First time reader

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
ThePokeofZorro
Launchie
Launchie

First time reader

Postby ThePokeofZorro » Tue May 03, 2011 10:27 am

I just finished reading Ender's Game and had a few comments and questions on the book and the rest of its series.

First I wanted to say this is one of the best books I have ever read. I'm not sure exactly what it was about the book that caught my attention, it has a depth that I'm sure I will still be figuring out in the next few years, but I am coming to realize while browsing the forums there are discussions here I would never have thought of twice after reading the book.

The most humorous thought that comes to my mind after reading is, is it ethical to want to survive? With our evolution as a species, the question of ethics can conflict with our instinct of survival. Ender shows this in his remorse for genocide of the buggers, even before he realizes they wanted peace.

A final question, what can I expect from the rest of the series? I know everyone has separate opinions but are they all as well done as the first one? Does the tone of the books change as it continues?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue May 03, 2011 12:54 pm

The original Ender series (Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind) are of a somewhat deeper, more thought-based tone. Less action and more dialogue. SftD and Xeno are two of my favorites. This series was the original one.

Then later came the Shadow series (Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant). While they still have good character development, I feel like the latter three focus a lot on military/political type topics, which don't interest me much.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”