Colonel Graff

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.

Was Colonel Graff's actions of manipulation of the Battle Schoolers morally wrong?

Yes
No votes
No
65%
Undecided
No votes
Yes, they were wrong, but the result, plus his actions throughout the Shadow series made up for it.
35%

Total votes: 17

Pixel
Launchie
Launchie

Colonel Graff

Postby Pixel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:02 pm

I don't know if there's already a topic like this, but, whatever.

Graff is such an overlooked character, in my opinion. And there's a reason for it. Reason being, in Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, he's such a mysterious, seemingly cruel manipulator and puppeteer. They make him seem like the bad guy. Yes, I know, it all boils down to opinions, and many could argue that he WAS morally wrong of a person in some ways (I'd agree with you somewhat.) However, towards the end of Ender's Game, in the end of Shadow of the Giant, and in the short story The Polish Boy, we see different sides of Graff.

The end of EG (And Ender's Shadow) showed Graff's determination in defeating the Buggers, his loyalty to protecting the human race, and his trust in the Jeesh.

In the end of Shadow of the Giant (spoilers ahead, ye have been warned,) in his email to Bean, we see a good side of Graff. I thought this part was great, as it showed that Graff was proud and sympathetic for Bean. That he really DID care about the Battle Schoolers' happiness, and that he did want to make up for toying and defiling their minds in the past. He did all he could to help Bean.

Then, just now, I finished reading the short story "The Polish Boy." In the last few paragraphs, I just realized how extremely smart Graff is. We Enderverse fans seem to neglect how extremely clever he is. The Polish Boy proved how far ahead he thinks, and how he can manipulate people successfully to get what's best for the human race.

Do you guys think Colonel Graff needs more attention? Everyone views him as a villainous type of character, but after reading all of the series, he was really just an intelligent, sympathetic hero, just like Ender and Bean were.
Last edited by Pixel on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lizete
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lizete » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:10 pm

Hmmm, Since the first time I read EG, I've never thought he was the bad guy of the story :o
Because, we often have, in their private conversations between "adults", the words "Yes, I love him too".

Why don't start a poll? :D
huh?

Pixel
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Pixel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:21 pm

Alright. Started a poll.

Maybe "bad guy" wasn't a good term to use. Yeah, I know Graff had high hopes in Ender, but he did a LOT of lying to Ender and the others. He hurt a lot of feelings, and both he and Mazer put Ender and the others through a hard physical, mental, and psychological struggle. All while tricking them.

CandyMoon
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CandyMoon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:14 pm

I think he does deserve more attention. Sure, as you said in the previous post, he put those kids through a lot of crap. But in the end he did it to save the human race. He understood that sometimes a few had to sacrifice for many.

I'm not saying it was morally right, in a time of peace it wouldn't have been tolerated. But he did what he had to to help save Earth. He was smart and, in a way, sacrificed a good bit himself.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:18 pm

I voted no. He treated Ender and all the other kids with all the compassion that he could. What's more, he was honest to Ender from the start by telling him that he would be happier if he stayed with his family. Then again, as he said that he also lead Ender to believe that his family would be happier without him though... Still I've always seen Graff as a very honourable man.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

TheRealAchilles
Launchie
Launchie

Postby TheRealAchilles » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:08 pm

The ends justifies the means.

Yes, Graff put the kids through a lot of sh*t. But the end result was the destruction of the Buggers (deemed "good" at the time of their destruction) and the expansion of mankind through space. All in all, the crap Graff put the Battle Schoolers through was worth it on a much larger scale.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”