Song reference to Ender's Game?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Rhyainn
Launchie
Launchie

Song reference to Ender's Game?

Postby Rhyainn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:40 am

Okay, I'm new to the site, so let me know if I do anything wrong.

This song--All These Things That I've Done, by The Killers--seems to have so many meanings that pertain to Ender that I find it strange to think the book didn't inspire the song in some way. I noticed it the first time I heard the song, but none of my friends had read Ender at that time, so I ranted at them about how Ender-ish it was. They ignored me, and I thought that maybe I was just crazy. But, my best bud and I just got done reading Ender's Game; she listened to the song and agreed with me.

What do you guys think? (We figured Ender fans would be the best people to ask, obviously)

Here's a link to the song (and though I didn't find the music video to be anything but a little cute and distracting, here it is, too If you find any meaning in that, let me know.)

And the lyrics--
When there's nowhere else to run
Is there room for one more son
One more son
If you can hold on
If you can hold on, hold on
I wanna stand up, I wanna let go
You know, you know - no you don't, you don't
I wanna shine on in the hearts of men
I want a meaning from the back of my broken hand

Another head aches, another heart breaks
I am so much older than I can take
And my affection, well it comes and goes
I need direction to perfection, no no no no

Help me out
Yeah, you know you got to help me out
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the blackburner
You know you got to help me out

And when there's nowhere else to run
Is there room for one more son
These changes ain't changing me
The cold-hearted boy I used to be

You're gonna bring yourself down
Yeah, you're gonna bring yourself down

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

Over and out, last call for sin
While everyone's lost, the battle is won
With all these things that I've done
All these things that I've done
If you can hold on
If you can hold on

I suggest that you listen to the song while reading the lyrics--it makes things easier to understand.

Comments? Thanks so much for your time!

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:22 am

There are a few oblique metaphorical references to some themes in EG, but nothing that would indicate the whole song is written around the book or that it inspired it in any way. If you are looking for these references, they will seem to you to be more intricately tied to the book than you think. If, however, you are just listening to the song for entertainment, even if you have read EG, there would be little reason to assume that any of the lyrics are Ender-based. even the bridge where Brandon Flowers sings 'I Got Soul, But I'm Not A Soldier' is not indicative of EG because Ender knew he was a soldier, through and through, that's what they bred him for.

Just my take, not definitive, but I'm pretty sure the Killers had no desire to write a song based on EG.

Rhyainn
Launchie
Launchie

Okay...

Postby Rhyainn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:15 pm

Alright, so maybe not inspired, then. But can you see the similarities? I think that the "I got soul but I'm not a soldier" bit refers to Ender's refusal(s) to fight--including his entire adult life. Yes, he was a soldier--but no, he was not one his whole life. In fact, as far as I can remember (and I'll admit, I've only read Speaker, Xeno, and Children once each, so correct me if I'm wrong) he always ALWAYS tries--and succeeds--to end conflicts without fighting. Thus, not a soldier.

I thought that bits even seemed to refer to Bean and his story, too. Comments?

Thanks for responding! <3

RoyalMother
Soldier
Soldier

Postby RoyalMother » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:01 am

It seems to me that it is simply a war/soldier song
"I only came into existence a short while ago"

Bryan Christopher Sawyer
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Bryan Christopher Sawyer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:06 pm

I've always like that song and never knew who sings it. Guess I'm gettin old! Yeah, I'm sure that song wasn't inspired by the Ender's Game. But it certainly does call to mind some of the themes in ender's game

Hey. Puff the Magic Dragon is really about marijuana.

But, wouldn't it be cool if that was the song they played at the end of the Ender's Game movie, right as they fade out and the credits begin to roll, we see ender going off into space, looking for a place to take the last hive queen, then you hear the chorus, "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier" coming in as you see young Andrew Wiggin giving up on being a soldier and trying to embrace something that will cleanse his soul of the guilt he feels about wiping out the species.

Cool idea, huh?

Rhyainn
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Rhyainn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:02 am

That is a cool idea! Y'know, I think that Ender's Game would make a really good movie. (Depending on who did it, obviously. Wasn't there one in production a while back? Didn't OSC kill it? I mean, not like I'm upset or anything--it is his story, but I think a movie would be pretty cool. And I usually hate movies based off books.)

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:52 am

That is a cool idea! Y'know, I think that Ender's Game would make a really good movie. (Depending on who did it, obviously. Wasn't there one in production a while back? Didn't OSC kill it? I mean, not like I'm upset or anything--it is his story, but I think a movie would be pretty cool. And I usually hate movies based off books.)
Movie Update - February 25, 2009

I have finished the latest (and best) revision of my Ender's Game screenplay, which I have turned in to Odd Lot Entertainment as the first step in their option of the film. We have assembled a team of producers who understand the story and I believe we have our best chance yet of getting a good movie made. — Orson Scott Card
not dead yet.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Bryan Christopher Sawyer
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Bryan Christopher Sawyer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:29 pm

Yeah, the plan is to base the movie off of both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, in terms of perspective.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Card did not kill the movie. In the first place, he had Wolfgang Petersen lined up to direct. that didn't work as Petersen had other projects and not enough time to dedicate to EG. Card is the creative consultant for whatever movie ends up being made. This book is basically his crowning achievement and if he wants it to be exactly like the book, who is the director to say otherwise. The only reason it seems like he is killing the idea of a movie is because he wants to remain true to the way he wrote it, not to the way someone else visualizes it.

Rhyainn
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Rhyainn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:23 pm

I think it's cool that he's finished a screenplay that he's happy with, though. Of course it's all up to him, I wouldn't like to see a butchery like some other movies made from books. I'm happy it's back on, though, thanks elfprince13. I hope Card is super picky (as I'm sure he will be) with the movie. I think using both books will really help the movie, too, but we'll see, right? Hopefully.

Me Vexat Pede
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Me Vexat Pede » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:22 am

Wow! I totally see where you get that connection! You've got to admit that some of The Killers' songs are so weird and vague that they can be interpreted as nearly anything... BUT some of those lines, epecially "Is there room for one more son," seem to perfect for it to be a coincidence.

Could it be?

I remember that the first time I heard The Killers' "Read My Mind," I had just finished reading Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and (i think) Shadow of the Hegemon. I couldn't stop noticing "references" to the books! Ha ha i could have been just because the Enderverse was ALL i could think about... (But i fell in love with that song right away.)

Yeah, I'm sure that song wasn't inspired by the Ender's Game.
OK, there's no way to prove that the song has anything to do with the book, but you can't be sure that it doesn't :)

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm listening to it right now. yeah, there are some similarities:)
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Really cool

Is there room for one more son?

I got a soul, but im not a soldier.

Another head aches, another heart breaks, I am so much older than I can take

I need direction to perfection

Help me out

While everyone's lost, the battle is won

... wow. Very Ender-like. I would not be suprised in the least if it was inspired, but there is obviously no guarantee (unless someone asked the killers themselves)
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”