Shadows in Flight ebook status update

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Shadows in Flight ebook status update

Postby Taalcon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm

From OSC's wife Kristine, over at Hatrack forum ( link)
To those confused about the Shadows in Flight ebook publication:

The relationship between hardback publication and ebook publication is still in flux. For a long time, OSC did not allow any of his book to be published as ebooks – but that has changed. Many of his past books are available now and most of his current books. There have been serious struggles between book publishers and ebook providers and the issues are not yet all settled.

With Shadows in Flight, OSC and his publisher are trying a new pricing structure. The hardback edition is less expensive – and yes, it is a smaller book. But you must understand that ebook editions should not actually be competing with hardback publication – ebooks are a cheaper version like a paperback. Publishers need to make their overhead expenses from hardback publication. Moving the less expensive ebook release to be more like a paperback is what OSC and his publisher have decided to do with this publication.

Think of it like first run movies – you don’t expect to buy the DVD on the same day the movie is released in the theaters.

I really don’t think most readers want publishers to cease to exist. There are many authors who now publish straight to ebook and skip the publisher step. That is their choice. But think of your attitude towards straight to video movies. The quality control that you expect from first-run theatrical releases disappears. We don’t want that to be the fate of book publication.

I assume Amazon was not aware of this decision early enough to change the kindle publication date when the book was announced. I assume they figured it would be released at the same time. So, sorry for any confusion.

Will this become standard industry practice? I don’t know. Will it be standard practice for books by OSC? That also has not been decided yet. But it is not unreasonable for the ebook edition to be treated like a paperback. It will more than likely be the paperback that disappears from the book business – it is already seriously fading. I would not like that fate for hardcovers as well.

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Shadows in Flight ebook status update

Postby UnnDunn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:56 am

It's the same asinine refrain from all the big content companies. "We want to keep it the way it is now, because isn't it just great? I mean, look at how great it is? It's great! Therefore we should keep it. Because it's great."

*sigh*

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”