null gravity?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

null gravity?

Postby ptr.arkanian » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:32 am

just a quick question...

does anyone know if it is actually (physically or scientifically or whatever) possible to create a null gravity room on earth or anything close to 0 gravity?
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

Ended
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ended » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:55 am

Not for extended periods of time: you can give the impression of zero-g by dropping the room at 9.81 m/s. one thing to note is that no human has ever experienced true zero-g: a ship in orbit is acutally falling towards the earth and "missing".

[tangent]There is a point between the earth and the moon where their gravity fields cancel out (a Lagrange point: technically there are five between any orbiting bodies) but positioning something there is complicated because dust and rocks tend to accumilate there. as well as this, the Lagrange points are affected by other masses.[/tangent]

Quick answer: no, we know very little about gravity and certainly not enough to manipulate it.

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:21 pm

If you have ever learned to fly in a tiny plane, (or any plane, really), you have to learn how to get into and out of stalls (both full power stalls and no power stalls). in doing this, especially in smaller planes like a cessna, you go into negative G's (i.e. you are accelerating downward faster than 9.81 m/s and all loose objects float to the ceiling [or hit it hard depending on how extreme a stall you are doing]). Stalling is very fun if you know how to get out of it and if you have the stomach for it. Astronauts often train for null-g by getting in a C-130 and having the plane freefall.

Back to topic.

Ended, people have broken Earth orbit before and experienced only an infinitesimal degree of gravity from the Sun. That is as close to null-g as the Battleschoolers get.

Who here would honestly NOT want there to be an actual battle school in which geniuses (like me! JK) would get to go and do stuff like THAT? TOO COOL!
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ptr.arkanian » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:59 pm

i reallly realllly realllly want to go to battle school.
a school full of kids that are all that smart would be an amazing thing to witness, plus this is military training like no one has ever seen before.
when i think of the game, i envision a sort of null gravity lazer tag but the lazers freeze you and to win you have to unlock the gate.
if we could find a way to turn off gravity, on or off earth, we could legitimately create the battleroom.
the way students train at battle school could potentially be benefical for soldiers here. they have to work out alot so that they are strong enough for null gravity and the game gives them target practice, and experience thinking up stratagies on the fly in enviornments where they have never fought.
if only we could create a real battleschool....
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

Ended
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ended » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:52 am

Ended, people have broken Earth orbit before and experienced only an infinitesimal degree of gravity from the Sun. That is as close to null-g as the Battleschoolers get.

Who here would honestly NOT want there to be an actual battle school in which geniuses (like me! JK) would get to go and do stuff like THAT? TOO COOL!
erm... when has anyone gone beyond lunar orbit?
and the battlerooms do have null g to counteract the stations spin.

ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ptr.arkanian » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:03 am

yeah i think your right that noone has gone beyond lunar orbit before. and thats not null-g because of the gravitational pull toward the moon correct?

but if we could replicate something close to that in just a room on earth, it could be a sufficient type of battle school
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”