SftD, CofM - why not turn ansible back on

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
jively
Launchie
Launchie

SftD, CofM - why not turn ansible back on

Postby jively » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm reading through the Ender books, and am up to chapter 4 of Children of the Mind.

What was the main reason Congress ordered the fleet to destroy Lusitania? Is it because the piggies were dangerous because of the Descolada? Or because the colony revolted (and Miro and Ouanda not sent for trial)?

Why didn't, after the folks at Lusitania tamed the Descolada, have Jane restore the ansible communication, and just try to update Congress and the humans around the world about the situation?

Wouldn't they like to know that the Hive Queen was restored? Wouldn't they want to know about faster-than-light travel? Couldn't Ender publish a book about Jane to get humans to accept her?

I also understand that their rules about the Xenobiologists and piggies were there to prevent damage to them, but they could also update them a whole lot about them and how they live...

On a side note, didn't Qing-jao's report suggest 40 days for shutting down the ansible network, and then Congress made it so? Then it seemed like they had a lot more 40 days...

-Tom

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 pm

The MD Device was included in the fleet before the colony ever went into revolt, so there's a strong presumption that Congress had intended to use it all along. One could also make the weaker argument that they were just being prepared, but given the lack of starships under the colony's control, their ignorance of the buggers' presence, and the primitiveness of the piggies, it's unclear what they were "preparing" for, except to destroy the planet to ensure the descolada does not "escape."

More on your other questions later.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

jively
Launchie
Launchie

Xenocide, CofM - why not turn ansible back on

Postby jively » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:08 am

By the way, I meant Xenocide and not Speaker for the Dead.

Congress was informed of Miro and Ouanda's violations of giving information to the piggies. They copied all of the stuff from Lusitania's ansible, and then sent the order for trial. Lusitania turned off their ansible the next day. Are you sure they sent the fleet before the ansible was turned off? They took Ender's spaceship and planned on having Miro and Ouanda take it to go back to Trondheim.

I thought also that they planned on evacuating all of the humans, but that was because they didn't even know that the Descolada was dangerous if taken off the planet.

I'm "reading" these books as audiobooks so it's tough to go back to find something exactly. Also doing them fairly quickly so some things are jumbled in my head.

-Tom

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:14 pm

First question: i don't remember that the fleet at first was going to destroy Lusitania, but I might be wrong.

Second: If you keep reading, (spoilers) The captain of the fleet was going to blow up Lusitania anyway, and trying to bring them around would be a waste of time, which is why they were also evacuating the tpiggies and buggers. Anyway, I don't remember, but i think that the fleet was cut off from the ansibles by means of jane, and Congress wouldn't have been able to tell them to stop.

Third: People probably would want faster than light travel, but even if Ender had published a book on Jane, people wouldnt want/wouldnt belive it, cause no one knew about Ender, and they would assume the first speaker of the Dead would be, well, dead. And you might remember that even on Lusitania, who had already somewhat accepted the piggies, when the buggers were exposed to them, they succeded in burning the mother tree, and most definitely did not accept either sentient alien species. Do you think that the other worlds, who are NOT familiar with the piggies in the first place would accept the buggers?

And lastly, I believe it might have been possible that it was all done in 40 days, there was faster than light speed, remember.

I'm sorry if I just sounded a little out of it and confusing, but I didnt have much time to organize my thoughts
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”