violent actions in children

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
kowens
Launchie
Launchie

violent actions in children

Postby kowens » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Do you think that the fact that Ender was a child made his violent behavior seen as less than that? Did the fact that the author made it appear to readers that Ender was playing a game, not killing actual people, make it more okay in your mind? What are your thoughts on his violent actions? Were they justified only because he won in the end?

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:39 pm

I smell homework assignment.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:31 pm

I, also, kowens. Are you trying to get us to do your assignment for you? :wink: Answer my question before I answer yours.
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

kowens
Launchie
Launchie

Postby kowens » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:25 pm

hahaha, it's actually NOT for a homework assignment. I was just curious as to what people thought..

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Please explain in 2-4 pages, 12 point Times New Roman, and 1 inch margins on all sides.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:30 pm

you forgot duoble spacing, Syphon.

Anways, I think Ender was justified. That's my opinion, but I'm not going to write an essay about it. It's finals time and I've had it up to here with essays.
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

not_vichyssoise
Launchie
Launchie

Postby not_vichyssoise » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Ahhh, the time-old question: Does the end justify the means?

Ender was just a kid, but he was a smart kid. Smarter than most adults in fact. He knew what he was doing. When he killed the two boys, Stilson and Bonzo, I think he really knew what he was doing.

Don't get me wrong, Ender is still a good person (if any human could be called good). Everyone makes mistakes, even Ender, just most of our mistakes don't lead to death of others.
“I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake.”
-Rene Descartes

lflynn137
Launchie
Launchie

Postby lflynn137 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:08 am

I think the fact that Ender is a child makes his actions even more appalling and disturbing. The children were used and trained to kill but because it was disguised as a game it seemed somehow acceptable. The game allowed everyone to feel detached from what was actually being done. I can’t help but think that video games today are creating a similar environment. Video game companies strive to make their games more realistic: bloodier, gorier, and more violent. Each new one must go above and beyond what the last one did because we are desensitized to it all. This, in my opinion, does and will continue to have very serious consequences for our youth. It is robbing children of their childhood innocence much like the children in Ender’s game are robbed of their childhood.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Oh, but when have children ever really been innocent even in their childhood. I know plenty kids, if not all the people i know, that are not innocent at all. I don't think anyone can truthfully call me innocent.

I agree with the video games. I personnally don't play those types of games. Anyway, my mom and dad wouldn't let me.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”