Question regarding book

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
sturz005
Launchie
Launchie

Question regarding book

Postby sturz005 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:23 pm

I am still unsure, even after finishing the book, why the monitor was placed on Ender and all of the other children. I believe that it has something to do with monitor his every move and every feeling. But I feel as thought there might be some larger meaning that I am missing.

I also do not fully grasp why the buggers would leave a queen's egg so that Ender could re-populate them. Why would anyone want to bring the buggers back into existance after they worked so hard to fight them?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:19 pm

I don't think that there was any deeper significance to what the monitor did. However, the lack of the monitor was Ender's final test. The Powers That Be wanted to see how he would handle Stilson and Peter without the monitor keeping them at bay.

To answer your second question I suggest that you re-read the final chapter and try to understand for yourself. Or, read the sequel "Speaker for the Dead" which deals with that particular issue in more detail.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Pseudonym
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Pseudonym » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:24 am

From what I've interpreted, I feel that the Monitor is meant to literally see through the child's eyes, walk in his shoes. It was obviously tied deeply into the brain, and judging by some of the comments made by Peter and some IF people, I would assume it was able to read all bodily functions such as heart rate, respiration, and pain receptors. Recording sound is obvious, but it's unclear if sight was recorded.

The Battle School recorded the first entire first fiew years of Ender's life, so clearly they used it to judge the character of the child, his intelligence, and how he naturally handles situations.

As for the Formic question, I agree with neo-dragon's response completely, but maybe read the last two chapters.
I wont be coming home tonight.
My generation will put it right.
We're not just making promises,
that we know, well never keep.

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:47 am

I would assume [the monitor] was able to read all bodily functions such as heart rate, respiration, and pain receptors. Recording sound is obvious, but it's unclear if sight was recorded.
I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one.
You live in somebody's body for a few years, you get used to it. I look at his face now, I can't tell what's going on. I'm not used to seeing his facial expressions. I'm used to feeling them.
I'm pretty sure sight and sound were recorded, as well as most or all sensations and perceptions. Everything the peripheral nervous system produces. I assume the existence of a teacher's counterpart to the monitor that lets them literally experience the sensations recorded by the monitor; a receiver, if you will.

It's a hypothetical technology OSC has referenced elsewhere; the Worthing Saga, for example, though there it need only be worn rather than surgically implanted.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:10 pm

what i dont get are the ages? i spend the hours i have school, trying figure out thier ages. it too confusing.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”