Ender's Hometown

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Bidoof
Launchie
Launchie

Ender's Hometown

Postby Bidoof » Mon May 30, 2011 1:20 pm

I was reading Shadow of the Hegemon recently, and noticed that when Bean and Carlotta visit Greensboro, they refer to it as "The place where Ender grew up" and "where he killed for the first time".

I looked back through my copy of Ender's Game, and there is a passage where Valentine bemoans their parents' decision to move to Greensboro, which occurs after Ender has already left for Battle School. Meaning there is no way he grew up there, and no way he killed Stilson there.

I considered the possibility that they might have simply moved to a different part of Greensboro, but when Valentine is talking about the move, she says they decided to move to "North Carolina, of all places," which implies that they were previously not in NC, which certainly means they were not in Greensboro.

Am I missing something, or is this just an attempt by OSC to give Greensboro a more important role in the Ender saga? Which is fine, its a very small point, put I am rather confused.

Any thoughts?[/i]

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue May 31, 2011 8:49 am

You must be reading a first edition hardcover of SotH. That mistake was spotted and corrected in later editions.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Bidoof
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Bidoof » Tue May 31, 2011 9:29 pm

Yup, I certainly am, that would explain it, thank you kindly!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:21 am

The corrected text can been seen here
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”