Logistics of Commercial Interplanetary Instantaneous Flight

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
akrolsmir
Launchie
Launchie

Logistics of Commercial Interplanetary Instantaneous Flight

Postby akrolsmir » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Mostly, the long title.

How can this process become feasible? Jane is the only one able to send things Outside and back in, but she can only do it so quickly. For instance, the Lusitania Colony, as small as it was, couldn't get all its humans offworld in... a couple of weeks? Then, when that many people sign up to travel per day, how does one decide who gets to go?

Not to mention that Jane is also part human now, so she'll want time for a personal life.

Another aspect: How do you prevent the passengers from creating monstrosities or killing themselves while outside? Ender seems to have been the only one who created something unconsciously, but it isn't really how brilliant Ender was; it's due to his past experiences. So do you screen everyone and only let stable people go on flights?

Yet another point: Sending ships in and out supposedly requires all of Jane's concentration. How can she work on other problems (e.g. decoding the descoladores language) while sending massive amounts of people on journeys?

Anyways, I'd like to hear all your opinions on this subject matter.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:06 pm

It's been a while since I last read CotM. I don't recall if Peter or Jane herself ever said that she'd be taking over interstellar flight for humanity. I know the offer was made that she'd transport all ships currently in transit to their destinations, but that's not the same thing.

Also, I think the theory was that nothing would be created Outside as long as the trips were instantaneous. Of course, that doesn't really fit with the idea that Young Val and Peter II came into existence instantaneously.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:21 pm

If I remember correctly the reason why transporting the ships took all of her concentraction was that all of the other worlds had agreed to (shut off?) thier ansibles which was limiting Janes abilities.
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”