Reasons for a Child Commander

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
shark025
Launchie
Launchie

Reasons for a Child Commander

Postby shark025 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:19 pm

I thought that the fact that Ender was a child was an interesting aspect of the book. I believe that the reason why a child was chosen to lead the human forces against the buggers was because a child would not hold anything back. Adults are a lot more conservative when it comes to important events. Children on the other hand will throw anything they have got their opposition, and that was exactly what the human force needed against the large bugger force. What is everyone else’s view on this subject?

Pixel
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Pixel » Tue May 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Well, also, brain cells cease growing, the body ceases growing, and the learning curve begins to slow down and decrease as one becomes an adult.

A pre-teen to teenage aged commander would be in their prime state. For instance, a young boy's body would be able to stand all the constant battles every day, lack of sleep, and needed concentration better than an old man's could've. Like Mazer said, he had been losing his touch.

But, you're definitely right, there was a psychological aspect to it.

crazyjane
Launchie
Launchie

Postby crazyjane » Sun May 18, 2008 10:35 pm

Good point about the physical aspect of it, the push and the exhaustion.

I thought part of it was also that they'd be able to fool a child into thinking it was just simulations, but an adult may have pressed deeper, asked more questions, and discovered the truth. Especially the fact that the "games" were played using old, outdated ships. An adult wouldn't have let that slide, and while Ender thinks its odd, he goes along with it anyway.

I think there's also a level of creativity to it. A child is more likely to be able to think outside the box, use the resources he has in the best ways, whereas an adult may not come up with those solutions.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Mon May 19, 2008 1:11 am

They needed and sought out children because children's minds are constantly changing, adapting to situations. The mind is not fully grown yet at the age that Ender was first recruited. Thus, in a full course of training at Battle School, their minds will be filled only with the information needed for war. That way, when the threat finally presents itself, the children will be ready, fully trained for command situations in wartime. They will not hold anything back, and also, because they are deceived, they will just think they are playing games. All of you were right for the most part, its just that part about indoctrinating them in war from an early age. It would only work that way. Even in wartime nowadays you find soldiers who just cannot hack it in the s***. I know, I've been in the military. But get kids in there who've barely had time to learn how to BE a kid and fill them with information solely related to war, and in less time than you think, you can breed them for war.

Birdshine
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Birdshine » Wed May 21, 2008 10:15 pm

You know what they say, Generals always fight the last war. A child has no wars to fall back on, its a completely new experience, and they are forced to be inventive.
Let's never speak of this again! Speaking comes between good friends.

Petra_Arkanian
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Petra_Arkanian » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:45 pm

I wouldn't say it's because you can lie to them easier than adults - Children are usually a lot more sensitve than adults, and they rely on their feeling of a situation, rather than the s**t they're being fed by whomever they're speaking to. I find children are often more difficult to lie to, because they use intuition rather than reasoning based on words.

I would say children as military commanders would be an excellent idea, except for the fact that you're taking a "life" away from the kid. Hm...

But yes, they'd be more inventive, more frugal with the lives of their men, their minds are still growing and changing, etc.

I'm actually curious as to why the gov't hasn't started taking gifted children out. Granted, unlike Ender's futuristic world, we aren't bred for superintellegence, gifted kids are few and far between. But even so, it would be a chance for better education for said children - they too often get the short end of the stick when it comes to school. I suppose it happens when you become brighter than your teacher.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:19 pm

"And it had to be a child, Ender," said Mazer. "You were faster than me. Better than me. I was too old and cautious. Any decent person who knows what warfare is can never go into battle with a whole heart. But you didn't know. We made sure you didn't know. You were reckless and brilliant and young. It's what you were born for."
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”