Shadows in Flight

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Peter Wiggin
Launchie
Launchie

Shadows in Flight

Postby Peter Wiggin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:37 am

Releases two weeks from today, maybe I should re-read the series again!

I'm excited, I hope Ender and Bean meet up again. I don't think OSC would be writing these novels if he didn't intend for that to happen.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Re: Shadows in Flight

Postby Taalcon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:20 am

My guess is that perhaps Bean's kids will meet Ender's "Children of the Mind".

Jinxletandcake
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jinxletandcake » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:51 pm

That's a good guess and it seems plausible.

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Somewhere on Lusitania...

"Ender Arkanian, meet Ender Wiggin."
"Actually, I'm Peter Wiggin. Sort of."
"I thought Peter was dead..."
"He is dead. This guy is Ender. In disguise."
"You mean like my brother is Ender in disguise?"
"Ender's dead."
"Which Ender?"
"Your brother Ender."
"Whose brother Ender?"
"Ender Arkanian. Ender Wiggin is still alive."
"But I'm Ender Arkanian, and I'm still alive."
"And I'm Peter Wiggin. Ender Wiggin is dead."
"But Peter Wiggin died thousands of years ago!"

...etc... etc...

:?

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 pm

On a more serious note, I think SiF and Shadows Alive will establish a relationship between the Delphikis at lightspeed and either the Godspoken of Path or the Ribeira family on Lusitania.

The Godspoken are the result of genetic manipulation. Why couldn't that genetic manipulation be a more advanced version of Antons Key, with the non-stop physical growth aspect counteracted somehow?

The Ribeira family is also clearly the smartest family on Lusitania, far smarter than any other Luso. How did that happen?
Last edited by UnnDunn on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 pm

I'd wager more on his descendants (and/or Peter and Petra's) left on Earth becoming the Ribeira family. After all, the colony is Brazilian.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:54 pm

That would explain why the Ribeira females are so strong-willed and stubborn, while the males are much more pragmatic and analytical. Fits Bean and Petra to a tee.

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:45 am

One more day! Who's excited? :D

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Me. I'm ditching school and honor band auditions to buy it and read it. :thumbs:
We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond
We will dance among the world that orbit stars that aren't our sun
All the oxygen that trapped us in a carbon spider's web
Solar winds are whispering, you may hear the sirens of the dead.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:04 am

On a random note, according to Amazon my copy shipped on Dec 31 1969... (actually, it shipped yesterday).
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Me. I'm ditching school and honor band auditions to buy it and read it. :thumbs:
That's something I would have done in high school! I picked up my copy on the way home from lab! Hooray!
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:09 pm

On a random note, according to Amazon my copy shipped on Dec 31 1969... (actually, it shipped yesterday).
Mine shipped yesterday as well. And evidently "Shadows Alive" will wrap up the threads from Children of the Mind. What I've read about this one sounds like it will be somewhat reminiscent of the kids-on-the-spaceship family drama in the Homecoming quintet.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:20 pm

I would have my copy right now, but evidently my local mail carrier mis-delivered it, so it's probably sitting at one of my neighbour's houses.

Coincidentally the same thing happened with my copy of "Ender in Exile". It sat at a neighbour's house for nearly a week while I wondered where it was, and I was really worried because it was autographed and personalized. :x
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:48 pm

From OSC's Facebook page:

"If anybody's watching, Shadows in Flight comes out today. It's a short novel, but a full story. It introduces Bean's brilliant children - the ones with the same short-life giantism that gives them savant-like abilities in every area. There's no ebook for a year, but there'll be an "enhanced ebook" for Kindle and Nook within a couple of weeks, fully illustrated by Nick Greenwood (and deftly abridged by Jake Black.)."

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:58 pm

"If anybody's watching, Shadows in Flight comes out today. It's a short novel, but a full story. It introduces Bean's brilliant children - the ones with the same short-life giantism that gives them savant-like abilities in every area. There's no ebook for a year, but there'll be an "enhanced ebook" for Kindle and Nook within a couple of weeks, fully illustrated by Nick Greenwood (and deftly abridged by Jake Black.)."
Finally the definitive word. My Kindle copy has said "release on Feb 1, 2013". I thought it was a typo.

In any case, I just got my physical copy of the book from Amazon. :)

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:46 pm

:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
I AM NOT HAPPY.

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:52 am

I had mixed reactions about this book. Spoilers ahead!

Why were Bean's last words, "I love Petra," instead of, "I love you?" Is it because he hadn't said it to her in SotG? That's silly. He just made the same mistake twice.

Also, I didn't like that the book called the Hive Queen a liar. How did the one jn the ship they found die anyway? Why didn't she make a daughter Hive Queen?

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 pm

*Sigh*... I am so disappointed with this. This book is even worse than Ender in Exile, in my view. It's a novella with lots and lots of filler inserted to make it somewhat closer to full-length.

The character development of Bean's children was good, I suppose. But the whole Ark storyline was boring, confusing and made no sense whatsoever. Not even a little bit. The characters were one-dimensional, the narrative conflict almost completely non-existent. There's no suspense (despite OSCs ham-handed efforts at generating some.) The pacing was wildly inconsistent--important scenes are almost glossed over in a few paragraphs, while uneventful sequences plod along for several pages. And the lack of conflict or suspense resulted in a payoff that fell completely flat.

I hate to bag on this book, but I really feel like it was a near-total waste of time. There is so much stuff that OSC could have done with this, and he didn't do it.

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:36 pm

I liked EiE. A lot more than this book. But I could just be biased toward Ender. I mean, in SiF, I paid so much more attention when Ender was mentioned than Bean, including Ender Arkanian. Sergeant and Carlotta could've died, and I'd only care about Ender's death just because of his name.

So somebody tell me: what exactly killed the Hive Queen? Is it supposed to be the Descolada? Is that what OSC wants us to extrapolate?

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:46 pm

So somebody tell me: what exactly killed the Hive Queen? Is it supposed to be the Descolada? Is that what OSC wants us to extrapolate?
I think she just gave up living out of a sense of extreme empathy with her sisters.

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:29 pm

That would mean she had a whole lot of empathy for her sister Hive Queens and next to none for her drones.

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 pm

That would mean she had a whole lot of empathy for her sister Hive Queens and next to none for her drones.
I think that's the whole point of the Queen/Drone relationship... I mean, she eats the drones sometimes; could she do that if she had empathy for them?

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:30 am

If anyone is interested, the audiobook publishers were kind enough to send me a clip of the Shadows in Flight audiobook. I posted it at the end of this post http://www.endersansible.com/2012/01/sh ... today.html.
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 am

There is so much stuff that OSC could have done with this, and he didn't do it.
More importantly, there are so many other things that he could have been writing instead of this. Like the last Alvin Maker book. Or the next Pastwatch book. I haven't read SiF yet but I'm not expecting much.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:03 pm

The audiobook clip did not entice me. At all. I'm still waiting on the 'enhanced' ebook I preordered. Tempted to cancel after reading the comments in this thread... Perhaps it will be better abridged.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 pm

I don't think it was so bad. Certainly not my favourite Enderverse story, but not a bad tale.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:57 pm

I am happy to have anything new to read about Bean and his family but feel a bit let down as I hoped for so much more.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:00 am

Somewhere on Lusitania...

"Ender Arkanian, meet Ender Wiggin."
"Actually, I'm Peter Wiggin. Sort of."
"I thought Peter was dead..."
"He is dead. This guy is Ender. In disguise."
"You mean like my brother is Ender in disguise?"
"Ender's dead."
"Which Ender?"
"Your brother Ender."
"Whose brother Ender?"
"Ender Arkanian. Ender Wiggin is still alive."
"But I'm Ender Arkanian, and I'm still alive."
"And I'm Peter Wiggin. Ender Wiggin is dead."
"But Peter Wiggin died thousands of years ago!"

...etc... etc...

:?
Yeah, I don't like that there's another character named Ender. :?

(And he's Ender Delphiki, not Arkanian :wink: )
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Yeah, I don't like that there's another character named Ender. :?

(And he's Ender Delphiki, not Arkanian :wink: )
Yeah, for some reason I went through a period back there when I was completely confusing "Delphiki" for "Arkanian" in my head. No idea why.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 pm

On a random note, I couldn't help but notice that this is the first Enderverse story (to my knowledge. I haven't read the comics) that mentions an actual year based on our calendar. If Bean and his kids left Earth in 2210, I figure Ender's Game takes place sometime in the 2190s. I'd always wondered about that.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 am

Well, in SiF it implies that Been is around 22 and was around 16 when he left earth with the kids, right? So, would that make EG take place right around 2200? Or am I calculating something wrong?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:06 am

I guess if Ender was 12 during the final battle, then Bean was about 10, right? If Bean left Earth at age 16 in 2210, then the final battle was in 2204, and the events of EG up until the end of the war would span about 2198 to 2204 since Ender was 6 in the beginning, so we're both right. :)

I suggested the 2190s because I was trying to reconcile it with a statement made in Xenocide, where Valentine says that she and Peter created their online identities in the 22nd century, which is as far as I recall the only other reference to an actual date in the series.

Yeah, I've put too much thought into this.

ETA: This also means that we could put actual years into the EG/ES timeline.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

candygirl103
Launchie
Launchie

Postby candygirl103 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:58 pm

There is so much stuff that OSC could have done with this, and he didn't do it.
More importantly, there are so many other things that he could have been writing instead of this. Like the last Alvin Maker book. Or the next Pastwatch book. I haven't read SiF yet but I'm not expecting much.

Or maybe because he is writing all this other stories SiF wasnt more elavorated... I liked it, I was expecting something more than a 6hrs reading, but its good... Hated what happend to Bean... Dont think it was necesary yet, unless he is just tired of writing about this story...

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:38 pm

I liked the book, but its not my favorite. and I feel Bean's death was a little rushed.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:04 pm

It seems that SiF debuted at #8 on the NY Times bestsellers list. Not bad at all.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”