Reaction to Ender's Game

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
lindseyl
Launchie
Launchie

Reaction to Ender's Game

Postby lindseyl » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:53 pm

The hardest time I had with Ender's game was picturing very young children doing very adult things. It was hard for me to picture their size and what their faces may look like.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:49 pm

That really is probably the most surreal part of the story. Looking at most 6-year-olds, it's pretty hard to see them doing anything that happened at battle school.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:08 pm

Watching the new Karate Kid actually reminded me of Ender's Game. I know that Jaden Smith was 10 or 11 when making the movie but to me, he looked more like 8ish. I found it difficult to watch some of the fight scenes when he looked so small and young. If they can do that, they could do EG.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Interestingly, despite the blows that kids take in that movie there's not a drop of blood shed.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Dirt E Harry
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Dirt E Harry » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:05 am

If you have trouble picturiing children saving the world, may I suggest a really fantastic animated series (now a motion picture), Avatar: The last Air Bender. :D

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Well the series is good anyway. The recent film is less than stellar.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:51 am

OSC argues in the introduction to Ender's Game (written long after the book) that he wasn't intending to write childhood as it appears to the audience, but childhood as it appears to children. When you were little and a bully picked on you at recess, it didn't seem trivial. It seemed like a mugging, a narrow escape from real violence. Or, in unluckier cases, like real violence. OSC was describing in adult terms what childhood feels like to children. And, in that sense, the children doing such adult things is not just an acceptable distortion of reality but a revolutionary, innovative kind of honesty. In my view, it's what makes the book so fascinating.

Compare that to Little Nemo or Alice in Wonderland, where the kids act silly and childish. You don't empathize with them as much because they're strangers, acting less mature than you would, doing exceptionally silly things you would never sink to do in their position. In Ender's Game, however, they feel as mature and as smart (or moreso) than yourself. You empathize with them, perhaps even aspire to be that quick-minded and capable. It makes the story more real, not less.

descaladore13
Launchie
Launchie

ender

Postby descaladore13 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:00 pm

Ender's game was the first real science fiction novel I had ever read, and it got me hooked on that genre. I was eight when i first read the book, and at that point I thought it was a great book and tried speaker for the dead. This bored me and I left it alone for awhile and then I heard of the shadow series and started reading that. Later, I heard Ender in exile was coming out so I read enders game again to refresh my memory, and then read EiE. At this point, I was eleven and tried speaker for the dead again. This time I read the entire series and am currently waiting for Shadows in Flight to come out.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:56 pm

My reaction is that, i didnt think they were kids at all. until i read the book all over again. I'm like, "OH! THEY ARE KIDS!!!!"
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”