Ender in Exile: in stores/libraries now - Spoilers!

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:36 pm

Hmm, I think the last IGMS I bought was the one that had Ollie's story. I guess I've missed a couple Ender stories...
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:33 pm

There are currently 9 IGMS issues out. The 9th issue doesn't have an Enderverse story though. It just says coming soon.
"Killing Buggers was not homicide."
"No, I guess it was insecticide."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:40 pm

Why provide a cheap Ender fix when a hardcover novel is about to hit the shelves? :wink:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:43 pm

I want as much as I can get! :D

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:26 pm

What exactly is this. It's an ad that had run on the Hatrack River saying the release date of EiE was November 1st, even though the date is actually November 11 and today is the 1st of Nov.
Image.
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Um, the ad says November 11th. You're not crazy though. I think there was an ad that said the 1st, but it was obviously a mistake.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm wondering if some places did get it on 11/1 because the two different library systems that I belong to both have many libraries that have ordered it, but a few of the individual libraries changed it from "on order" to "in processing" yesterday.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm sure that some stores/libraries have it on their shelves already. Nov 11 is the official release date, but I know some retailers just put things out as soon as they receive them. Also, some will just have it listed as a November release without knowing the specific date, so they'll put it out because it's November.

In other words, if you're lucky you can probably find a copy right now, especially if you ask a sales person to check in the back. Most won't know/care that they aren't supposed to be selling it yet. If you ordered in on amazon though they're always conscious of release dates and they won't mail it out until Nov 10.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm sure that some stores/libraries have it on their shelves already.
As it turns out, my library is one of them. It's coming home with my mom tonight, so I'll be reading it tonight/tomorrow.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Lucky you. I have to wait until the 11th. only 7 more days!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:26 pm

And my library request has been "in transit" (intralibrary loan) for two days, so I'm hoping I can pick it up tomorrow!

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:48 pm

If the libraries you get books from are any like the ones I get mine from, you might as well buy it. When I wanted to read Children of the Mind, it was in transit for 3 weeks. Ah well. I got the book in the end though, and I didn't have to pay. So maybe waiting is better...I guess I'm just an impatient person.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:36 pm

Uh, no, my library system is not like that. I request books from other libraries in the system many times a month and it usually is 1-3 days of transit time, as long as it is checked in. I will buy EinE once it comes out in pb but I never buy the hc, I just don't like them.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:58 pm

I'm not searching this thread because I want to get back to my tv for election coverage, but Jason, did you seriously make it into the Thanks of another Enderverse book?

If so, I'm arming myself with a giant pin in the event that your head swells to unprecedented proportions.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:24 pm

You tell me, did I? I haven't seen it yet.

All I know is that I responded to a thread OSC made on hatrack to help him straighten out a few things, and I was notified that I would receive a free (and presumably autographed) copy of the book as a thanks, but he actually didn't say if I (or the others who helped) would be mentioned in the book, and I thought it'd be impolite to ask. So, am I actually in there?
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:42 am

Page 374. In bold, even. :)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:57 am

Sweet!

Although the book has fewer pages than I thought...
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:13 pm

So, I just picked up IGMS and EinE. I also just started SotG to refresh. So, now I have to read SotG, the select Enderverse stories from IGMS and EinE before it is due back in two weeks. I think this will take more than my usual hour of reading before bed each night.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:52 pm

Page 374. In bold, even. :)
*sigh* did I mention that knowing this has made waiting to receive my copy even harder?
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:50 pm

so is EiE available in libraries now but not in bookstores?
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:37 pm

I don't know about all libraries but my two separate library systems both have it and Alea's does too.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:56 pm

I'm actually surprised that you and Alea were able to get it so easily. Even if my library system did have it (it's still listed as "on order") and if I did want to borrow it, there are currently 8 holds placed on 2 copies, so that'd be several weeks of waiting.

According to an online availability check a number of book stores in my area have it available, but when I checked one on my way in from work it wasn't actually on the shelves yet. :x

If I'd actually wanted to buy a copy I'm sure I could have asked a salesperson to get it from the back.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:01 pm

Well, you see Jason, I put a request in at both library systems as soon as they had the book on order...which was probably back in July or August. That's why I was top on the list to get it. I'm sure at this point, there are tons of hold requests for it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:08 pm

Whereas I had been ignoring this thread for the most part and thus had no solid idea of when the book was coming out. I told my mom Monday night to please place it on hold for me when she went to work Tuesday and Thursday afternoon she called to say she had it in her hot little hands.

I was surprised but pleased.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:20 pm

So, I finished it. I won't post a spoiler warning because I won't be giving any details; just my overall impression.

Some parts of it read in much the same way I'd expect Enderverse fanfiction to read, if it were allowed to be made and shared. Other parts I was able to connect to, much the same way I was able to connect to EG and the Saga. Those parts, however, were much fewer and farther between but the fact that they were there at all was nice. Other parts yet made me angry and I'll very clearly say it has to do with the representation of Bean as being the superior to Ender (sorry if that comes off as spoilerish, though I don't see how it could). But those parts, too, were rare.

Overall, I enjoyed it and thought that, for what it was trying to accomplish (tying up some loose ends, showing what happened to Ender after the war), it did a fairly good job. I could mostly believe the emotional/mental path he took between EG and EiE, and the person he becomes in the Saga.

I'll buy the book eventually and I'll even reread it (which is more than I can say I've done for the Shadow series).

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:58 pm

This might be something of interest: Win a free signed copy
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:15 am

Well, my library and I are not currently on speaking terms, but I did manage to get a hold of a copy by tapping a sekrit source (it's not name dropping if I don't mention any names!). I'm going to go read it right now.

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:05 pm

“The Ender's Saga book covers aren't related whatsoever to the books, so they won't illustrate anything from the story.

At least, that's what I seem to remember. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. “

Indeed it seems as if this statement were somewhat true. The first edition US cover was a picture of a space ship flying above some sort of space structure. A planet is in the distance, which I think is meant to imply the Bugger Homeworld. I spent a rather long time trying to figure out what exactly the art was supposed to represent, but to no avail. As for the young adult cover, I really don't like this one (apparently Orson Scott Card said this at one time also). There's a picture of a kid in a blue jump suit holding up his hand (Ender is fascist) in salute (?); the background is simply a blue wall with some thing on the wall; there are a few other children on the wall. (you can see that the artist was obviously unfamiliar with null-gravity) The picture is trying to represent the Battle Room, though I would never have thought of it like the way it is illustrated ever in my life. (I mean blue background and blue flash suits, what the heck the person was thinking). I really don't like this cover and Ender's Shadow young adult for that reason. As for Das Grosse Spiel (which is the German version of Ender's Game; title means The Big Game), this one looks different than any of the American covers; for one thing, the art does not encompass the entire front cover, unlike the American covers. As for the actually art, the picture seems to be in two sections, top and bottom. The top is a picture of an open field with some trees and a large purple-ish building. There is a blue sky with some clouding above the field and some Metriod (?) like thing is in the air. As for the second screen, the bottom one, there is a boy (Ender Wiggin Maybe) inside of a space capsule type thing and an outer-space like background. And going back to the top screen, now that I think about it, the top screen may represent the fantasy game and the End of the World, but the bottom screen is unknown, nothing like a space capsule appears the book. Personally, I'd say that although the cover of Das Grosse Spiel isn't my favorite, it isn't my least favorite and I'd say it was actually pretty well drawn.

Ender's Game Author's Definitive 1991 edition:

Ender's Game Young Adult:

Das Grosse Spiel:

(Note I haven't reviewed the Shadow Series Covers or most foreign covers)

Then when I picked up Speaker for the Dead (which was the same day I got the Iliad and another book I can't remember from the public library system; the Iliad was by far the thickest), I noticed the picture of some sort of big sci-fi-ish futuristic looking building with some roads extending outward, and I automatically assumed the book would feature this building. I was sure surprised to find out that there was not building what so ever in the entire book (it might have been the headquarters of the Starways congress).

Speaker for the Dead First Edition:

Xenocide's US cover is one of the few US enderverse covers that make legitimate sense; it is a picture of a spaceship approaching a planet, which is likely to be Lusitania. The cover art, which was likely done by a different artist than Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead (Which by the way, was John Harris), seems to represent of the impending threat of the Lusitania Fleet, which is carrying the dreaded weapon that has not been used for over 3000 years, the Molecular Disruption Device, the MDD, the little doctor. Overall, I think this cover is OK, nothing extraordinary. One thing to notice though is the coloration seems a little diminished, I don't know if that is the right word.

Xenocide US first edition:

For Children of the Mind's cover, it seems as if John Harris has again done the job of creating the cover art of an Ender book. Like Speaker for the Dead, looked at the picture, trying to figure out what the heck it was supposed to be. The first thing that you will notice when you see this picture is the really big starship-like thing (personally I think it looks kind of like the Falcon Flyer from F-Zero and Super Smash Brothers) protruding out of something like the Death Star (?) or a similar object. On the right hand corner, there is a smaller spaceship flying towards the general direction of the larger one. On the spine of Children of the Mind, there is a magnified view of this ship. In the background, a planet can be seen. Based on the size of the planet, it is likely the artist intended for the foreground (i.e. the spaceships) to be within relatively close proximity to the planet. This picture seems to be painted on canvas, but I wouldn't know for sure for I don't know a lot about painting. I'd say that Children of the Mind's cover art is my favorite of the four US Ender saga books.

Children of the Mind:

War of Gift's cover is rather simple and strait forward; there is some sort of space station type thing obviously meant to be the Battle School against a multicolored background. The background seems to revolve around a single point in space, which is probably meant to be the sun. I’d say that I like this one as it is.

A War of Gifts:

As for Ender in Exile, the cover it seems to be painted by the same artist as A War of Gifts. (This means to imply that also that both covers were painted). There is a single spaceship flying into an unknown patch of multicolored space. (Unfinished)

Ender in Exile First Edition US:
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Nice critiques, but you probably could have done without the large images, seeing as how we probably all know what the covers look like. :wink:

Anyway, scifi.com gave EiE a decent review. This bit at the end made me chuckle:
The afterword to this book details the complex ways by which issues of continuity were crowd-sourced to Card's fanbase. Truly, we are living in the future our literary ancestors imagined.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:03 pm

I'm really excited. I'm going straight to the book store after school and picking up my copy of E in E. I'm also buying new copies of CotM, SotH, SP, SotG, and EG because my copies are falling apart.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:44 pm

I remember Borders had Shadow of the Giant on sale a week before it came out and I meant to check there last week to see if they had EiE on sale, but never made it. But I'm really excited about a new Ender book and can't wait to get my hands on it.

I'm glad the response has been better than the Shadow series.

Salaam

CreoleBeanFan
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CreoleBeanFan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:10 pm

I just bought Ender In Exile. Tonight, I'm turning off TV's, laptops, workstations, and celphones, lighting a fire (in the fireplace), and doing some good old fashioned reading!! Maybe a beer or two.

Okay, I'll leave the celphone on ... but I'm definitely looking forward to digging into this book tonight!!

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:51 pm

I'm so happy. I just got my copy and I'm ready to read. The next few days of my life will have no purpose but to read this book. :)

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:12 pm

I picked it up at the bookstore today but didn't buy it (probably will buy it friday).

Unfortunately I also picked up the Graveyard book and read the first couple pages. 10 million times more mesmerizing and interesting from the first two words than any of the pages I read of EiE (I-O). I'm going to be much more tempted to buy the Graveyard book instead this weekend, cause I really want to read it more. :P
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:52 am

I've bought it! But I'm only on chapter 4, because I wasn't allowed to stay up and read it.
I was all giddy in the bookstore. 'Cause the cover is shiny.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”