Did Ender's Parents write to him?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
The General
Launchie
Launchie

Did Ender's Parents write to him?

Postby The General » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:41 pm

I have read the entire current Enderverse, just finishing Ender in Exile.

I read EG, CotM, SoftD etc... portion years ago. So maybe I am missing something.

I am confused. What is the story with Ender's relationship with his parents? I thought they had tried to write to him, and they never received any response, so they assumed he was ignoring them.

BUT, in Ender in Exile he writes a letter talking about how he couldn't believe they never wrote to him, and that he had to take the first step.

Did they ever write to him? I thought I remembered a conversation where they asked Val why Ender never wrote back. Were they just asking why he never wrote at all?

If they never wrote at all, what was their reason?

I feel like I am missing something, like Graff intercepted the letters.....

Thanks for the help

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:51 pm

In the letters between Valentine and Theresa at the start of chapter 7 Theresa says,
"Doesn't her realize that we were forbidden to write to him? Why doesn't he read our letters now?
We know that letters were intercepted while Ender was in Battle School, and I assume that no one could write to him while he was on Eros after the war, so the only time his parents could have written him but didn't was during his transit to and life on Shakespeare. By that point I think Mr. & Mrs. Wiggin felt that they didn't have a place in Ender's life anymore and didn't have the right to try and communicate with him while he was refusing to communicate with them. He knew through Val that they wanted to hear from him, but they didn't know if he felt the same.

It's a messed up situation. Upon re-reading EG recently it occurred to me that the cruelest thing that Graff did to Ender was convincing him at the age of 6 that his parents didn't really love or want him. In fact, only Peter got to stay with John Paul and Theresa long enough to actually get to know them at all.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”