Exile / SotH Inconsistencies

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Pseudonym
Launchie
Launchie

Exile / SotH Inconsistencies

Postby Pseudonym » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Lately I have been reading the entire Ender series from a chronological beginning to end. I began with Ender's Game, then Ender's Shadow. After plowing through the Shadow series, I jumped into Ender in Exile, only having read it once before. During my relentless reading, I noticed some slight differences between Ender's and Peter's ansible meeting. In Ender in Exile, it is said that Ender finishes "The Hegemon", and that Peter writes back to him (or valentine, I can't recall which) saying that he didn't leave anything out, and included the good and the bad parts of his life. Yet in SotH, Peter died before the book was finished; Petra read it aloud over his grave.

Also, Ender goes on to describe Peter visually. I believe it's a message to Graff actualy. He describes steel-grey hair and such. In SotH, Peter is very adament about not using a video conversation, because it would be to hard on the both of them; Peter having aged so much, and Ender still being a young boy.

I don't know if any of these topics have been brought up before, as you can see, it's my first post, so please be gentle.
I wont be coming home tonight.
My generation will put it right.
We're not just making promises,
that we know, well never keep.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:47 pm

You're absolutely right on all those points, other than the fact that you mean SotG rather than SotH. As most of his fans know, OSC does let the occasional continuity glitch slip into his work, but what author doesn't?

Welcome to Pweb. :D
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Pseudonym
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Pseudonym » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:54 pm

SotG, my mistake. Guess I shouldn't point out OSC's discrepencies when I can't even point them out properly eh? :P
I wont be coming home tonight.
My generation will put it right.
We're not just making promises,
that we know, well never keep.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”