Ender vs Peter

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
zimme399@d.umn.edu
Launchie
Launchie

Ender vs Peter

Postby zimme399@d.umn.edu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:28 am

psychology has suggested that people are who they are by nature vs nurture. Some say the relation is 50/50. If Ender and his sister have compassion for people, what went terrible wrong with Peter in his upbringing?

descaladore13
Launchie
Launchie

Ender vs. Peter

Postby descaladore13 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:51 pm

If you remember from Ender's game, Peter was so mean for two reasons. The first being that his parents made no move to teach him their own ways until it was already to late. The second reason was because he knew that he had been rejected by the Battle School, and that was the only reason Ender was born.

meuwi032
Launchie
Launchie

Psychology

Postby meuwi032 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:56 am

If you are looking at Peter's personality from a psychology standpoint, he has psychopathy (he is a psychopath). This means he is able to separate emotion from experiences in his life. He can choose whether or not he wants to feel, and to what degree. For example, many psychopaths have no problem manipulating others. They have no problem lying to them and making up stories, and they often don't ever have close relationships. Furthermore, they make every move cautiously. Their behavior is not clouded by emotion. Every decision has been thought to weigh the positives against the negatives. This is what I believe was the case with Peter. He had incredible intellectual and physical capabilities, however, he was too smart. He knew too much about how to get his way. And on the flip side, he was willing to go too far. I'm not an expert or anything, but I am a psychology major. Don't quote me on this; but I think it's definitely somewhat of an explanation!

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Ender vs Peter

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:10 pm

[quote="zimme399@d.umn.edu"]psychology has suggested that people are who they are by nature vs nurture. Some say the relation is 50/50. If Ender and his sister have compassion for people, what went terrible wrong with Peter in his upbringing?[/quote]
but remeber, val was too soft for battle school. ender was mixed. so basically, ender is both. and in EG val or ender realized that they were all the same. but seprated by jealously. :oops:
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

jake11124
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Psychology

Postby jake11124 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:31 pm

If you are looking at Peter's personality from a psychology standpoint, he has psychopathy (he is a psychopath). This means he is able to separate emotion from experiences in his life. He can choose whether or not he wants to feel, and to what degree. For example, many psychopaths have no problem manipulating others. They have no problem lying to them and making up stories, and they often don't ever have close relationships. Furthermore, they make every move cautiously. Their behavior is not clouded by emotion. Every decision has been thought to weigh the positives against the negatives. This is what I believe was the case with Peter. He had incredible intellectual and physical capabilities, however, he was too smart. He knew too much about how to get his way. And on the flip side, he was willing to go too far. I'm not an expert or anything, but I am a psychology major. Don't quote me on this; but I think it's definitely somewhat of an explanation!
I don't that peter did separate his emotions at the level you seem to think(I may have misinterpreted) The only reason he decided to unite the world was to prove that he was better than ender. I haven't read any of the shadow series in a while but I think that there are more examples.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”