Speaker vs. Shadow

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.

Which did you like better?

The Speaker series (Exile, SftD, Xenocide, CotM)
60%
The Shadow series (SotH, SP, SotG)
40%

Total votes: 5

lennyathena
Launchie
Launchie

Speaker vs. Shadow

Postby lennyathena » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:46 pm

I just want to discuss ALL the books because i'm obsessed, just like everyone else on this forum (except the trolls).

I thought the speaker series was the ultra-scientific one, with the starships and the philotes and the aiuas and the descolada and the piggies and whatnot. But the shadow series was the political one with all the countries waging war and achilles trying to hunt bean and petra down.

One more thing before I click "Submit": I thought that SotG's ending was terrible :( no offense towards OSC, i love the book. but it had me crying for bean for weeks and weeks. and it was sad that peter died so young - he's one of my favorite characters. in a way, petra is like novinha, losing people she loves. the last sentence in SotG had me break down in tears. "she loved them both, the husband who had a monument and a book, and the husband whose only monument was in her heart"

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:14 pm

i love both serires. but i found shadow more like you said politcail. the sci-fy. but when ender died i couldnt read that chapeter for weeks. i cried for weeks and still do. same thing with bean. i just couldnt, but when i thought about i cried. and the school send me to the consuler. but i said nuthing was worng and the send me back to class. and Petra is Novinha. losing people she loves. its just sad. OSC has the power to make people cry. :cry:
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Re: Speaker vs. Shadow

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:18 pm

One more thing before I click "Submit": I thought that SotG's ending was terrible :( no offense towards OSC, i love the book. but it had me crying for bean for weeks and weeks. and it was sad that peter died so young - he's one of my favorite characters. in a way, petra is like novinha, losing people she loves. the last sentence in SotG had me break down in tears. "she loved them both, the husband who had a monument and a book, and the husband whose only monument was in her heart"
Wasn't Peter in his 70s? Not exactly young though not that old either.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

lennyathena
Launchie
Launchie

Postby lennyathena » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:45 pm

i think ender in exile said he was in his late fifties? anyways he died relatively early.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:03 am

Oh yes, that was one of the retcons. I'm re-reading E in E right now and taking note of several.

I suppose being head of the first united world government is a stressful job.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”