Bean?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Bean?

Postby ptr.arkanian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:38 pm

What happened to Bean? That is the biggest mystery left when all is said and done at the end of the Shadow Series. I find this slightly ironic considering the whole Shadow Series is based off of him and his life. When Bean and the kid's with Anton's Key leave, they say that Bean's ship is equipt with ansible. Why doesn't he ever use it? I understand if keeping in touch with Petra would've been to painful, but when Achilles II (or Arkanian Delphinki) was found why did noone attempt to contact Bean? Every string in the whole series connects within Ender in Exile. Everyone takes part in this story, except for Bean. He is just left on an endless journey to nowhere. Why did OSC leave Bean out of this conclusion?
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 pm

I wondered that too. Perhaps another mid-quel?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 am

Supposedly he still intends to write "Shadows in Flight". He's probably saving Bean's story for that.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

1chapelcredit
Launchie
Launchie

Postby 1chapelcredit » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Supposedly he still intends to write "Shadows in Flight". He's probably saving Bean's story for that.
Well, he had better be! The ending to Shadow of the Giant has got to be the most frustrating thing in any OSC novel. It is never adequately explained why Bean's children can't all stay on Earth, study genetics and look for the cure for Anton's Key themselves. The three who have it turned would be able to understand all of Anton and Volescu's research before they turned four, and would likely be breaking new ground by six. If a cure were possible at all, there is no chance that they wouldn't find it before they turned Twelve.

As for Bean, he could still go through with the original plan and travel at relativistic speed until his children found a cure. He would return to an Earth where his children were only a few years younger than him and his wife was more than a decade older, but it would be livable, if not a little weird. But my guess is, Bean wouldn't really mind dying on Earth at the age of 17 or 18, surrounded by his wife and his brilliant young children, so long as he knew that, more likely than not, his children would not have to meet a similar untimely end.

It seems like the only reasonable solution to me. Why wasn't this addressed?

HeatherDanger
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HeatherDanger » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:43 pm

Has there been any new updates on the progress oh 'Shadows in Flight'? With how much and how quickly OSC can pump out novels one would think it would be near completion. That may just be wishful thinking but Bean is still young and thrown into the relativistic time portal vacuum of never ending possibilities [aka SPACE] there are millions of tangents he could take. I just sincerely hope he doesn't let the end of the Shadows series fizzle out and die a pathetic death.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun May 02, 2010 8:00 pm

I wouldn't get my hopes up, given how long he's been planning on writing "Master Alvin" and how he's been talking about the other novels he's working on, lately.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Ender751
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ender751 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:32 pm

I wouldn't get my hopes up, given how long he's been planning on writing "Master Alvin" and how he's been talking about the other novels he's working on, lately.
I disagree. OSC published Xenocide 5 yrs. after SftD and CotM was published 5 yrs. after Xenocide. This whole series started in 1985 and the most recent book was 2008 (Ender in Exile). I'm not giving up hope till it's been ignored 10 yrs or so.

"Master Alvin" is another story it's been since 2003 since The Crystal City was released.
-Nick

Bean scored higher on the Battle School tests than anyone else in history. No on else was close. Well, Ender was close, but close is relative. Bean was off the charts.
How? He answered questions you didn't ask?
Exactly, He had time to spare. He commented on them and mentioned how the test could have been improved.

Ender751
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ender751 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:32 am

Hey guys,
I found this last night. Do you think it's legit? It seems like the way he might open the book.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5876081/1/Shadows_in_Flight
-Nick

Bean scored higher on the Battle School tests than anyone else in history. No on else was close. Well, Ender was close, but close is relative. Bean was off the charts.
Exactly, He had time to spare. He commented on them and mentioned how the test could have been improved.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon May 17, 2010 7:42 am

Nothing on a fanfic site is real, OSC notoriously hates fanfic.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon May 17, 2010 7:47 am

I was more responding to Heather's comment that one would think Shadows in Flight would be near completion than anything else. I expect he'll get around to writing it... eventually. (Assuming he doesn't die before he gets around to it.) But I wouldn't hold my breath than it's almost done or even that he's started the actual writing, yet. He has a number of projects in development and nothing I've heard recently indicates that Shadows in Flight is near the top of the list. (And let's not forget that he's been planning Shadows in Flight for what, five years now, well before Ender in Exile.)

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon May 17, 2010 7:49 am

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on the fact that Ender751 wrote it.

Ender751
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ender751 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:59 am

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on the fact that Ender751 wrote it.
I wish I could write that well.
-Nick

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Sat May 22, 2010 6:20 am

There are some flaws in that fanfic.

1) Hot Soup says "Besides [Bean], Ender was the youngest of us" That's not true. Hot Soup himself was a toon leader in Dragon Army, in which none of the soldiers were older than Ender. Crazy Tom, Vlad, and Dumper were also toon leaders and jeesh members, and Shen and Alai were in Ender's same launch, basically the same age. But Hot Soup is the best example; he certainly wouldn't mistakenly call Ender younger than himself.

2) Hot Soup tells Petra "you were younger than me." Same problem; she's his senior by several years! How could he not remember being about 9 to her 12 when Ender's Dragon faced her Phoenix?

3) Hot Soup mentions "Ender moving and stopping and moving again." (meaning near-light-speed jumps from colony to colony.) Ender's plan was to go to one colony and govern it, and he did. Why would Hot Soup expect anything different?

The fanfic letters have good emotional content, but are too intent on explicitly mentioning every fact possible (OSC prefers implication to statement) and too inaccurate on the facts mentioned. I'd say voice is a little weak, too, but not so bad.

(This kind of pickiness is why I can never get anything written. I'm never satisfied with it.)

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:47 pm

i really want to knwo bout bean. like wat teh hell happen to him and his kids. but wat happend to rest of the jeesh?
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”