Xenocide

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Xenocide

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:43 pm

Just finished a few minutes ago and my mind is blasted to little bits and pieces. When I read about young Peter and Val, I couldn't stop laughing. I think their existence made me remember the author. I don't like to remember the author when I'm reading a story, because it makes the story seem more real. Too many twists take the reality out of a story I think.

Yet, I think the revelations in Xeno was interesting. I think the philotes and aiuas are very interesting. I was elated when I read the dialogue between Ender and the Hive Queen.

So I'm on the fence. I'm halfway between saying Xenocide is the worst EG book ever and that it is the best EG book ever.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:26 pm

I personally won't be reading it soon because I had to read it like three times in order to finish a book report, which I got a 95 on :)

But yeah, the fact that they just made up all the stuff about the Outside and then tested it AND then it turned out to be true? Kinda unrealistic to me. And all the thoeries about the auias and philotic web, even though it kinda made sense, I found it hard to keep up with at times. But compared to the Shadow series and all the confusing war stuff, it wasn't too bad.
Last edited by Peterlover14 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:18 pm

I found the science and philosphy of the Speaker books a little hard to follow. War was kind of hard too. But because of my loyalty to Bean, I still stand beside Shadow.

Then again, Peter and Wang-mu are very intriguing. Who knows. Maybe my loyalty will sway. CotM begins far more captivating than Xeno, I must admit.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:35 pm

Yeah I'm rooting for Peter and Wang Mu too even though I like the real Peter better.

I just didn't understand what was going on with all the mulsims and India because I never understood who was doing what and Card would keep making allusions to past events in their cultures and I take world history next year so...it didn't make sense. I hate politics...

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:21 pm

We don't know enough history to understand the context. Which sucks. That means maybe after a few years, I will have to reread to understand.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:18 am

Exactly. Do you understand which side India was on? Because I was confused...

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:52 pm

Whoever sides with India would have the upper hand... or so Virlomi makes it seem. India is the most populated (at that time), and if either China or the Islamic nations or even the FPE joined India, they would represent the majority of the population of Earth. Even if they joined FPE together, they would have an advantage.

(Beg pardon if I remember this wrong.)

The reason Virlomi rejects China is because she is bitter about China ruling over India, and she wants to "break free". She doesn't join FPE because then she wouldn't be able to lead India into war with China. It's also partly because seducing Peter didn't work lol

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Hahaha that part cracked me up. Peters first kiss, awww.

I got the Ender Companion today. Hopefully it can break down what happened a little more.

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:30 pm

I spotted an error (?) in the Companion. It says that Nikolai and Bean were both promoted to Rabbit, and Nik became commander. That's not possible because you can't lead an army you've been in before. Nik must have been pushed somewhere else so he can lead Rabbit.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:37 pm

[Nikolai's] got him an army. Hell, he wasn't even a toon leader here. Just got here last week. ES 393.

So basically, Bean became commander of Rabbit, and Nikolai was put in another army. Then when Bean was sent into Ender's jeesh, Nikolai replaced him. I'd need to read the companion though, and I don't have the AEC, but this is what I've found in ES.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:44 pm

I know he was in ES, but the Companion... or maybe I remembered it wrong.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:27 pm

I don't have the AEC, so I don't know what it says, but Nikolai was assigned to another army (I want to say Rat but I don't have a copy handy) before taking over Rabbit.

That said, I believe Ender says that nobody had ever became commander of an army they were in at the time of promotion, which is a bit different than nobody becoming commander of an army they've been in at some point in the past. So, while Ender was in both Phoenix and Salamander, he could have been promoted to Salamander commander but not Phoenix, as he was a toon leader in Phoenix prior to promotion.

All the same, it's not true that nobody ever became a commander of the army they were in at the time of promotion; see Dink and Rat Army.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Nikolai was assigned to Rat before Rabbit. I read the book yesterday.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:50 am

That said, I believe Ender says that nobody had ever became commander of an army they were in at the time of promotion,
Yes (though Ender didn't technically 'say' it, but it's implied to be his thoughts):
He wondered which army they'd give him. Three commanders were graduating soon,
including Petra, but it was beyond hope for them to give him Phoenix Army. No one ever
succeeded to command of the same army he was in when he was promoted.
All the same, it's not true that nobody ever became a commander of the army they were in at the time of promotion; see Dink and Rat Army.
I remember thinking this as a contradiction, too, but I'm not actually sure he was in Rat when he was promoted. EG says:
Dink Meeker had finally accepted command and succeeded Rose the
Nose in Rat Army's command.
But that was mentioned about a year after Ender started being... well, really damn good in the battle room. Considering Ender was in Phoenix by that time with Petra, it wouldn't seem unreasonable to think Dink had perhaps moved around a bit in the year or so we didn't see.

There may be some other thing saying he was in Rat at that time; I seem to recall thinking that, but I don't remember why.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Kind of irrelevant but: What is the significance of that Chinese character at the header of every chapter in CotM?? It has the traditional character for dragon, and another character attached to it...

And sometime during Ender's death bed scenes, Plikt says "I room". What does "I room" mean??

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”