Forums of the future in Ender’s Game

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
ScottUMD
Launchie
Launchie

Forums of the future in Ender’s Game

Postby ScottUMD » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:32 pm

I had really enjoyed reading “Ender’s Game,” it was the kind of story from the future that had gotten me into Science Fiction in the first place. But while I enjoyed reading about Ender’s time at Battle and Command school, I also thought it was interesting the way Valentine and Peter used the Internet to influence world powers.

I love forums like this because you usually get intelligent discussions going, but on more mainstreamed forums, it’s tough to sort the good posts from the childish ones that were either written by kids or unintelligent adults. So, it was interesting to see a different kind of system in “Ender’s Game” where only those is high positions or those with enough clout who were invited could participate in certain forums. It’s also funny to think that the leaders of the world would have discussions over the Internet—like a chartroom that everyone could watch.

What do you think? Do you see major forums going to a more structured system as in Ender’s Game, or would it just be another way of taking people’s freedom of speech away? And furthermore, should posters at such a forum be allowed to keep their identities a secret as Valentine and Peter did?

After all, in order to post this message, I had to register and affirm that I am over 13 years old. Who’s to say that I didn’t lie and I’m actually a persistent 11 year old looking for answers on my homework? Don’t worry though; I have no plans for world domination :D

HaricotVert
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HaricotVert » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:34 am

Im not sure if im 100% right on this, so correct me.

Actual politicians do not use internet forums because they interact in-person with other decision makers in the White House, Capital building or Mayors office. They have no need to discuss things over the internet.

In EG the world government is more complex than it is now. There's a Hegemony and the Warsaw Pact and other treaties explained in the Beanverse. I believe that in order to keep up with worldwide politics in that type of future, the politicians would need web based forums to discuss matters with each other between countries.

ScottUMD
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ScottUMD » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:43 am

You are absolutely right, as of right now, most politicians do meet face to face. I just thought it would be interesting if world leaders held, like the G8 summit over the Internet where everyone could watch the debate and those with enough pull might even participate in the discussion or pose a question. I was wondering if you saw us slowly heading towards that type of medium like in EG. I mean they already use YouTube of formulate questions for Presidential debates, would such public Internet discussions that far off?

HaricotVert
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HaricotVert » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:39 pm

The way current internet forums are run, it probably wont happen too soon.

I would imagine a large, very controlled forum. All the politicians would use their names and not an alias. Possibly a 3-dimention interface or video chatting. Of course any registered voter could watch, but not interact unless their question was allowed to be used in the forum.

Untill world leaders have a system to that effect I dont think they will have a use to discuss matters in a web based forum. Plus... the G8 most likey doesnt want people to know ALL of the decisions they are making.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”