Bean Couldn't Have Survived

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
nigel%rodolfo@hegemon.gov
Launchie
Launchie

Bean Couldn't Have Survived

Postby nigel%rodolfo@hegemon.gov » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Living for so long on the streets of Rotterdam, wouldn't Bean have gotten some disease, which he would have not been healthy enough to fight off?

Also, how would he have survived through winter, where he surely would've had at least gotten pneumonia and died from that if not anything else brought on by cold temperatures.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 pm

That's not how medicine works. There are plenty of children who survive in poverty conditions into adulthood. Especially when they gang up.

Also, pneumonia isn't brought on by cold temperatures. It's brought on my infection in the lungs. I had pneumonia in August in Texas...
-Kim

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:41 am

i thought his story was really far fetched. and no, i don't think he would have lived.

god i hate those books. why couldn't he have just kept him a small kid and not some mutant put on earth to play down ender's greatness?
Ubernaustrum

Froth
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Froth » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:10 pm

If you hate the books, why are you even here?

Tons of kids survive harsh winters, also many die. Same with Rotterdam. Him being a genetically altered human had nothing to do with it. And I thought that was a cool twist in the story. Him being not just a normal kid.
*Insert hilariously accurate quote about the way the world works and a tad sexist about woman, that 99.9% of the forum wont laugh at, but Ill rofl for hours at*

such is me and my humor.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:25 pm

i meant that i hate the bean books. i love the ender books
Ubernaustrum

Froth
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Froth » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:40 pm

I still dont understand the argument though. Perhaps we should bring statistics in?
*Insert hilariously accurate quote about the way the world works and a tad sexist about woman, that 99.9% of the forum wont laugh at, but Ill rofl for hours at*

such is me and my humor.

Launchie
Launchie

Postby nigel%rodolfo@hegemon.gov » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:40 pm

Also, pneumonia isn't brought on by cold temperatures. It's brought on my infection in the lungs.
Ah, sorry, I meant that the cold would have made him more susceptible to diseases, such as pneumonia.
I had pneumonia in August in Texas...
Wow, not something I expected. Must have sucked.

Launchie
Launchie

Postby nigel%rodolfo@hegemon.gov » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Tons of kids survive harsh winters, also many die.
Hm, it is possible he snuck into an apartment building and slept next to the boiler. That's what I would do even if I weren't a 4-yr old genius.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:45 am

The other thing that bothered me about Bean's story - the living in the toilet. Wasn't it mentioned at some point that Bean was actually brain damaged as a result of that, but it just didn't appear so because of how his brain developed?

I supposed Anton's Key and the growth there could help mitigate some symptoms, but as far as I know, it's not like kids born with Cerebral Palsy or something similar just grow out of it.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Froth
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Froth » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Its like a cut. New skin will grow over it. Most humans minds dont grow at the same pace as Beans, and eventually all our minds stop growing. But for Bean, his brain constantly grew and was able to make connections in different ways than a human mind would.

For instance, there's this lady who was once blind in one eye. Her brain made an alternate route through her brain, so now she can see out of it. I cant remember how well, but she can. The brain tries its best to adapt. If your brain grows as fast as Beans, Im sure it could make connections like that, and not only faster, but much more stronger.

Or the other option. He is brain damaged, but he is still so advanced beyond us that its not apparent.

such is me and my humor.

Joshvillen
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Joshvillen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:26 pm

One thing that I’ve been constantly thinking about. Do you think Bean lived longer due to his malnourishment? With the lack of food he was ingesting, wasn’t it stunting the rate of his growth? Which gave him a few more years than he wouldn’t have had if he ate on a constant schedule?

Froth
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Froth » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Interesting concept. That could be. Usually I would have said no because malnourishment usually just kills you faster, but malnourishment isnt what killed him, and had no contributing factor (as far as we know).

such is me and my humor.

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Something on the subject of medicine in Ender's Shadow, this is something I thought of a while ago. In Ender's Shadow, Ulysses is run over by a truck and has to spend sometime in a hospital. My question is, who pays for his medical bills?
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:57 pm

Silly American. Ever hear of free health care? :P
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 am

In Ender's Shadow, Ulysses is run over by a truck and has to spend sometime in a hospital.
I thought he was hit with bricks by Achilles and his "family."
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Person122
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Person122 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:06 pm

If I remember right, he was beaten up and then thrown into the streets.
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

Person122
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Person122 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Silly American. Ever hear of free health care? :P
Having heard a whole bunch of stuff on the news about people not being able to pay medical bill and not having insurance, it's hard to think otherwise.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:32 pm

Guy's lets not fight. Really? It's a story. A very good one. I'm pretty obsessed with them but it wouldn't be a good story of Bean died of pneumonia or hunger.

Oh, and why didn't you like thr shadow series? I likes those the best.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:24 am

This is set sometime in the future, so I'm going to infer that people are less supsceptible to disease and the like. Technology would be more advanced, and so would medicine. Plus, even though Earth is overcrowded, no one is confident enough that the numbers are big enough the buggers won't blow every last person up. Instead of letting disease reduce the population, they would probably want to preserve it in the rare chance that even if the buggers blow up the earth, not every one will die. I mean, soon after the Third Invasion, they've prepared a ship for colonization. Somewhere in the books, someone said humans should spread out into the world so that no aliens will ever destroy mankind completely.

So they will make better medicines, for sure. Maybe they release a kind of filtered air into the atmosphere, and it destroys airborne viruses. Maybe edible antibacteria chemicals is put into food to boost the immune system. Use your imagination a little.

Eugenics may also play a part. Nikolai was artificially inseminated, so they probably chose the best of the crop, and discarded the rest. And Bean is pretty much Nikolai's twin, right? He probably also have the best genes, like Nikolai, so he can survive, right?

((Truth: I love Bean too much for him to die of malnourishment/disease before he gets to do something cool.))

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”