First read

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
wall0700
Launchie
Launchie

First read

Postby wall0700 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:32 pm

I just got done reading Ender's Game for a class all about Science Fiction novels and films. This book is by far my favorite that i have had to read for the course and this books plot was so interesting. How OSC puts all this strain on a young child is unbelievable, I haven't read any other of the series but really interested how the age of Ender progresses through the rest of the series. I would think all of the mental and physical strain on his body would take heavy effects on his well being throughout the rest of the series.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Re: First read

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Welcome to Pweb!

Just out of curiosity, what are the other books are on the reading list that Ender has defeated?
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:35 pm

I hope you read the rset of the series and find out!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

EvilFlamingo
Launchie
Launchie

Postby EvilFlamingo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:41 am

When I first read through Ender's game, I also had a lot of the same thought's about what would happen in the future to Ender Wiggin. He went through so much physical and mental stress that he seemed as if he would explode through nearly half the novel. Having not read the sequels to this series, I do not know what eventually happens to him. I've only heard and read a few things that go on, that seem to suggest he's mentally stable. I found this somewhat questionable since at the end of the novel he seems very broken by the massive battle. He sleeps for a couple days, through the entire human civil conflict, and just moves on to living on the alien world. I just had a hard time believing a lot of it. But, of course, this is Ender Wiggin we're talking about here, and he seems to eventually make it through everything fine. Maybe I'll read the next few novels in the series and see if all this can be explained to me.

MJB10
Launchie
Launchie

Postby MJB10 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:42 pm

I thought Ender's Game was a great book to read and is definitely on my recommended books to read list. In this book there are so many unique characters with each character being so similar yet so different. Every character seems to want to manipulate someone into being what they think that person should be or manipulate that person into what they think is best for mankind. Although it is far fetched for a kid to be the savior of mankind, Graff found the right child, with the right physical and mental abilities, and most importantly a child who has not yet found his inner self, to be this savior. Ender ultimately gets molded into what the IF wants him to be and tricks him into destroying the bugger population. It was really interesting to me finding out the Buggers really lead Ender to them because they new he would also be their savior too with Ender at the end wanting to fix what he had done and find the Buggers a new place to begin a new civilization. I look forward to reading more books from of the OSC series and hope they are this exciting!

winbe008
Launchie
Launchie

Postby winbe008 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:21 pm

I also just read this novel as a class assignment and it was by far my favorite! I couldn't put it down! One thing that truly amazed me was Ender's age. I would get so caught up in the story and then I would be reminded of how young the students at the battle school actually were. I would not have though it possible for a 6 year old to commit murder, but OSC makes it seem less ridiculous and after I got about halfway done with the novel, I didn't find Ender's age out of the ordinary anymore. I think what made the story so remarkable to me was how each person in the novel became a product of their surroundings. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series to find out more!

pavl0095
Launchie
Launchie

Postby pavl0095 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:24 pm

This was also my first time reading this novel too and I agree with you that it is very tough to picture a young child being the savior of the world. Throughout reading this novel I kept forgetting actually how young Ender was but when looking back I really understand why I kept forgetting. Obviously Ender was a genius and much smarter than any adult but the way the adults treated him was also why I would forget. Throughout the novel Ender’s authority figures kept stressing the idea of making Ender self-reliant and that he must be able to make his own decisions. As child you are never given as much freedom as Ender was given and most of your decision making comes from your parents or another adult figure. With Ender it was different though, the adults wanted as little interaction with him as possible which really made Ender seem much older then he actually was.

amberxrenee
Launchie
Launchie

Postby amberxrenee » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:57 pm

Since this was also my first read, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised had how much I was into this book. The age of Ender, which everyone has previously mentioned, is always something to think about. While I was reading this book I forgot that Ender and everyone else were children. It wasn't until parts of the book where they mentioned his 9th birthday, that this brilliant fighter is only 9 years old. Obviously, the book is Science Fiction even though there are children that fight in wars in these days. But they wouldn't have the capacity to think such logical things like Ender did. Children's brains aren't fully developed to be able to handle the situations that Ender was put through. Even though Ender was manipulated throughout the whole book, he was able to see through them. The children in wars nowadays are manipulated into the wars but don't see any other option to escape it. In the end, it's nice to escape from reality to read these science fiction books and realize some things are better in the books and not in reality.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:34 am

Were you all in the same class?
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”