Just finished Ender in Exile. Other suggestions?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
phippsipoo
Launchie
Launchie

Just finished Ender in Exile. Other suggestions?

Postby phippsipoo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:00 pm

I just finished reading Ender in Exile. Recommended to me by my Mother, I must say, initially I was skeptical. I knew he had written it in the last of the series, and I was worried that I would watch a story that I loved so much turn sour (it happens). That being said, I thought it was pretty good. Obviously, when writing a story like Ender's Game (short story evolving into it's own universe) there are going to be continuity issues, but I personally don't care about things like that, unless they're done with such carelessness that it can't be ignored.

I have read most of the books in the series;
EG
SFD
Xenocide
COTM
ES
SOTH
Shadow Puppets
Ender In Exile

I know there aren't too many more left, but I would like to know your thoughts on the subject. Pleaseandthankyou.
Anyone who clings to the historically untrue — and thoroughly immoral — doctrine that "violence never solves anything" I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it.

-Lt. Col. Jean V. Dubois (Ret.), Starship Troopers

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:14 pm

Looks like you skipped Shadow of the Giant. You probably should have read that before Ender in Exile, but ah well. That's the only novel in the series that you haven't listed. There are various short stories as well.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ptr.arkanian » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:53 pm

once you finish the series completely, I would recommend another series by Orson Scott Card titled Homecoming.
of course, you can also read the extension books of the Ender's Game series-[i] A War of Gifts [/i]and [i]First Meetings[/i].
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HectorVictorious » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:45 pm

What's homecoming about? I'm interested in reading some other of OSC's other novels, but not sure if i want to because i think it might ruin my opinion of his writing. Would you suggest i wait or read it??

ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ptr.arkanian » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Homecoming is a really good series actually. It's about a family who is summoned back to Earth after Earth has been abandoned for centuries. It's very different than Ender's game- less action than the Shadow series, and more science and psychology than the Ender series. But it does no harm to Orson Scott Card's writing. There are five books. They are much slower paced than the Ender's Game series, but incredibly enjoyable.
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:15 pm

I agree, the Homecoming saga is a great series. It's supposedly patterned after the Book of Mormon, but I'm not at all familiar with that other than a few name references. I read it without knowing that and enjoyed it a lot just as epic sci-fi.

Have I heard correctly that there's another book planned in the Shadow series?

HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HectorVictorious » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:24 pm

thanx, ptr. arkinian. and yes, Platypi007, there are two more planned books: 'Shadows in Flight' and 'Shadows Alive'. They are supposed to link the two series back together, i guess with beans kids meeting the characters from CotM. There's and entire thread on the subject, check it out.
Last edited by HectorVictorious on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Read all the way through this thread for the latest news on the upcoming book.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks, Hector, Luet!

HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HectorVictorious » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:22 pm

no prob.

mydogsnameisender
Launchie
Launchie

Postby mydogsnameisender » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:15 pm

The Worthing Saga is an amazing book by OSC. I've read it multiple times as I have every ender and shadow book.

It focuses on the same concept of Ender's speaker for the dead journey where he travels in relativity so much that he "skips across time"

Really amazing book, especially if you enjoy the ender's series.

HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HectorVictorious » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:30 pm

thanx,i'll look into that. what's it about specifically?

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:21 am

It's been a while since I read it, but this site has a pretty good run-down of what it's all about: http://readmorebooks.wordpress.com/2009 ... hing-saga/
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Just finished Ender in Exile. Other suggestions?

Postby OSCjunkie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:27 pm

I highly recommend Pathfinder as well as The Lost Gate (both by OSC). They are each the first in a series (more fantasy than scifi) so you'll have to wait for the sequels. For a tast of another author, I recommend the WWW series by Robert J. Sawyer. He too has won the Nebula and Hugo and this series stars a teenage girl.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”