Authorized Ender Companion

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Authorized Ender Companion

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:35 pm

Pre-order today.

If you're wondering what this is, it's basically an encyclopedia of the Enderverse. OSC talks about it a bit in the afterword of "Ender in Exile".
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Are you in the acknowledgments?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:32 pm

Haha, yeah. Are you listed in the acknoledgements?

Anyways, an Ender dictionary? I find myself in a strange mix of--what?--happiness and disgust? Oh, well. I'm glad I'll be able to have a reference more reliable than wiki now.
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:37 pm

Not this time. :P
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Not this time. :P
You never know. Didn't you find out about being in EiE after it was published?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:54 pm

Sort of. I suppose I could have inferred that I'd be in there given the circumstances, but this time I really haven't done anything.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:40 am

It shure took long enough to get it available, i've been looking ever since EIE. 8)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:17 pm

So it finally comes out next month. I was only somewhat interested before, but now I'm really looking forward perusing over 400 pages of character, technology, and political info about the Enderverse. I've preordered my copy. :)
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:28 pm

I've been looking forward to reading that since I first heard it was coming out! oh, I'm so excited... I've always been the type of person who when reads a book I like wants to learn more and more about it... This book is like a gift from the heavens!
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:02 pm

So it finally comes out next month. I was only somewhat interested before, but now I'm really looking forward perusing over 400 pages of character, technology, and political info about the Enderverse. I've preordered my copy. :)
That sounds FANTASTIC.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:17 pm

Hopefully, one of my graphics will adorn the back cover...now *I'm* REALLY looking forward to it! Hopefully (I haven't seen any galleys), a bunch of my tech description and artwork has made it inside!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:38 pm

I assume the author/publisher contacted you while putting it together, Steve?

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:56 am

It was all arranged and agreed upon--it's all good. I just understand that I do NOT have final editorial say...
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:24 pm

I worked on the Noodle's wiki for a while until I got bored (I was really the only one contributing for a year or so), and frankly, I think my writing kinda sucked. I'd be nice to see some well written (hopefully) and comprehensive Enderverse info.
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:22 pm

"Noodle" ???

What is this "noodle"??
--Boothby

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:36 pm

A member from pweb, don't think he's regularily active.
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:04 pm

Ain't It Cool News reviews the Ender Companion

Turns out that in addition to the vast amounts of in-universe info, the Companion outlines the ongoing efforts to bring EG to the big screen and gives details on all of the canned screenplays written over the last decade or so.
The Technology of Ender's Game section is pretty nifty, publishing the first (That is, the first that I'm aware of...) 3D render and blueprints of the Battle School.
Do I sense your hand in this, Steve? :wink:
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:33 pm

Thanks for the link. NOW I'm excited about it.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:48 pm

Exactly what Nomi said.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Ain't It Cool News reviews the Ender Companion

Turns out that in addition to the vast amounts of in-universe info, the Companion outlines the ongoing efforts to bring EG to the big screen and gives details on all of the canned screenplays written over the last decade or so.
The Technology of Ender's Game section is pretty nifty, publishing the first (That is, the first that I'm aware of...) 3D render and blueprints of the Battle School.
Do I sense your hand in this, Steve? :wink:
OMFG! I'm going to have to pay Harry Knowles much, much more!
--Boothby

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:02 pm

You've really been holding out on us, Steve...
School Library Journal

Adult/High School—Written with the support and supervision of Orson Scott Card, this volume contains an encyclopedia as well as several articles related to the "Enderverse" series. Arranged alphabetically, the encyclopedic portion of the book provides quick references to the events, characters, locations, and technology found within Card's popular series. Entries range from a single sentence to several pages. Ender's own entry spans 24 pages. A time line as well as Ender's family tree are appended, followed by a section by Aaron Johnston discussing the development of the Ender's Game screenplay, which provides a unique opportunity to see the process of turning a novel into a movie. An essay by Stephen Sywak speculates on how the technology used in Ender's world might be possible. Finally there is a section called "Friends of Ender," which contains personal reactions to Ender's Game from people in all walks of life. A must-have for any fan of the "Enderverse."—Kelliann Bogan, Colby-Sawyer College, New London, NH
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 pm

neo,

I've been dropping hints as fast as I could!

I wasn't sure how much I could talk about it...and I didn't want to sound TOO egotistical!

Thanks for the quote from the review!
--Boothby

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:03 pm

I understand. I look forward to reading it!
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm so pissed at amazon.ca. What was the point of pre-ordering the book over a month ago if when the release date finally comes they have none in stock and it's listed as "usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks"? It doesn't seem to be in any stores either. Apparently someone forgot to send any copies north of the border. :x
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Awww...I'd say sorry but I have something that I think is a little more appropriate for you:

For some reason your misfortune amuses me. : )

;)

(No, really, I'm sorry.)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Well played. I guess I deserved that :lol:
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:38 pm

Well, I just got my copy today (thank you, Orson Scott Card!) and I am quite excited!

Haven't had a chance to read through it, but this is the first time I've ever been published! Well, I know it's not like it's MY book...I have a chapter.

A CHAPTER!

Sorry, but this is cool.

Thank you Scott, thank you Kristine, thank you Jake, thank you Kathleen, and thank you to all the people who allowed me to contribute to this book!

Now, the rest of you--go out and buy it! And go to Barnes and Noble . com and amazon.com and review it! Say nice things!

(And thanks to Darian Robbins for his great pen and ink illustration of the Battle School. It appears in the Tech chapter, but I still have to make sure it's attributed!)
--Boothby

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:44 pm

My copy shipped today so I should have it on Monday. If we ever meet in person I'm going to have to insist that you sign it. :D
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:10 am

It's a deal!

I even found the Journal review showing up on Barnes and Noble!

My dad, the former librarian, is so proud!
--Boothby

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:17 pm

Just got my copy. I read your section first, Steve. It's amazing! I don't know what else to say since much of the physics went over my head. The only other place I've ever seen such technical depth based on fictional technology is in the (unfortunately out of print) Dune Encyclopdia published in the 80s.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks, Neo!

I'm making such a pest of myself with my IRL friends...showing the book off all over the place...
--Boothby

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:11 pm

School Library Journal

Adult/High School—Written with the support and supervision of Orson Scott Card, this volume contains an encyclopedia as well as several articles related to the "Enderverse" series. Arranged alphabetically, the encyclopedic portion of the book provides quick references to the events, characters, locations, and technology found within Card's popular series. Entries range from a single sentence to several pages. Ender's own entry spans 24 pages. A time line as well as Ender's family tree are appended, followed by a section by Aaron Johnston discussing the development of the Ender's Game screenplay, which provides a unique opportunity to see the process of turning a novel into a movie. An essay by Stephen Sywak speculates on how the technology used in Ender's world might be possible. Finally there is a section called "Friends of Ender," which contains personal reactions to Ender's Game from people in all walks of life. A must-have for any fan of the "Enderverse."—Kelliann Bogan, Colby-Sawyer College, New London, NH
So is the name of the book Adult/High School?
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:28 pm

No, silly!

It's (still) considered a book appropriate for Adults and High School students!

I guess that infants could teethe on it, if nothing else were available, but it seems like a waste.
--Boothby

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:40 am

I asked for the Companion for Christmas so I should have it soon... :)
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:08 pm

I totally forgot about it... I read the review at AICN and was really excited about it, then it slipped my mind. If I don't get it for the holidays, then I'll have to go out and get it myself.

I can't wait to read your essay Steve! I remember seeing your old animatics and renderings and being blown away. Glad to see you still got it! :)

Salaam

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”