Favorite Enderverse quotes

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:20 pm

"I'm crazy, but I think I'm ok,"
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

g0newick3d
Launchie
Launchie

Postby g0newick3d » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:55 am

"Life is full of grief, to exactly the degree we allow ourselves to love other people." So true. That's from SotG by the way.

3nder
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 3nder » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:15 pm

The future is made of 100,000 threads but he past is made of a fabric that can never be rewoven.

im pretty sure it was Jane that said that
Never go to bed angry....
Stay up and plot your revenge.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:31 am

The future is made of 100,000 threads but he past is made of a fabric that can never be rewoven.

im pretty sure it was Jane that said that
Wang-mu, actually.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Achilles
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Achilles » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:06 pm

"That may be complete bullshit sir, but it's first rate bullshit. I'll pass it on"
- Enders shadow -When bean was informed he was going to rabbit army, i reread that book 2 days ago and now it's somewhere where god only knows where it is.

"It didnt bring back Poke, or Sister Carlotta, or any of the other peiple he had killed. It didnt change the nations of the world back to the way they were before Achilles started making them his building blocks, to break apart and put together however he wanted. It didnt end the wars Achilles had started. it didnt make Bean feel any better. There was no joy in vengeance, and precious little in justice, either.
But there was this: Achilles would never kill again.
That was all Bean could ask of a little .22."
-Shadow Puppets, page 336, after bean shoots achilles.

'"OK, OK, leave the room so i can take my clothes off and get in the shower. Or is this just a subterfuge so you can see me naked again? You've never let me forget how you used to change my diapers, so apparently that was a very important stage in your life."
He was answered by having water dashed in his face. NOt a whole bucketful, but enough to soak his head and shoulders.
"Sorry i didnt have time to fill it," said Father. "But when you start making crude sexual innuendos to my wife, i had to use whatever amount of water was at hand to shut you up before you said enough that i would have to beat your bratty little face in."
Peter got up from the mattress on the floor and pulled off the shorts he slept in. "Is this what you came in to see?"
"Absolutely," said Father. "You were wrong, Theresa: he does have balls."'
-Shadow puppets, i just find this funny.

'"What, then, you'll wait for the whole world to convert to Islam and beg to be admitted to your new world order?"
"Yes," said Alai. "that's just what we'll do"
"As plans go," said Petra, "that's about the most self-delusional one i've ever heard of."
-Shadow puppets page 211

There are many more quotes i'd do if i could find that dratted Enders shadow book, but i'll just put my mom to work when she gets home, she always has a knack for finding things.

LeftiesWillRule
Launchie
Launchie

Postby LeftiesWillRule » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:59 am

-member of Jeesh (was he ever named?)

ummm.... it was dink you moron
hlp ndr jeesh tgdr en rus bns tun 6 rmy siz 40 n try sbtg bn fnd wiggin ptr

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:53 am

-member of Jeesh (was he ever named?)

ummm.... it was dink you moron
Nope.
They looked at him uncomprehendingly. When did it happen? I never heard of anything like that. Where could they have tested that weapon against a planet? I know, they took out Neptune!
They are unnamed, just as Dragonteen thought. It's not really dialogue, per se, so perhaps not even a direct quote.

dgf hhw

ender23
Launchie
Launchie

i ya the cook

Postby ender23 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:56 pm

the story about I ya the cook...

I swear, I've experienced this story in a full range of emotions.... being joyful because i sacrificed a lot for something, being distraught because i didn't want to make the sacrifices, being pissed because i think the people didn't deserve a sacrifice, being horrified that commitment is such a hardcore thing, understanding that being great comes with great sacrifice, being irritated that you cannot be great and have a balanced lifestyle... and more... and more...

it's a story that han tells his daughter about the greatest cook in the world chopping up his son to feed to his master because his master said something like "oh, i've tasted all the wonders of the world except human flesh"... the greatest cook in the world. They use it in the argument on if congress is a worthy master or if they've lost the mandate of heaven. Might be during the conversation where jane reveals herself to them... Just moved so i can't dig out the book to find the exact spot.

gazie101
Launchie
Launchie

Postby gazie101 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:26 pm

"God knows what spirit animates these idols and makes them laugh their ho, ho, whoredoms..."
- Reverend Habit Morgan

'ho, ho, whoredoms' just tickled me, and I love the Reverend Morgan character, cracks me up.
gazie101
Enders Universe Member.

SaintDrogo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SaintDrogo » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:35 pm

One of my favorites is from Speaker where Ender and Novinha have recently met. I have it tattooed on my feet.

"Es solo fecundo e vou plantar jardim ai"

I also like the end of Ender's Shadow where Bean's speaking to the fleet... it makes me cry every time I read it, the whole bit about Absalom, and O my sons, would that I could die for thee. I don't remember it exactly at the moment.

And lastly for the moment, when Ender is leaving Trondheim and Valentine says something like "I don't hate you, I love you!... And when you leave that's part of my heart torn out and taken away." Again, I don't remember it exactly...

legume
Launchie
Launchie

Revelations

Postby legume » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:10 am

"Oh my son Absolom," Bean said softly, knowing for the first time the kind of anguish that could tear such words from a man's mouth. "My son, my son Absolom. Would God I could die for thee, oh Absolom my son. My sons!"

bought tears to my eyes

Warmaker
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Warmaker » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:55 am

Somewhere in Enders Game Valentine is thinking to herself and says something along the lines of, "We inevitably become what we pretend to be". She was realizing how much she agrees with her writings of Demosthenes occasionally.
80% rad, 20% kick-ass, 10% win. I give 110% to being awesome.

keats
Launchie
Launchie

Postby keats » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:14 am

One of my favorites is from Speaker where Ender and Novinha have recently met. I have it tattooed on my feet.

"Es solo fecundo e vou plantar jardim ai"

I also like the end of Ender's Shadow where Bean's speaking to the fleet... it makes me cry every time I read it, the whole bit about Absalom, and O my sons, would that I could die for thee. I don't remember it exactly at the moment.

And lastly for the moment, when Ender is leaving Trondheim and Valentine says something like "I don't hate you, I love you!... And when you leave that's part of my heart torn out and taken away." Again, I don't remember it exactly...
"Would to God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son! my son!" (I'm actually quoting it from a song by William Billings who is quoting from the Bible.
Here lies one whose name was writ in water.

NominalBeast
Launchie
Launchie

Postby NominalBeast » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:10 am

"Excuse me," said John Paul, "but some women would think that I was making a pretty damn good start at courting you. You get really bad news, you have a bad phone conversation, you cry in your office, and when you come out, here I am, with comfort food that you know I've gone to a lot of trouble to prepare for you, without your asking—and I tell you that I love you and my intention be your partner in science, politics, and family-making. I think that's damned romantic."

- Teacher's Pest, First Meetings in the Enderverse.

greenbeans16
Launchie
Launchie

Postby greenbeans16 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:11 pm

"I'm sorry I'm the only kid you have on earth."
-peter wiggin

(Not sure if those are the right words, I don't own Shadow Puppets.)

Touched my heart

CandyMoon
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CandyMoon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:07 pm

"I'm putting you in Dink Meeker's toon. From now on, as far as you're concerned, Dink Meeker is God."

"Then who are you?"
"The personal officer who hired God."
Page 100; Ender's Game

"Two faces of the same coin. And I am the metal in between."
Page 236

There was more but these are the only ones I can find on the net. I lent my copy of Ender's Game to a friend.

I also like the quotes by Petra [ Sorry If I get them Wrong ]

"Bonzo is so precise, he piss on plate and not splash."
"I have more balls than all of you."

Gosh, so many others... from so many other books.
But looks like most the others that I like have already been posted. lol.

And I think this one is my favorite....

"The enemy's gate is DOWN!"

TheRealAchilles
Launchie
Launchie

Re: i ya the cook

Postby TheRealAchilles » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:18 pm

That quote about Dink and God cracked me up when I first read it.
it's a story that han tells his daughter about the greatest cook in the world chopping up his son to feed to his master because his master said something like "oh, i've tasted all the wonders of the world except human flesh"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE8EMWxuZB0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes

I find this all very ironic.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:13 am

That is absolutely revolting

TheRealAchilles
Launchie
Launchie

Postby TheRealAchilles » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:04 am

That is absolutely revolting
And yet it pertains to the original quote in a revolting but fascinating way, neh?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu May 22, 2008 10:31 pm

"The recorder's on, it's always on, your ass is covered, go to hell."

The little conversations usually at the beginning of EG's chapters I just find so enjoyable. And this quote exemplifies the general theme (or tone? whatever) behind them quite well, I think.

(Annoyingly, my electronic copy of EG is temporarily unavailable. The above is from memory; I think it fits better with a little context, but I know I'll get the wording wrong if I try quoting it. If someone would like to fill in the context prior, it might help demonstrate it better.)

dgf hhw

Malatar
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Malatar » Mon May 26, 2008 2:47 am

It was a lie, of course, that it wouldn't hurt a bit. But since adults always said it when it was going to hurt, he could count on that statement as an accurate prediction of the future. Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth.
Enders Game, Page 2.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon May 26, 2008 3:23 am

Well that's a rather depressing entry in into the forum.

Er, um I mean Welcome to Pweb! Someone should be along with your limeade shortly. :)
The enemy's fly is down.

Malatar
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Malatar » Mon May 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Well that's a rather depressing entry in into the forum.

Er, um I mean Welcome to Pweb! Someone should be along with your limeade shortly. :)
Erm ... thanks??

As to the "depressing" bit ... I don't see it as being depressing ... I see it as a very astute observation ...
Then again, as with most of OSC's writing, it really does depend on your point of view ... ;)

DEK
Launchie
Launchie

Postby DEK » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:41 pm

What the hive-queen felt was sadness, a sense of resignation. She had not thought these words as she saw the humans coming to kill, but it was in words that Ender understood her: They did not forgive us, she thought. We will surely die. --Ender's Game

"Maybe I've fallen in love with Grego."
"You've always been a sucker for people who pee on you." --SftD

After three months in Battle School, he figured out that defensive war makes no sense and that we must have launched a fleet against the Bugger home worlds right after the end of the last war.”
"He knows that? And you come telling me he knows how many decks there are?” --Ender's Shadow

"Mother," she whispered. "Father. Did I do it right?" --Xenocide

Path is blessed above all other worlds, they said. For the God of Path is Gloriously Bright. --Xenocide

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Bumping up so maybe people will use the correct thread...and also:

"Life is full of grief, to exactly the degree we allow ourselves to love other people." - SotG, p. 161 (pb)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:42 pm

Here are some I liked/found weird/funny (I'll post more as I remember them)
"Hey, look! Salamander’s getting babies now! Look at this! He could walk between my legs without touching my balls!”

“Cause you got none, Dink, that’s why,” somebody answered."
Then in Ender's Shadow there were these lines between Dink and Petra about Bean:

"He's so small he could walk between my legs without touching my..."
"Oh Shut up Dink, that's what you said when Ender..."
"Yeah, Ender, Right"

[/code]
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

Jakt
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jakt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Bean to Petra

"Lets not go inside," said Bean. "Lets go back to the inn and have some more feelings."

Shadow Puppets paperback pg127

I never expected Bean to say something like that, I found it amusing.

Hot-Soup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Hot-Soup » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:15 pm

The world is filled with locked doors, and I have to have every key.

- Bean in Enders Shadow

He wanted the steam to fog up the mirrors. Then he didn't have to be small, he could be anyone, anywhere he wanted

- Also Bean in Enders Shadow

I thought that these thoughts really showed how Bean felt about his knowledge and his desires in life.

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:25 pm

More quotes:
(Some are in my signature)

"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon, Sister Carlotta

"He [Locke] has influence but he doesn't have power" - Chamrajnagar (?)
"In my experience, influence is power" - Graff (?) Ender's Game

"It isn't lying to tell a bureaucrat whatever story it takes to get him to do his job properly." - Shadow of the Hegemon, Sister Carlotta

"Human beings didn't evolve brains in order to lie around on lakes. Killing's the first thing we learned. And a good thing we did, or we'd be dead, and the tigers would own the earth." - Ender's Game

“My job isn’t to be friends. My job is to produce the best soldiers in the world. In the whole history of the world. We need a Napoleon. An Alexander. Except that Napoleon lost in the end, and Alexander flamed out and died young. We need a Julius Caesar, except that he made himself dictator, and died for it. My job is to produce such a creature, and all the men and women he’ll need to help him. Nowhere in that does it say I have to make friends with children.” - Ender's Game

"It's all right. I was just considering your question. My greatest regret. What a question. How can I regret leaving everything behind on Earth, when I left in order to help save it? And coming here allowed me to the things that other scientist could only dream of. I have been able to name more than five thousand species already and come up with a rudimentary classification system for an entire native biota. More than on any of the other formic world" - Ender in Exile First Edition page 207, Sel Menach
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

StrivingForSatyagraha
Launchie
Launchie

Postby StrivingForSatyagraha » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:47 am

EiE- Page 91

"I will not marry Ender Wiggin, Mother. Don't hope for what isn't possible." - Alessandra

"Don't you dare tell me what to hope for. But I will be content for you merely to become his friend." - Dorabella

"I'll be content merely to see him and not wet my pants. He's the most famous human being in the world, the greatest hero in all of history." - Alessandra

"Not wetting your pants, that's a good first step. Wet pants don't make a good impression." - Dorabella
And I always wonder-- Where is my Briseis

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:46 am

One of my favorite dialogue is the one with Valentine, Novinha, and Plikt. I just find it funny (excuse my humor) despite the tense moment.

"She wants me to wake him up," said Novinha, "and tell him he can die."
"Can I watch?" said Plikt.
Novinha took the waterglass from beside her chair and flung the water at Plikt and screamed at her. "No more of you! He's mine now, not yours!"
"It isn't Plikt who's taking him away," said Valentine softly.
"She's just like all the rest of them, reaching out for a piece of him, tearing bits of him away and devouring him, they're all cannibals."
"What," said Plikt nastily, angrily. "What, you wanted to feast on him yourself? Well, there was too much of him for you. What's worse, cannibals who nibble here and there, or a cannibal who keeps the whole man for herself when there's far more than she can ever absorb?"
"This is the most discgusting conversation I think I've ever heard," said Valentine." (pg. 196-197, Children of the Mind)
And it goes on, but I don't want to type out the entire chapter.

But one of my favorite quotes is this one:

"Think of the device as downward. The device is down. You're falling toward the device" (pg. 329, Children of the mind).

Children of the Mind was the last book I read, and I was thrilled that OSC made a reference to EG.
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

Nadroj53
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Nadroj53 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:13 pm

"The spice must flow."

"He who controls Arrakis, controls the spice"

Frank Herbert, DUNE
8)

Pixel
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Pixel » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Enderverse, Nadroj. Enderverse quotes.

irnstad
Launchie
Launchie

Postby irnstad » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:15 am

I'm at college and don't have my books with me, can someone post the section of text from one of the "Shadow" books when Bean or Petra said that their enemies were 3 steps ahead and then someone else said something about them being 5 steps ahead?
The David method of eliminating guilt is simple. All of your problems are caused by invisible people named Juan and Cindy. All you have to do is find them and kill them.

Nadroj53
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Nadroj53 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:25 pm

"Use what they give you. If you eve've ever got an advantage over the enemy, use it."

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”