Ansible confusion

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Yorick_Brown
Launchie
Launchie

Ansible confusion

Postby Yorick_Brown » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:33 pm

So i just reread enders game for the fifth or sixth time and said hell i'm finally going to get around to reading them all. So i already know a lot about the enderverse but i ended up learning about his magazine short stories and found a place to read them. i just started mazer in prison and now i'm confused. Mazer says that he can't have a conversation through ansible because when he talks to the people on eros they hear it throughout days. my question then is how did ender command ships extremely far away when his ansible messages would be coming in very slowly and not fast enough to be in battle. please help!!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:50 pm

The problem is that Mazer is moving at near light speed and thus experiencing time dilation. He's out of sync with the rest of the universe. However, Ender never communicated with the ships while they were in transit, so no problem. Ansible communication is instantaneous regardless of distance when time dilation isn't an issue.

Good question, and welcome to pweb. :D
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Yorick_Brown
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Yorick_Brown » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks a million!! i was so confused i was drifting off when hanging out with friends! haha, glad to have that cleared up

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”