Should Ender's books start a religion?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
drexl014
Launchie
Launchie

Should Ender's books start a religion?

Postby drexl014 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Okay well at first i wasn't sure if i would like this book because it is kind of like a big video game, and i am not into video games at all but as it turns out this has been my favorite sci fi book so far.
My question to all of you out there is: What do you think about Ender's novels being the basis of a religion? Do you think it is right that a religion is started on the basis of the murder of an entire race?
Joe Drex

HaricotVert
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HaricotVert » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:32 am

The religion was not started in the murder of a race. It was started in the understanding of a race. The Hive Queen was written so that the human race could understand the Formics because Ender found that we misinterpreted their intentions. We destroyed them without knowing exactly why they were fighting us, and Ender knew that once he found the new hive queen and began writing about their history and civilization.

I do agree that the xenocide is what led to the writing of The Hive Queen, but it was not the basis for the religion. He wrote the book to give humans an understanding of the Formics because we did not know them at all. People read into his writing and found a more pure way of speaking about someone after their death. They liked it better to speak the truth of a persons life rather than the half truths that religions gave at funerals.

And with that... the Speakers for the Dead were born with the comprehension of the Formics.

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:41 pm

I think that there wouldn't be much in the Ender books to base a religion off of. According to Wikipedia, a religion is "A of way of life based on tenets (or a belief system) about the ultimate power". Although I don't really know for certain what the "ultimate power" is, there seems to be nothing of the sort in the Ender book; not much to be a religion. Although the Ender books are partially about morals and people doing deeds, I'm not able to see a religion being concived of out of the stories.
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

Tcashon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tcashon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Why not? If the human race can make religions based on six-armed women and fat men as well as aliens, then why not off stories as well?

It really is not all that far of a stretch of the imagination to think that it could turn into a religion. All you need is enough charismatic and influential people to hop on board *cough*, Scientology, *cough*
Yeah I got a response............er..WHAT?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:12 pm

Science Fiction authors start all the best religions.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:17 am

Especially based on bets...
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

HaricotVert
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HaricotVert » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Tcashon is right, anybody can make a religion legitiment as long as it is something people can believe in.

Look at human history... we used to worship Cats, land, people, celestial bodies, one God, multiple Gods and no Gods. It's all in how much a group of people believe. Some nutjob convinced people that if they drank the poison and died while a comet was passing by Earth that they would be taken to the comet and transported to Heaven or some crazy stuff like that.

spootytwk
Launchie
Launchie

Ender as a god?

Postby spootytwk » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:25 pm

OSC does pose some very thought provoking theological questions as do many SF writers. For instance, what is sentience? Just because we can't communicate effectively with something does it mean it's not self aware. In the case of the Formics, they were obviously self aware, or at least the queen was. The Pequininos were self aware as well but what about the descolada? Then, since I am a Christian, I ask myself does sentience equal a soul? The questions can go on and on if you apply the central beliefs of other major religions (ie: reincarnation).

I think if a person could solidify in their mind the answers (or what they feel are the answers) to questions like these, could convince others to believe the same things, and could come up with a solid structure for a religion you could end up with a Cult of Ender. Considering all of the crazy cults that have cropped up over the centuries, like "the comet's gonna take us home!" I think it could happen. Would it be right? I don't think so. But it could happen.

As for me I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid!
"When religion & politics travel in the same cart, the riders believe nothing can stand in their way. Their movement become headlong - faster & faster. They put aside all thought of obstacles & forget that a precipice does not show itself to the man in a blind rush until it's too late." - Bene Gesserit Proverb-

Tcashon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tcashon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:51 pm

What about the lime-aid?

Welcome!
Yeah I got a response............er..WHAT?

neggiw redne
Launchie
Launchie

Postby neggiw redne » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:39 am

I think that there wouldn't be much in the Ender books to base a religion off of. According to Wikipedia, a religion is "A of way of life based on tenets (or a belief system) about the ultimate power". Although I don't really know for certain what the "ultimate power" is, there seems to be nothing of the sort in the Ender book; not much to be a religion. Although the Ender books are partially about morals and people doing deeds, I'm not able to see a religion being concived of out of the stories.
i have two problems with this:

A) wikipedia is the worst resouce i've ever scene.

and B) if you read the entire series it is blatently obvious what the "ultimate power" is, it's any aiua that can get into the world of "out". if the idea about the whole thing by OSC is correct than anyone could make an entire universe and be god.
person 1: "goodbye cruel world!"

person 2: "no, don't kill yourself!"

person 1: "i won't, it's the world that i'll kill"

person 2" "NO! YOU CAN'T!"

person 1: "correction, i couldn't. but you failed to destroy the little doctor"

theevilpplz
Launchie
Launchie

Postby theevilpplz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:49 pm

Look at human history... we used to worship Cats, land, people, celestial bodies, one God, multiple Gods and no Gods. It's all in how much a group of people believe. Some nutjob convinced people that if they drank the poison and died while a comet was passing by Earth that they would be taken to the comet and transported to Heaven or some crazy stuff like that.
Some of the more awesome people believe in Flying Spaghetti Monsters.
All your gnomes are belong to us

ThatOneGirl
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ThatOneGirl » Mon May 04, 2009 2:26 am

I always give props to OSC as a rather clever mormon, seeing how he subtly worked quite a bit of mormon-centric ideology into the Speaker series...so if you don't start your own (lol too much work) might as well look up his source material and give that religion a try.

...Arson
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ...Arson » Fri May 08, 2009 10:44 am

I hope this doesn't evolve into independent islands and free koolaid for all... Either way, OSC puts alot of religious idea's into the books anyways so as far as it sparking a full on religion itself: probably not. I'm sure in the next decade or two we'll see a few people having their deaths 'spoken' rather than the traditional funerals we see now.

Other than that, I doubt it.
"He looked a long time."

Purity Control
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Purity Control » Tue May 19, 2009 3:48 pm

If Star Wars nerds made a "Jedi" religion, why can't we?
For now all my concentration is focused on inertial control and navigation. Targeting isn't even a consideration - I will be engaging my enemy at arm's length.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Tue May 19, 2009 4:43 pm

So true, PC. But then I would be part of so many religions.... or would that be sacreligious?

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:25 pm

I guess it would be a bit sacreligious... Then again, aren't we all a bit at some point?
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:53 pm

I do believe the original point was whether or not the books that Ender himself wrote(i.e. the Hive Queen and the Hegemon) could become a basis for the religion that develops in the Speaker series, NOT whether the series could become a basis for actual religion

On that point, though... Any religion which is not truth (I will not specify; I do not want to start a religious debate) is damnable. If some idiot wants to start a religion based on a science fiction series... well ok, I don't really care.
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ptr.arkanian » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:33 am

i believe these books are real life, or will someday be real life
in this way i believe speakers, as created in the enderverse series, should exist in the real world. but this is not necessarily a religon.
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”