Ender's game, a comment on cultutal imperialism.

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
ifeellikejane
Launchie
Launchie

Ender's game, a comment on cultutal imperialism.

Postby ifeellikejane » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:04 am

When I read this book, I thought of a parallel to what it was like down in Ecuador. It was just after they were forced to adopt the US Dollar as their currency. While people claimed that this was the best way to handle their economic problems, the citizens hated it, as everything became more expensive, pay went down, and other aspects of American culture began to replace their culture. The decision to convert currency (pressed for by the United States) instead of just pegging the currency to the dollar, which neighboring countries had done, they not only gave up the money that can be made from printing currency, they gave up that aspect of their national identity. In Quito, American Chain restaurants like McDonald's have sprung up and replaced much of the local family places. While in the rain forest, there are towns that look like they came out of an 1800's western movie. They are viewed as inferior by the powers that be, and you can see the deforestation happening, and getting closer and closer to their community. Soon they will be forced out of the community as the natural trees that they harvest fruit from will be gone and replaced corporate farms, or they will be drilled for oil. I fear that it may not be possible to go down there in 20 years and see the traditional community gathering and dances/rituals, as they will be forced into cities, and be harassed for disturbing the peace. You can see that this has happened a few times to this culture, you can still see the spanish built churches scatters throughout the forest. A reminder that this culture has been adulterated from previous aggressors.

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Um... are you trying to say that the parallel lies in the fact that Ender destroyed a previously unknown culture? What, exactly, is parallel here?
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

Sapphire
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Ender's game, a comment on cultutal imperialism.

Postby Sapphire » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:19 pm

When I read this book, I thought of a parallel to what it was like down in Ecuador. It was just after they were forced to adopt the US Dollar as their currency. While people claimed that this was the best way to handle their economic problems, the citizens hated it...

...you can see that this has happened a few times to this culture, you can still see the spanish built churches scatters throughout the forest. A reminder that this culture has been adulterated from previous aggressors.

I see two possible parallels with this example:

One, I see a parallel between the currency change in Ecuador and the limit on the number of children that a couple can have in Ender's Game. Maybe not an obvious parallel at first, but if you look at Ender's parents, they claim that the limit on children is a good thing and a part of society that they want to adhere to. At the same time, that view doesn't entirely fit what they truly believe and want. There is conflict between what they think they know is best for 'the good of all' and what they personally believe and desire.

Two, when Ender and Valentine move to a planet that had formerly been inhabited by the aliens, they create their own society, but also run into relics from the past culture. Much like I would imagine seeing old Spanish churches scattered through a forest in Ecuador. And maybe when some other alien species takes over the planet, they will see a mix of both cultures.

Just a few possibilities to ponder...
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
-- Robert Frost

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”