Ender's Failure

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Ender's Failure

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:37 am

"In all the world, the name of Ender is one to conjure with. The child-god, the miracle worker, with life and death in his hands. Every petty tyrant-to-be would like to have the boy, to set him in front of an army and watch the world either flock to join or cower in fear."
This is Ender Wiggin after the end of the final Bugger war. He is an irresistible force. His unprecedented success in battle school and in the war are based on two remarkable attributes: Ender Wiggin never fails to understand his enemies. Upon understanding, he never fails to defeat them… Except for the one time that he did.

Ender failed when he faced Stilson. It’s the only time that he didn’t understand his enemy, and it says as much in the text:
…Ender kicked out high and hard, catching Stilson square in the breastbone. He dropped. It took Ender by surprise he hadn't thought to put Stilson on the ground with one kick. It didn't occur to him that Stilson didn't take a fight like this seriously, that he wasn't prepared for a truly desperate blow.
The Stilson and Bonzo fights are treated as essentially the same with regards to Ender’s moral responsibility, but they’re entirely different. Ender had every reason to believe that Bonzo wanted to kill him, and he understood Bonzo’s honour well enough to prevent it from happening by coaxing him into a one on one fight. It’s hard to make an argument that he had any understanding of Stilson’s frame of mind when he defended himself so brutally. We know his rationale; to hurt Stilson badly enough that he and his friends would be too scared to retaliate. But what retaliation was Ender expecting? Stilson wasn’t even taking the confrontation seriously. He was no Bonzo. He wasn’t trained and hardened in Battle School, and in all likelihood he wasn’t any more obsessed with saving face than any normal six year old.

Ender’s failure was allowing his own fear to keep him from understanding his enemy. Stilson was just a school yard bully who was neither strong enough nor malicious enough to cause the kind of harm that Bonzo intended, thus justifying Ender’s lethal response against him. For the likes of Stilson, a simple bloody nose and split lip would likely have been enough to deter further aggression. Even if it wasn’t, it’s doubtful that Stilson would have ever inflicted serious harm.

It’s ironic that the final test which Ender “passed” to earn his admission into Battle School was the only time when he utterly misjudged his enemy.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 am

but i really dont understand how that Ender's Failure. they needed Ender to be both compassionate and be agressive. to be both Peter and Valentine.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:36 am

The point is that Stilson is just about the only case where Ender shows no compassion at all, and simply goes completely overboard towards the aggressive end of the scale. Stilson should have indicated to the IF that Ender had been damaged by his interactions with Peter and that he was incapable of properly judging a situation. Even beyond that, he wasn't even as subtle as Peter was. It's strange that the incident which wins Ender's admission to Battle School was where he utterly failed to use any of the skills the IF wanted of him.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:19 pm

alright. i guess that is true.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Tcashon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tcashon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:47 pm

I kind of disagree. The way I look at it Ender's enemy was not just Stilson, but the whole gang of children, I don't think his overboard aggression and infliction of harm on Stilson was just for Stilson, but to make anyone in Stilson's group fear what Ender could do.

If Ender had only slightly injured Stilson I believe he would have only served to have made himself an even bigger target.

That's just my view though. 8)
Yeah I got a response............er..WHAT?

Rafka
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Rafka » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:15 am

Stilson was just a school yard bully who was neither strong enough nor malicious enough to cause the kind of harm that Bonzo intended, thus justifying Ender’s lethal response against him. For the likes of Stilson, a simple bloody nose and split lip would likely have been enough to deter further aggression. Even if it wasn’t, it’s doubtful that Stilson would have ever inflicted serious harm.
But you're forgetting Ender's perspective. As I saw it when I read the book, it's true that Ender went overboard, that's why Graft had to ask Ender personally about his motives, but much of it is Ender's own fear in the situation. Remember, at home Ender is constantly being threatened by Peter saying he's going to kill him as soon as nobody's looking. As soon as the monitor is taken out, Peter is Ender's first thought. So when Stilson and his gang surrounded Ender, in his frightened 6-year old mind, he probably saw a bunch of Peters who were going to kill him.
If the buggers get him, they'll make me look like his favorite uncle.
Graft knew this. That's why he put Ender in the situation to begin with. He knew Ender was going to misjudge the situation, although Stilson's death came as a bit of a surprise to him. He wanted to see what Ender would do when he was placed with a life-threatening enemy. Ender's "all or nothing" strategy did make the IF wonder if he was no better than Peter, but his tears assured them otherwise.
Vita sine litteris mors est.

"He luxuriated in the sound of high language well spoken." --Ender's Shadow

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:13 am

Stilson was just a school yard bully who was neither strong enough nor malicious enough to cause the kind of harm that Bonzo intended, thus justifying Ender’s lethal response against him. For the likes of Stilson, a simple bloody nose and split lip would likely have been enough to deter further aggression. Even if it wasn’t, it’s doubtful that Stilson would have ever inflicted serious harm.
But you're forgetting Ender's perspective. As I saw it when I read the book, it's true that Ender went overboard, that's why Graft had to ask Ender personally about his motives, but much of it is Ender's own fear in the situation. Remember, at home Ender is constantly being threatened by Peter saying he's going to kill him as soon as nobody's looking. As soon as the monitor is taken out, Peter is Ender's first thought. So when Stilson and his gang surrounded Ender, in his frightened 6-year old mind, he probably saw a bunch of Peters who were going to kill him.
But that's part of my point. It's the only time Ender totally failed to understand his enemy.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rafka
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Rafka » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:42 pm

But that's part of my point. It's the only time Ender totally failed to understand his enemy.
:oops: Sorry, you're right...somehow, (don't ask, I don't know for the life of me) I managed to get your post mixed up with Janus' post questioning how the Stilson incident got Ender into Battle School. Looking at the post, I can see it's kinda muddled, but the point I was trying to make was that Ender did exactly what the IF wanted him to do.

Although, I will add that, technically speaking, if Ender really thought that Stilson was Peter, then he didn't misjudge his enemy at all. Personally I don't think he actually saw Stilson, I think he literally saw Peter standing there. In other words, I think Peter, even though he wasn't physically there, was the real enemy in that case. Poor Stilson was just in the way.

But yes, I do agree with you that if Stilson was even on Ender's radar (which I don't think he was), then Ender extremely misjudged him and it was an interesting mistake for him to make.
Vita sine litteris mors est.

"He luxuriated in the sound of high language well spoken." --Ender's Shadow

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 pm

You're actually wrong, neo, Stilson wasn't the only time Ender misjudged his enemy. Ender also misjudged the intentions of the Buggers.

If anything, the Stilson fight is a closer parallel to the war with the Buggers than the Bonzo fight was, as in both cases Ender was actually unconcerned with what the ultimate intentions of his enemy were. (I know, with the Buggers Ender was unaware he was actually fighting them, but since his guilt of the Xenocide comes from his knowledge that he would have done the same thing even had he had that information, the point stands.)

The point is that Ender's usefulness comes from his ability to understand his enemies' strategies, to judge what they're actions will be based on who or what they are, and how to counter that completely.

Battle School wasn't looking for someone who would figure out how much was just the right amount of force necessary to make the Buggers submit, they were looking for someone to utterly cripple them so that the Buggers could never come back and attack Earth. The Stilson fight was a strong initial indicator that Ender was capable of that.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:52 am

Those are very good points. Of course, he was deliberately misled during the third invasion. Had he realized that he was facing the buggers perhaps he would have considered their motives more thoroughly.

As for what the I.F. wanted, Graff specifically said that they needed someone compassionate enough to actually understand his enemy AND be willing to utterly crush them. It was Ender's empathy that made him a better choice than Peter.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”