Wanted: New book from OSC

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Jimi Storie
Launchie
Launchie

Wanted: New book from OSC

Postby Jimi Storie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:17 am

What I would like OSC to write is a book entitled
"Writings Of The Speaker For The Dead". This would include 1. The Hive Queen, 2. The Hedgaman 3. The Life Of Human, 4, Jane.

While speaking of books, has anyone read "Ender In Exile" ?
Jimi
We are all tools in somebodies kit !!!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:15 am

never gonna be written, well that at least used to be the answer

and just read the thread titles on this page, there's an Ender in Exile thread.

And don't use all-caps in your post title.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:33 am

As I and others have said before, those books just can't be written. They're works that are so powerful that they changed the way that humanity thinks about life in the universe. I don't think that Card could actually create works of that magnitude anymore than he could build a working ansible. That's not to say that I don't think he's an excellent writer, but it's just not really possible. They only work if they're left to the reader's imagination.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

antronics
Launchie
Launchie

Postby antronics » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:48 pm

..I disagree with that answer. While hivequeen, hedgemon, human, and jane would, in my opinion, be the hardest of the Ender books to write, I am 100% confident that with enough time, OSC could no doubt write them the way thatthey are percieved in the current Ender books. For example, read the dialogs between the hivequeen and ender, and hivequeen and the piggies. And besides, all of the readers know mostly what is in the hivequeen, and the others, so all it would take is some science fiction writing mastery work to turn it into the kind of work that we want to read.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:05 pm

So you believe that OSC has the ability to create a world changing book, but has decided against it because... he doesn't like money? We know that definitely isn't true.

In case anyone hasn't gotten the point, I disapprove of OSC recently.

antronics
Launchie
Launchie

Postby antronics » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:01 pm

..I believe that OSC has the ability to create a book that, according to Enderverse history, changed the fictional world, yes. Why, in my opinion, hasn't OSC wrote these books yet? Maybe he doesn't want to ruin the mystic that follow just the mention of these books. Maybe he is planing on it, but wants to explore the other aspects of the Enderverse. Maybe he has even wrote a few rough drafts of each. And as to you disapproving of OSC lately, I think you've come to the wrong place to find other people that share your opinion.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:26 pm

It changed a fictional world that is based on the real world with real people and...

Actually, never mind, just keep rereading neo-dragon's post until you agree with him. Then you will know you are no longer wrong.

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Well JK Rowling wrote "Quidditch through the Ages", which was a book mentioned in Harry Potter just like "The Hive Queen" was in Ender. But The writings of the Speaker for the Dead would be on a whole other level compared to QttA. QttA was merely mean as a little thing to expand the universe, whereas QttA would have to be some sort of thing to have a permanent effect on life, the universe and everything. Card would have to go through a major emotional struggle like wiping out an entire alien species to write something like this. Though Card could write a book a bunch of thoughts on the Buggers and write a biography about Peter Wiggin, who says OSC's Hive Queen has to be the same on as Ender Wiggin's?

Also, I don't really remember whether or not the Ender books really describe what the Hive Queen and the Hegemon were about save the obvious though they do have excerpts in later books I think. Incidentally I was actually thinking about Card writing The Hegemon and Hive Queen the other day.
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

antronics
Launchie
Launchie

Postby antronics » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:15 am

..I don't know why everyone thinks it would be so hard for OSC to write these books. I believe he already has a portion of these books written in the essence of the current Enderverse novels.

The Hivequeen - A book detailing the life and times of these sentient beings. As hinted in Ender in Exile, a chapter could be devoted to the genocide that the Hivequeens evolved from. Also it would Describe their wishes, their desires, their knowledge, and their connection to the philotic web. In addition to some of their adventures up to the point of the close to xenocide. Just a Speaking. I believe OSC can do this.

All of the four books are well within OSC prowess.

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:30 pm

Technically speaking, any literate person could write those books. Even I could: One day, there was a bunch of aliens and then some mean person called Ender blew them out of the universe.
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

randomicicle
Launchie
Launchie

Postby randomicicle » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:39 pm

As much as I'd love to read those books, I wouldn't want to read them. After all, we've got probably more than 50% of the stories they should tell from all the other books. The Hive Queen, well, that'll be something ike writing a Silmarillion with all the legends and myths that weren't included or are narrated on the extra books. That is, a huge book with an incredibly long story inside. But Tolkien could do it and I haven't heard of him having superpowers or anything.

I think if The Hegemon is ever written, Id buy it but would be unable to read it. As much as I love Peter as a character, I'd be too scared to actually read what was supposed to be written by Ender. It could well be incredibly great or destroy my idealization of him as a Speaker. Which has nothing to do with OSCs ability to read, since every great writer has one or two books that don't quite reach the standard
- 'I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one.'

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Technically speaking, any literate person could write those books. Even I could: One day, there was a bunch of aliens and then some mean person called Ender blew them out of the universe.
Huh. Wow.

That... That's amazing. How did you do that? I thought a short single sentence summary of a story like that couldn't be written by mere ordinary mortals, but you've proved me wrong.

Could you do that with other books? Let me try it: First Hamlet was sad, then everyone dies. HOLY MOTHER f****** s***!!!!! I'M f****** SHAKESPEARE DUDE. WAIT, I GOTTA TRY THIS AGAIN: One day, a hobbit called Bilbo got a ring, which was thrown into a volcano some years later by a hobbit called Frodo. f*** YEA f*** YEA f*** YEA! I JUST ADDED THE FANTASY GENRE TO MY REPETOIRE OH YEA!

This is incredible, we've found a way to capture all the depth and meaning of great literary works and condense them into single sentences.

Person122, we are going to be RICH!

Jimi Storie
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jimi Storie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:06 am

You folks did not quite get what I was wishing for. Not 4 books but one with 4 parts. After all, when the books are mention(the first 3 anyway), they are said to be short and each be read at one sitting.
We are all tools in somebodies kit !!!

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:49 pm

I think people are putting Hegemon, Hive-Queen, Human, Jane onto too high a pedestal. Their so-called magic wasn't due to some amazing literary prowess on Ender's part. It was due to them simply providing an accurate, believable and new perspective on events.

For example, I take the NYC subway every day. I usually spare no thought for the motormen and conductors who operate the trains I use. Until I read A day in the life of a Transit Employee. That isn't some Great Shakespearean work. But nonetheless it changed my outlook on what conductors and motormen go through every day. The same way Ender's books changed humanity's outlook on the Formics.

Ultimately, Ender's books are simply Speakings put to paper, and OSC has already written a Speaking. There's no reason why he couldn't write four more. It's his universe, after all. We all just imagine in it.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:30 am

I think people are putting Hegemon, Hive-Queen, Human, Jane onto too high a pedestal. Their so-called magic wasn't due to some amazing literary prowess on Ender's part. It was due to them simply providing an accurate, believable and new perspective on events.
This is important, I think, and is an extension of the Joseph Smith trope that works it's way into almost all of Card's works. Ender, is in a way, a latter prophet, who reinterprets or uncovers new truths that fundamentally change culture after him (it will be interesting to see if in Master Alvin, Alvin finds or reinterprets or writes some newly profound work that changes america and leads to wholesale acceptance and conversion of the country. A declaration of knackery, if you will, and that's why he was killed). So Ender's books have a very important aspect to them as 'scripture' to the culture they exist in. it's not something that can be written as is for us without seeming rather reaching at best and farcical and embarassing at worst. The most Card should do is the Dune esque intros he has in several of his books--the appearance of profundity in a epigraph is a realistic achievement, actual profundity is not.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”