My reaction to Ender's Game

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
shofn005
Launchie
Launchie

My reaction to Ender's Game

Postby shofn005 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:56 pm

I loved this book. I am not an avid science fiction reader, but I really enjoyed this book. I was very interested in the way this society treated its young people and their thoughts on how to save the world by training kids with games. It is disturbing at the same time that they turn these young children into machines, killing machines at that. It is revolting the way they allow thse children to harm one another. It is also very sad that they are not allowed to have a life outside of the school. There is no family, no nothing. They are barely allowed to have friends. Which in the book, is the point, having nothing but the game allows them to be the killers that the world needs.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:27 am

Does the ends justify the means?

Or, to give this a little cross-over sparkle, does the good of the one outweigh the good of the many?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

step0274
Launchie
Launchie

Postby step0274 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 am

Throughout history, we have seen that the opinion, 'the end justifies the means,' is a very dangerous train of thought. In most cases, the end doesn't justify the means because societies rarely achieve the end. In the end, all we are left with is means. In my opinion, we need to make sure our means are humane and ethical. Means that are carried out in good-will are more likely to facilitate ideal ends.

megan.m
Launchie
Launchie

Blurred reality

Postby megan.m » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:20 pm

I thought how blurred the line was between reality and gaming was very interesting. Ender had no idea he was actually killing of these Buggers because he had been told "it was a game". He had no idea the reality of his actions which was obviously kept from him on purpose because otherwise he would have never committed these killings. It is kind of a scary though considering that gaming is becoming more and more advanced so it seems more realistic, who knows how far they will take it.

EnderX
Launchie
Launchie

Re: My reaction to Ender's Game

Postby EnderX » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:39 pm

I just started the Ender series again and just as I thought I'm loving it all over again! Before I started reading it again I had to prepare myself for his world and the intensity it offers. Everytime I read, all I want is more so I can't wait to read the rest of the series even though it will leave me wanting more when I finish, but I guess that's life.
"Real respect takes longer than official respect."

-Ender's Game-

carte470
Launchie
Launchie

Re: My reaction to Ender's Game

Postby carte470 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:16 pm

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book since it is not my genre of choice. I found the world in the book so be very scary because of the lack of a childhood, and the isolation experienced. Being alone and constantly finding out you have no one on your side seems like a terrifying experience in itself and then to find out you have to save world... I can't even imagine. Overall I really liked the book because it is so different from anything I've ever read.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”