Forums of the future in Ender’s Game.

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
ScottUMD
Launchie
Launchie

Forums of the future in Ender’s Game.

Postby ScottUMD » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:27 pm

I had really enjoyed reading “Ender’s Game,” it was the kind of story from the future that had gotten me into Science Fiction in the first place. But while I enjoyed reading about Ender’s time at Battle and Command school, I also thought it was interesting the way Valentine and Peter used the Internet to influence world powers.

I love forums like this because you usually get intelligent discussions going, but on more mainstreamed forums, it’s tough to sort the good posts from the childish ones that were either written by kids or unintelligent adults. So, it was interesting to see a different kind of system in “Ender’s Game” where only those is high positions or those with enough clout who were invited could participate in certain forums. It’s also funny to think that the leaders of the world would have discussions over the Internet—like a chartroom that everyone could watch.

What do you think? Do you see major forums going to a more structured system as in Ender’s Game, or would it just be another way of taking people’s freedom of speech away? And furthermore, should posters at such a forum be allowed to keep their identities a secret as Valentine and Peter did?

After all, in order to post this message, I had to register and affirm that I am over 13 years old. Who’s to say that I didn’t lie and I’m actually a persistent 11 year old looking for answers on my homework? Don’t worry though; I have no plans for world domination :D

ScottUMD
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ScottUMD » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:32 am

Whoops, sorry for the double post. I wonder where this one came from. It wasn't there yesterday...

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:38 am

if anything the "forums" in Ender's Game make me think more of a mainstreamed USENET rather than a web forum
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”