Contradictions in OSC Books (Talk About Any & All of The

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Achilles de Flandres
Launchie
Launchie

Contradictions in OSC Books (Talk About Any & All of The

Postby Achilles de Flandres » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Reading through SfTD at this very moment. I came across something that might be something as simple as a typo, but I thought I would make mention of it anyway. On page 141 of Speaker (TOR, Author's Preferred Ed., 1994 Revised) paragraph 4 is a flashback going back to the day when Miro & Ouanda found Libo's body after it had been vivisected by the piggies.
Then in paragraph 5, it references Libo treking through the forest on a "non-path" so that the Lusitanians did not make any distinct paths that would point the piggies back to their colony.
I figured of course because of the context of the previous paragraph that this was still part of the flashback. After reading further, in paragraph 1 of page 142, it then shifts into Miro meeting Ouanda where they were working on a project to churn the cream of Cabra milk.
This would seem to me, if you follow the logic of the text that Libo mysteriously morphed into Miro. You might say that it was part of a flashback of Libo going to meet Miro AND Ouanda in the woods, but the entire scene played out after it mentions Libo getting to the "moss covered stones" is entirely Miro & Ouanda only.
Any thought on this?
AH-SHEEL

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:28 pm

I wouldn't call it a "contradiction." It's a mistake, sure, but appears to be nothing more than a typo.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Yes, a contradiction would be something like if Card had forgotten that Mazer Rakham was said to have piloted Ender's colony ship, and thus had him appear on Earth in Shadow of the Giant without the explanation of that being a lie. That would have been a big contradiction.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Ender_in_Iowa
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ender_in_Iowa » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Yes, a contradiction would be something like if Card had forgotten that Mazer Rakham was said to have piloted Ender's colony ship, and thus had him appear on Earth in Shadow of the Giant without the explanation of that being a lie. That would have been a big contradiction.
Good thing Rakham didn't pilot the ship....

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:33 pm

Indeed.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:28 am

We can't all be acknowledged in the back of every OSC book published in the last five years, Jason.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:05 am

I found, not a contradiction, but a typo that I thought was pretty funny. It's in CotM where Jane is dying.
The door to the room swung open. Plikt stood in the doorway. "I room," she said. "What's happening?"
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:02 pm

We can't all be acknowledged in the back of every OSC book published in the last five years, Jason.
Why'd you have to go and bring that up? I hate to brag. :oops:
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:14 pm

of course, there is that other forum which discusses the whole "everybody had learned the wrong lesson from Bonso's misuse of Ender" when it was actually ROSEN's misuse, but ,again, that is another post
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:35 pm

In Hegemon, the spelling of Brazil was "Brasil" in the beginning during that stretch of time which included Bean and Carlotta sucking on oranges. Then later, the spelling changed to "Brazil". What is this I don't even?

And then there's the discrepancy between ending of Giant and EiE. And somec -- I mean stasis.

I was extremely saddened by the disappearance of Nikolai after Giant. It's not a contradiction... but still ;-;

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”