The third invasion

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Ended
Launchie
Launchie

The third invasion

Postby Ended » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:26 am

Hello, i have some questions about the third invasion

What i have established so far:
there are at least three different human ship models in the third invasion with 12, 8, and 4 fighters each. the ships also have different ranged M.D.D.'s, with the 4 fighter ship's being half the range of the 12 fighter ship.

In Ender's game, the little doctor seems to be a beam weapon (Mazer tells Ender the M.D.D. field is set up at the focal point of two beams), in subsiquent books, it is definately a projectile.

Questions:
How many classes of IF ships should there be?
Should the Dr. Device be a beam or a missile?
How many shots should each ship have?
How many classes should the Formic fleet consist of?
Should the ships vary according to age, or weapondry?
Should the Formic fleets have fighters like the IF?
I know both the Buggers and the IF can manipulate gravity, but how far should their ships rely on this for movement?

Thanks in advance

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Planning to make a game?

I really have no clue. To learn something like that, get the Enderverse Companion. I don't have it, but it should give you the answers you need.
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

Rodaka
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Rodaka » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:36 pm

Well, in Children of the Mind, it calls the M.D.D. a rocket..

In Ender of Exile, it explains how their ships worked as well.
"I once heard a tale of a man who split himself in two. The one part never changed at all; the other grew and grew. The changeless part was always true, the growing part was always new, and I wondered, when the tale was through, which part was me, and which was you."

ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ptr.arkanian » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:48 pm

the ships should be vary according to age because it takes hundreds of years to travel at lightspeed and the ships arriving at different times would have been sent at different times. there would be advancements in the newer ships such as weapondry. but i think classifying them by age would make it obvious what type of weaponry the ship carries
the formic ships shouldnt be much like the IF ships. after all, the are "aliens". Plus, Mazer Rackham talks about how their ships are much more advanced than ours because they had more time to prepare for the invasion.
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

Ended
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ended » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 am

Planning to make a game?
well, a mod.

what i want to know how many ship classes to make for each side.
i'll order the enderverse companion
thanks

Arlecchino
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Arlecchino » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:49 am

Now, tell me if im wrong here, but I remember someone telling Ender that the ships from both the IF and Formics has shields around each of them. Making them look like spheres instead of ships.

Also, these shields are created to protect against missles (hence why war on earth was so hard) so my thinking is that the Dr. Device is a beam during the 3rd invasion. The only reason it was a missle in CoTM was because they needed a delivery system for the beam so that the ship doesnt get to close. If it's to close, it would get destroyed by the planet.

Make senses? Check ender in exile for the shield idea...

Rodaka
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Rodaka » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Now, tell me if im wrong here, but I remember someone telling Ender that the ships from both the IF and Formics has shields around each of them. Making them look like spheres instead of ships.

Also, these shields are created to protect against missles (hence why war on earth was so hard) so my thinking is that the Dr. Device is a beam during the 3rd invasion. The only reason it was a missle in CoTM was because they needed a delivery system for the beam so that the ship doesnt get to close. If it's to close, it would get destroyed by the planet.

Make senses? Check ender in exile for the shield idea...
When it talked about the shield, it wasn't to protect from missiles, but from the dust and such in space, and that it used that space dust, that would have normally destroyed a ship going to that speed, and the energy involved in that space dust to push the ship along.

That's why they never heard about a ship getting crushed, because whatever ran into it was used to power all of the movement.

It uses the same technology and concept that MDD does.

The MDD is a laser of sorts, but more like a chain reaction.

Ender in Exile is definitely your best bet to learn all about that.
"I once heard a tale of a man who split himself in two. The one part never changed at all; the other grew and grew. The changeless part was always true, the growing part was always new, and I wondered, when the tale was through, which part was me, and which was you."

Ended
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ended » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:07 am

now i'm a bit confused. in ender's shadow, bean tells the soldiers to detonate the mdd inside their ship. seems a bit hard for a beam weapon. i'm wondering if i should use artistic licence and just use a beam...
i think the ships have lots of other weapondry: the mdd is only used a handfull of times in the invasion: the first battle, the time petra falls asleap, and the final battle. at least that's what ender's shadow seems to say

Arlecchino
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Arlecchino » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Ofcourse they have other weapons. The MDD is just the heavy duty one.

Now that you mention it Ended, I forgot how Bean told them to detonate it inside their ship... hmm.

Im going to go with it's not a missle because what kind of missle could unstablize the molecules of an object? I think it's a missle deplayment device with the beam weapon inside.

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:28 pm

I agree. Launches missiles which set up the field remotely so that the attacker can get out of the way soon. Basically a laser shooting missile. In your mod, maybe create two MDD deployment options: a short-range, high-damaging. high-risk attack, or a long-range, safe, but slightly weaker missile attack.
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

Ended
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ended » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 am

hmm... a slightly less damaging weapon that completely obliterates it's target? :P

i get what you mean. maybe less propergating or something like that.

i've done a model for a bugger ship, and i've started on an IF one

Ended
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ended » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:37 am

modeled the first IF ship

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”