Ender and Peter

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Ender and Peter

Postby spanish_rockette » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:16 pm

I noticed this when I read the ending of Shadow of the Giant, and the Beginning of Speaker for the Dead. Peter was remembered for being the peace maker, the kind gentle man but as a kid, even though he was and excuse my language, an a**hole as a kid, while Ender was remembered as a crazy warmonger, even though he was a nice, gentle kid.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:34 pm

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that the irony of it is brought up at some point in the series.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:25 pm

Yeah, I think so too, but it still sucks
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

JohnLocke
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JohnLocke » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Its dramatic irony in the sense that WE(the reader) know the real personalities of Peter and Ender while the rest of the characters only know what the textbooks have told them. Ender might have been an innocent child who's mind was being manipulated by desperate people, but the future generations only hear the story of how he caused the xenocide and his brother kept the earth's government from collapsing in on itself.
"It was what I was born for, isn't it? If I don't go, why am I alive?"

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”