lovers to happiness, or are they little Calibans, scarcely under control and chafing to do murder?

Original: “To ask the piggies if I’m right of course!...” (Pipo)
Definitive: “To ask the pequeninos if I’m right of course!...” (Pipo)

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”